01. The Earth Only Endures
02. Forests Ash By Dawn
03. Toward Mountains
04. The Elemental
05. Stormcall
06. Children Of The Iron Age
07. A Place Among Stars
08. Skysong

Children Of The Iron Age brings chill like a winter dusk. Some songs will have you shivering violently while the howling winds burn your face; others bring you inside, sit you in front of the fire, and let you observe the snow beautifully falling on the frozen trees.

Wayfarer's debut features a mesmerizing, unyielding arc of music. Their brand of atmospheric US black metal is characterized by elements of soothing acoustic music, a slight post metal influence, bits of death metal, and a hint of neofolk (or maybe the coldness of the music just brings to mind the outdoors). The songwriting feels a bit scattered at times, but this often works in the album's favor, never causing the music to break down. It comes at us from multiple angles, encircling us before we even realize it.

The songs are long and relentless, many over 10 minutes. They churn together to form a whirlwind of icy, dismal mood. I've seen the word "Cascadian" thrown around to describe Wayfarer, which is inevitably followed by "Agalloch." Let's be clear: Agalloch can be in this conversation in a "recommended if you like" capacity and not remotely as prefix to "sounds a lot like." Recent young bands (like fellow countrymen Arbor) playing cold, atmospheric black metal have extended a new branch on the family tree.

Varying tempos bring opportunities for some slow build-ups, which in turn enhance the well-done extreme vocals. Guitarists Tanner Rezabek and Shane McCarthy both lend their voices to this aural painting. All is mixed just so by Dave Otero (Cobalt, Cattle Decapitation), so as to create a living beast of art.

Truly a special release, this gorgeous debut should be heard by any fan of atmospheric metal music. Personally, I am loving the shit out of it. Listen and buy at Bandcamp, or purchase the gatefold double vinyl (which also includes an exclusive bonus track) from Prosthetic Records' webshop.

Written on 02.12.2014 by Susan appreciates quality metal regardless of sub-genre. Metal Storm Staff since 2006.

Twitter: @HeavyMetalSusan

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 243 users
02.12.2014 - 11:16
Frodd
Account deleted
Very interesting, I'm gonna check this out.

The band name does ring a bell though, and for a minute I could have sworn I'd listened to them before. Must have confused them with another band.
02.12.2014 - 15:09
krrrrebets
Account deleted
Nice music for winter nights. Thanks. A new band for me so I'll soon take a deeper look into them.
03.12.2014 - 02:23
Rating: 8
scaesura

A really, really solid album even if it could use a bit more brevity. Also, class dudes, all four of em.
03.12.2014 - 03:27
Rating: 9
Susan
Smeghead
Written by Guest on 02.12.2014 at 15:09

Nice music for winter nights.

Oh, it so very much is!!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
03.12.2014 - 12:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Susan on 03.12.2014 at 03:27

Written by Guest on 02.12.2014 at 15:09

Nice music for winter nights.

Oh, it so very much is!!

yes it is because if its getting dark between 14:30 and 15:00 as night dark, you need something like this
I just tried album out indeed great
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.12.2014 - 14:13
Hallford9000

Very listenable album. black influences are light and melodic. a nice example of a band that doesn't follow a generic formula but manages to create their sound. nicely done, pleasant listen. time will tell if it is any more.
03.12.2014 - 21:02
lenirI

You do not deserve to rate albums; you're not realistic at all !
03.12.2014 - 21:23
Ilham
Giant robot
I feel sorry for Susan whose reviews attract dum... alternative people.
06.12.2014 - 19:43
Susan
Smeghead
Written by Hallford9000 on 03.12.2014 at 14:13

Very listenable album. black influences are light and melodic. a nice example of a band that doesn't follow a generic formula but manages to create their sound. nicely done, pleasant listen. time will tell if it is any more.

Indeed; I am eager to see what time does tell! This album has revealed new secrets with each listen, but that's admittedly over a short period of time. It will either continue to unfold or it will settle into a beautiful and pleasant listen. I don't think it will grow stale, ever.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
24.12.2014 - 13:09
.:Nataras:.
.:Saratan:.
Thanks Susan! it's a great album!
----
.:Saratan:.
25.12.2014 - 19:54
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
This "brand" of atmospheric black metal is the hottest product on the shelves right now - many are making it - but I am sold. Let's hurry and enjoy this release before it gets buried under the barrage of clones that are competing and the plenty more sure to follow. Excellent review and thanks.
----
rekt

Hits total: 5942 | This month: 13