05. Cramunhão
06. Apex Predator
07. Insurrection
08. Not Losing The Edge
09. Father Of Hate
10. The Crucible
11. Deus Ex Machina [Limited Edition Digipak bonus]
12. Porra [Limited Edition Digipak bonus]

The ever industrious Max Cavalera is back with his Cavalera Conspiracy project that includes his brother, Igor. With a release schedule that sees him releasing one album every year either with Cavalera Conspiracy or Soulfly, one instantly wonders whether Pandemonium will be a good album. After all, quantity does not necessarily imply quality. Indeed, the last few albums have seen a mixed response from the fan base and critics alike, which overall seems to indicate overall quality is at least inconsistent.

The first noticeable change compared to the band's previous effort, Blunt Force Trauma, is that Pandemonium is noticeably heavier. In fact it shifts the standard Max death/thrash formula to a more death metal style than the more classic thrash stylings of Blunt Force Trauma. There is an increase in the portion of old school death metal riffs over usual groove thrash metal ones and the solos are often less melodic than previously. The overall production is heavier and rawer and Max's vocals are heavier and occasionally closer to death metal bellows as practiced by Gorefest's Jan-Chris de Keoijer. This follows on from Soulfly's Savages, which was an attempt at a rawer sound. The comparisons with Soulfly are unavoidable due to the overall similar style and presence of both Max as well as Soulfly's second guitarist, Marc Rizzo in the band.

At times there's even a slight industrial edge - a nod to Nailbomb (Max's industrial band) perhaps? And there's even a nod to Roots/Chaos A.D. era Sepultura with "Porra" sounding like a mixture of acoustic songs like "Kaiowas," "Itsari" and heavier stuff like "Biotech Is Godzilla." And those acoustic guitars sound great especially when contrasted against an underlying heavy distorted guitar. It also lets Igor showcase some of his tribal drumming.

The riffs aren't as catchy as Blunt Force Trauma or Inflikted. Bare in mind that this means it's still quite catchy compared to many death/thrash acts though. And when they do get really catchy, like on "Deus Ex Machina," it's head-banging bliss. The production assists in the overall heavier vibe but it does mean it sounds too muddy and unclear at times.

Whilst the album doesn't really break any new grounds for Max, it's quite a decent listening experience. In many ways though, it is interchangeable with most of Max's recent offerings, be they from Cavalera Conspiracy or Soulfly, but then that's been the case for some time now. It's not going to appease the jaded Sepultura fans but for the rest of us it's a welcome addition in the Max Cavalera catalogue.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written by deadone | 07.12.2014

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 152 users
07.12.2014 - 05:52
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Guilty pleasure admission, I actually really enjoy this new band and when I saw them a few years back in North Florida it was pretty damn good. It's not old school Sepultura of course, and it's never going to be, but still overall a worthy effort. Haven't scoped this one yet, but from your review consider me intrigued
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
07.12.2014 - 21:16
Rating: 6
sbgmetal

Its alright but c'mon now what happen to igor? he use to b a beast
08.12.2014 - 02:15
mz

Congs on your first front page review as far as I know.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
11.12.2014 - 09:26
drilltooth

Escape...... to the void...

Hits total: 4392 | This month: 10