04. Heartburst
05. Indifference Turned Paralysis
06. The Memory Of Bleeding
07. Souls In Permafrost
08. Searching The Stars
09. Reminiscence Of Strangers
10. Lifelines Lost
11. Retrospectus

The progressive aspirations of While Heaven Wept have taken them a long way from the doom of Vast Oceans Lachrymose, and in a matter of five years they've made a dramatic change of stylistic face. Suspended At Aphelion continues the band's uplifting departure from their point of origin with a lighter sound and brisker delivery that dissolves the doom element entirely.

Fear Of Infinity retained its fair share of doom metal tones and slower tempos, albeit in compositions of a heightened melodiousness, the latter cast across this new record in a more progressive light in terms of both the general keyboard texturing as well as the song structures. The guitar patterns are layered more intricately and with an emphasis on vocal arrangements and attempted classical ornamentation with the use of prominent strings in the introductory and concluding instrumental pieces, as well as piano and acoustic segments throughout. The centred ballad in "Heartburst" serves as the primary example of said emphasis, its placement between tracks more substantiated by the up-tempo rhythm section making it standout clearly as a soft key graced piece.

The tightly woven "Indifference Turned Paralysis" is most indicative of the progressive nature of the record, as it strikes out a guitar driven instrumental delivered in knottier chords, keyboard enhancement, backing choir and the random interjection of a distinctive acoustic segment following the three minute mark. It's the accelerant nature of this track that cements the notion that While Heaven Wept have progressed well beyond doom metal to produce an album more accurately described as a particularly melodic and generic form of progressive metal, with little maintenance of the low-end of their hitherto heavier basis, resulting in a much lighter record in Suspended At Aphelion.

Primarily clean vocals are offered contrasting arrangements in "Icarus And I" the delivery bearing a mildly rasping distinction to provide two characterising voices in what is a thematically focused record. The seguing cohesiveness between the tracks "Icarus And I" and "Ardor" constitutes a significant portion of the album's forty minute duration, and much of what the band set out to achieve is demonstrated within these two parts.

While the record is cohesively built around a concept, such being a hallmark of prog and indicative of the band's intentions, the appearance of a progressive nature in Suspended At Aphelion stems more obviously from the instrumentation, in terms of both structure and the complete departure of their style from doom whilst retaining a clear sense of identity, portrayed best in the vocal arrangements.

With all the doom stripped from their sound, While Heaven Wept produce a moving, if comparatively insubstantial and lightweight, record with this latest effort.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 7

Written on 05.12.2014 by R'Vannith enjoys music, he's hoping you do too.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 126 users
05.12.2014 - 12:43
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I thought I would like this. After reading your review, I'm not so sure anymore.

I'm drawn to the progressive side of it but scared by the "generic" of it. Either way, I'll be checking this out
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
05.12.2014 - 12:56
Rating: 7
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by BloodTears on 05.12.2014 at 12:43

I thought I would like this. After reading your review, I'm not so sure anymore.

I'm drawn to the progressive side of it but scared by the "generic" of it. Either way, I'll be checking this out

It is interesting to hear what used to be a doom metal band playing progressive metal, I'd suggest checking it out for that reason alone. It's certainly not an offensively generic listen by any means.
05.12.2014 - 15:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
This one is a step up from their previous one and actually a very good progressive album for people that enjoy EARLY Fates Warning. However WHW have nothing to do with doom anymore, musically. But then again Fear Of Infinity als had ntohing to do with doom, musically and they have never been a purely doom band. And the band are the first to admit to that.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.12.2014 - 15:34
carltonh

The first paragraph of the review is right on. The last sentence... well, instead of "light-weight", I'd say it's gone so far from doom to be light-hearted. It is now closer to The Flower Kings type prog, minus the extended 20 minute jazzy interludes.
05.12.2014 - 15:43
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.12.2014 at 15:06

This one is a step up from their previous one and actually a very good progressive album for people that enjoy EARLY Fates Warning. However WHW have nothing to do with doom anymore, musically. But then again Fear Of Infinity als had ntohing to do with doom, musically and they have never been a purely doom band. And the band are the first to admit to that.

They did have their own style of doom prior to Fear Of Infinity, and it was primarily doom, albeit often more up-tempo with some derivation from heavy metal. Fear Of Infinity clearly has doom elements as well, though obviously much less than earlier records. Yes, the band do openly acknowledge that their music can't be called exclusively doom metal, and they don't classify it themselves as such, especially with this album here, which has no doom elements whatsoever.
05.12.2014 - 15:47
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by carltonh on 05.12.2014 at 15:34

The first paragraph of the review is right on. The last sentence... well, instead of "light-weight", I'd say it's gone so far from doom to be light-hearted. It is now closer to The Flower Kings type prog, minus the extended 20 minute jazzy interludes.

I believe your "light-hearted" description is what I was getting at when I use the word "uplifting," as a way to describe the vibe of the music. There really isn't any sense of doom in the general mood.
05.12.2014 - 19:27
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
It's a let down for sure, but doesn't deserve such a low rating.
For the people who are unfamiliar with WHW, go listen to Vast Oceans Lachrymose instead.
05.12.2014 - 22:30
Doge of Venice

If anyone is interested in knowing more about why the album sounds as light as it does, I had a back and forth on youtube comments with Tom. I quoted it here. Simply put, he says the next album will be leaning more on the heavier side.

This album I found quite ok. Not fantastic, and definitely lacks the atmosphere of earlier albums. But it's still pretty decent. Better than Fear of Infinity.
06.12.2014 - 00:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Doge of Venice on 05.12.2014 at 22:30

Better than Fear of Infinity.

I totally agree with you on that. Even though it moight be less heavy. But FoI has as much doom in it as this one, none at all, no matter what this reviewer says
Tom knows my opinion on FoI btw.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.12.2014 - 06:09
Grom

Hmm... I see this band isn't playing their original genre. I'll rate this poorly.
----
Amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Hits total: 4208 | This month: 6