01. Purulent Spiritual Interstellar Void
02. Through Cosmic Corridors
03. Advanced Matter Drive For Ecclesiastical Dust
04. Teller Control Panel
05. Denied Canonical Delivery [feat. William]
06. Virulent Arrival Of Demonic Hyper-Space Denomination
07. A World Out Of Time
08. Beyond The Event Horizon

The death metal genre has, quite thankfully, been seeing a notable spike in creativity in recent years. With the likes of Tribulation, Morbus Chron, and even Horrendous this year, a good number of bands seem to now be hell bent on updating the old school sound with their own original twists. Naturally, being the intense fan I am for solo work, I asked myself what the one man response to this growing trend would be. If you were wondering as well, question no longer, for Sxuperion is your answer.

Sxuperion revolves solely around its eponymous mastermind, "Lord Sxuperion." The project has seen a few demos and EPs over the past few years, but only now has that energy been channeled into a full length album, Through Cosmic Corridors. I kid you not when I say that the music here almost sounds as if Darkspace have gone death metal. Cosmically themed, a heavy synth/keyboard sound runs throughout, and some tracks, such as "A World Out Of Time" and "Beyond The Event Horizon" are purely instrumental, providing a nice change of pace from the death metal domination of the album if one happens to be looking for something a bit more relaxing.

Nonetheless, don't let that statement fool you. Through Cosmic Corridors is a metal album first and foremost, and a thundering, pounding sound takes precedence. The combination of excellent drumming and at times surprisingly catchy guitar riffs makes for some pretty headbanging music, and the guitar leads, when they do pop up, take a very psychedelic sort of approach, following along the spacey vibes at work here and sticking to that minimalist, "less is more" sort of style (see the title track especially). The vocals of Lord Sxuperion are especially delicious. Deep and vicious, they conjure thoughts of some of death metal's more lower-ranged vocalists, such as Karl Sanders, or even Chris Barnes, and serve the perfect accompaniment to those pummeling riffs that just hammer you into star dust.

There haven't been many (read that last word again) death metal albums this year that've left me overly impressed, but Sxuperion's debut is definitely cream of the crop, blowing many of the rest of them completely out of the water. Retaining the death metal sound a lot of us know and love, but with enough atmosphere and distinction of personality to not come across as too stale or redundant, Through Cosmic Corridors is, simply put, a fucking monster. Keep an eye out for this guy and any subsequent work he does, because he's going places with his sound.

Enter the cosmic corridors.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written on 10.12.2014 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 25   Visited by: 244 users
10.12.2014 - 17:39
Zap
You had me at "Darkspace gone death metal."
10.12.2014 - 18:05
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Zap on 10.12.2014 at 17:39

I think it's a pretty fair assessment, really great composition going on here
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
10.12.2014 - 18:27
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
I listened to it and was very impressed. Definitely something along the lines of "Darkspace death metal". Nice find and nice review, Che!
10.12.2014 - 18:59
V01d

Written by Zap on 10.12.2014 at 17:39

This. Definitely going to check this out. Awesome review.
10.12.2014 - 19:02
mz

Sounds like something I'd enjoy.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
10.12.2014 - 19:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Not bad. Probably one of the few bands you could genuinely call atmospheric death metal. Feels a little unrefined, the vocals are a bit iffy and that artwork is an eyesore but I reckon their sophomore album could be a serious force in death metal given the potential here.
10.12.2014 - 19:05
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 10.12.2014 at 19:03

Not bad. Probably one of the few bands you could genuinely call atmospheric death metal. Feels a little unrefined, the vocals are a bit iffy and that artwork is an eyesore but I reckon their sophomore album could be a serious force in death metal given the potential here.

Yeah, I might've gone a little too high here with scoring here, but I do think it's fair to say this is at least 8-9 material. The artwork looks more esoteric/magic-y than spacey to me, and I wish there were more of those psychy guitar leads. Some room for improvement definitely, but I wouldn't really say by that big a margin.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
10.12.2014 - 19:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 10.12.2014 at 19:05

Yeah, I might've gone a little too high here with scoring here, but I do think it's fair to say this is at least 8-9 material. The artwork looks more esoteric/magic-y than spacey to me, and I wish there were more of those psychy guitar leads. Some room for improvement definitely, but I wouldn't really say by that big a margin.

For me it's just some levels and production issues really. I'm really anal about production and sound these days. I've seen bands go from competent to amazing in one fell swoop though, like Abyssal did so I'll keep an eye out for future releases.

The artwork could be fine if it wasn't just so low-res, with the (rather ugly) logo and album title just plonked on top.
10.12.2014 - 19:17
Zap
Listened to some songs, and I agree with Joe; it feels unrefined. I think there's lots of room for improvement. As you said, more of those psychy guitar leads would be great. I also think the vocals could be a lot better (and probably also deeper in the mix) and the drum machine should either sound more like an actual drum or more like a drum machine, not this trying-to-sound-like-a-drumset-but-clearly-not-the-real-thing. I'm gonna finish the album though, and I do think it has a lot of potential. Looking forward to album 2.
You were right about it being "Darkspace gone death metal" though, that's definitely an accurate description.

And how the fuck am I supposed to pronounce that name??!!
10.12.2014 - 19:30
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Zap on 10.12.2014 at 19:17

And how the fuck am I supposed to pronounce that name??!!

I think the S is silent, I've just been saying it "Zoo-peer-ee-on"
----

~ II. VII
10.12.2014 - 19:34
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 10.12.2014 at 19:09

The artwork could be fine if it wasn't just so low-res, with the (rather ugly) logo and album title just plonked on top.

Yeah, looks a lot like your cliché black metal logo. The project is listed on MA as death metal/black metal, this one just sounds like atmospheric death to me, but there are still some previous demos and EPs I haven't looked at yet. Maybe some of the earlier material was more BM-ish
----

~ II. VII
10.12.2014 - 19:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Auntie Sahar on 10.12.2014 at 19:34

Written by Guest on 10.12.2014 at 19:09

Yeah, looks a lot like your cliché black metal logo. The project is listed on MA as death metal/black metal, this one just sounds like atmospheric death to me, but there are still some previous demos and EPs I haven't looked at yet. Maybe some of the earlier material was more BM-ish

Haven't heard this yet, but never trust MA. They list Grave Miasma as black/death.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.12.2014 - 19:46
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.12.2014 at 19:41

Haven't heard this yet, but never trust MA. They list Grave Miasma as black/death.

Yeah, I was skeptical myself, but again, that logo does give off something of a BM aesthetic, so I don't know. Off to the demos I go, I guess
----

~ II. VII
11.12.2014 - 07:44
Rating: 8
MetalDoomMaster

That was rather nice, but I would not recommend viewing that awful tiled Bandcamp background in a resolution higher than 1080. Thanks for the review, this album is definitely worth throwing a few dollars at.
11.12.2014 - 21:30
virvum

If being original in Death Metal these days means making hipster ambient black metal I'm switching to k-pop, it will be the most original Death Metal stuff in centuries. If you like it more power to you but not for me, this is a nutmeg bad trip.

You could review Harold and Kumar as a psychological thriller and it would be indeed very "original" compared to it's contemporaries.
11.12.2014 - 21:49
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by virvum on 11.12.2014 at 21:30

If being original in Death Metal these days means making hipster ambient black metal I'm switching to k-pop, it will be the most original Death Metal stuff in centuries.

I really hate how trying something creative within typically rigid genres these days is called "hipster" or "indie," like it's a degrading term. Here's a hint, not everybody trying out something more original is an edgy, pretentious dumbass.
----

~ II. VII
11.12.2014 - 22:12
virvum

Written by Auntie Sahar on 11.12.2014 at 21:49

Written by virvum on 11.12.2014 at 21:30

If being original in Death Metal these days means making hipster ambient black metal I'm switching to k-pop, it will be the most original Death Metal stuff in centuries.

I really hate how trying something creative within typically rigid genres these days is called "hipster" or "indie," like it's a degrading time. Here's a hint, not everybody trying out something more original is an edgy, pretentious dumbass.

I have no problem with the band doing their thing. It's the review itself that I find misleading in it's premise.
11.12.2014 - 23:13
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by virvum on 11.12.2014 at 22:12

I have no problem with the band doing their thing. It's the review itself that I find misleading in it's premise.

Well that seems to be your problem more so than the fault of the review itself. Please remember that reviews are at the end of the day, opinions, so not to be taken as 100% fact. Having said that, however, I would like to believe that the statement that there has been a spike of creativity in death metal in recent years is pretty hard to argue against. Have you checked out the recent albums by the band names I've mentioned? All fairly innovative and interesting interpretations of the subgenre while at the same time remaining true to their roots. Yes, this is all at the end of the day subjective interpretation, but based upon some pretty grounded facts I would say.
----

~ II. VII
11.12.2014 - 23:37
virvum

Written by Auntie Sahar on 11.12.2014 at 23:13

Well that seems to be your problem more so than the fault of the review itself. Please remember that reviews are at the end of the day, opinions, so not to be taken as 100% fact. Having said that, however, I would like to believe that the statement that there has been a spike of creativity in death metal in recent years is pretty hard to argue against. Have you checked out the recent albums by the band names I've mentioned? All fairly innovative and interesting interpretations of the subgenre while at the same time remaining true to their roots. Yes, this is all at the end of the day subjective interpretation, but based upon some pretty grounded facts I would say.

If I get this right I could write a solo flute album, slap a death metal sticker on it and have reviewers spew stuff like:

"This death metal release is like nothing you've ever heard before"
"Finally a death metal act that dares to go against the grain"
"A breath of fresh air that doesn't rely blindly on the clichés of death metal we're tired of hearing"

Which are all true in a sense but I think fans of the genre will be disappointed when they expected death metal but hear a dude playing flute alone for an hour.
11.12.2014 - 23:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I remember talking to you about this kind of thing a while back. No offense but you seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder regarding the state of death metal. You seem somewhat defensive of the genre's more traditional nature.

I don't really understand what you're saying. It seems to be red-herring talk from where I'm sitting. Perhaps if you engaged with the modernity of death metal in the past years you'd be able to recognise when an album offers something new.

Fans of the "genre" have way more generic and standard death metal to gorge on than they could ever need. There's really nothing wrong with giving props to bands that actually try something new, whether or not they entirely succeed. There's nothing misleading in this review.
11.12.2014 - 23:53
MetalDoomMaster

Written by virvum on 11.12.2014 at 23:37

If I get this right I could write a solo flute album, slap a death metal sticker on it and have reviewers spew stuff like:

"A breath of fresh air that doesn't rely blindly on the clichés of death metal we're tired of hearing"

Which are all true in a sense but I think fans of the genre will be disappointed.

You're taking this way out of context. If the album was shit, then the reviewer would have stated so based on his opinion. The reviewer isn't trying to say its good because its original, it just happens to be good and original.
12.12.2014 - 00:00
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by virvum on 11.12.2014 at 23:37

Yeah, I'm gonna stop explaining, you're obviously missing the point.
----

~ II. VII
12.12.2014 - 00:07
virvum

Written by MetalDoomMaster on 11.12.2014 at 23:53

You're taking this way out of context. If the album was shit, then the reviewer would have stated so based on his opinion. The reviewer isn't trying to say its good because its original, it just happens to be good and original.

The album can be good I, get that. It can be original too. What I don't get is that it is called death metal when it's not. I feel like someone is telling me that Katie Perry is drone doom.
12.12.2014 - 00:23
MetalDoomMaster

Written by virvum on 12.12.2014 at 00:07

The album can be good I, get that. It can be original too. What I don't get is that it is called death metal when it's not. I feel like someone is telling me that Katie Perry is drone doom.

What would you call it then? I hear quite a lot of death metal
12.12.2014 - 00:24
virvum

Written by MetalDoomMaster on 12.12.2014 at 00:23

Written by virvum on 12.12.2014 at 00:07

What would you call it then? I hear quite a lot of death metal

Black Metal would be a good start...

Hits total: 5070 | This month: 13