01. The Staircase
02. Terra Vindicta
03. Green Dragon
04. Hyperion
05. Antipode
06. Passage Of Gaia
07. Solar Lament
08. Destroy The Urn

Encountering the influence of post-rock within the confines of doom metal isn't a commonality, as the prevalence of generic tendencies that seem so entrenched in doom would make such claims seem superficial and false. As the title indicates, Passage Of Gaia possesses a lush and vibrant individuality of sound that unusually projects the general despondency of a genre in a palpably fresh way. Original life and inspiration springs here.

A distinctively natural texture to this record is brought forward most clearly by the production which has an exceptional and amplified quality of enhancing the vocals, guitars, bass and drums and giving the overall performance such a clear expression at the very face of the mix. The resultant upfront clarity provides a very bold and loud sound which is characterised by raw edge. Though not without adequate mastering polish, it certainly isn't overproduced, and it's all the more enjoyable because of it. Simply the texture of this record alone makes it a pleasurable experience, and we have yet to assess the song writing involved behind its finish.

The structural integrity and density of doom is foundational in the track-list; eight tracks which more-or-less maintain a doom metal rubric at the core, yet tempered with post-rock in the framework. A few numbers such as track four, entitled "Hyperion," would set out an up-tempo tread that moves the metal at higher points of melodic punch, the pounding kit accelerating to the escalating guitar leads. They would seem to breach the doom classification, if it weren't for the consistently maintained tone bearing enough weight and bass bolstering to make the doom persistently expressed throughout the record. Vocal arrangements are clean and well performed, even if a bit monotone in what is a very emotive delivery. The backing feminine vocal presence is particularly alleviating in this respect, such as is found in "Green Dragon" and the title track, offering conjunction rather than contrast and establishing some expressive variance.

The post-rock influence generally sets a rhythmic consistency within the tunes that slowly builds the doom metallic tones toward their climaxes, which maintain a strong focus and attentiveness to melody for much of the duration. Guitar distortions receive some emphasis in tracks such as those toward the end of the aforementioned "Green Dragon," which culminates in a lumbering pace and background growl, likely to evoke some meaning from its title.

Singing dragons aside, this is a clear maturation of style from a band that have already been establishing themselves in the studio for a number of efforts now, and their Passage Of Gaia brings with it a new path in doom.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written on 06.12.2014 by R'Vannith enjoys music, he's hoping you do too.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 159 users
06.12.2014 - 12:18
Rating: 8
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Milwaukee's own! Really good stuff and thanks for the review R'!
----
rekt
06.12.2014 - 17:08
PocketMetal
Thanks, didn't know about this band. I'll check them out.
06.12.2014 - 19:41
Rating: 9
musclassia
staff
Cheers for introducing me to another fine band, I really like this album
07.12.2014 - 01:25
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
I saw this tagged under drone on Bandcamp and was initially really intrigued, but after listening to it a few times I don't really think that label's appropriate, it indeed is more like this "post doom metal" that you describe. Still a great album though, and that's some pretty bithcin artwork
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
07.12.2014 - 13:24
I really dig the artwork, and the album seems to be just as interesting. Will check it.
----
Hey there, tiny wench !
09.12.2014 - 01:41
DahliaRock
I really liked this album, but the only problem is that since the song structures and tonalities aren't miles apart from each other, it kinda starts wearing thin after a while. But it's definitely one album that I want to turn up from time to time to feel that tingling sensation down my spine

Hits total: 3809 | This month: 5