Reviewer:

1 user:
Band: Njiqahdda
Album: The Hanging Tree
Style: Atmospheric black metal, Psychedelic rock
Release date: February 2014

01. The Hanging Tree
02. Hangman's Hymn

To say that Njiqahdda have released a lot of albums would be an egregious understatement. The band has put out so much music, you begin to wonder how they make a living, as it certainly is not off of their recordings. Listening through much of their discography, it becomes quite clear how they manage to spew such a quantity of releases: they record every uninspired note that passes through their heads. The Hanging Tree is an excessively monotonous recording of stale black metal with little to be proud of.

The EP consists of two songs, both completely devoid of originality or engrossing content, so much so that the ennui becomes nearly palpable. Despite this, Njiqahdda felt it necessary to draw out the riffs and drones for a few minutes each, creating songs with respective lengths of 17 and 15 minutes. At a certain point in the first song you begin to wonder if this is meant to be a coherent recording or simply a collection of riffs with the same tempo and drumming to accompany. Regardless of the intent, The Hanging Tree provokes a strong sense of weariness.

The second track is a completely pointless recording, and seems to be an attempt at a haunting ambient experience, but comes across as repetitive and bland noise. It shows some potential, but ultimately fails to accomplish anything, as feedbacking guitars loop in the background aimlessly for 15 minutes until they finally fade away.

The vocals are of at least some quality: buried in the waves of pointless riffs, seemingly crying out for an end to the insufferable instrumentation. The vocalist utilizes a desperate wail, allowing each line to ring out to his last breath. This, coupled with the monotony, creates a very desperate atmosphere, which I actually find quite appealing. However these qualities are ultimately dragged down by the production, which lacks any sort of thought beyond the vocal placement. Everything seems to be on the same level, absent of any sort of unique or interesting layers. By failing to achieve even a remotely special production, any raw edge or personal attitude the EP may have had is lost upon the listener.

In the end, The Hanging Tree is just one speck of sand in the world of Njiqahdda. Having released such quality albums as Yrg Alms, this is not even remotely worth your time.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 6
Songwriting: 4
Originality: 4
Production: 5

Written by Alex F | 12.12.2014

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 33 users
12.12.2014 - 18:03
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Funnily I was just listening to Yrg Alms yesterday and thinking that I might have underestimated Njiqahdda due to the amount of releases. That one is very good. Actually up until now every release I heard by them is not bad at all. But then again I haven't listened much =P
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
12.12.2014 - 18:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yep. Pretty pointless release from what I recall.
12.12.2014 - 18:10
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Karlabos on 12.12.2014 at 18:03

Funnily I was just listening to Yrg Alms yesterday and thinking that I might have underestimated Njiqahdda due to the amount of releases. That one is very good. Actually up until now every release I heard by them is not bad at all. But then again I haven't listened much =P

A lot of their releases are indeed quite enjoyable, but every once in a while they put out an album/EP that's completely unnecessary. I'd say this is their worst release to date, but then again i haven't heard every album of theirs
13.12.2014 - 07:08
no one
Account deleted
What would be a good album? this band sounds interesting
13.12.2014 - 17:14
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 13.12.2014 at 07:08

What would be a good album? this band sounds interesting

Try "Yrg Alms". That's definitely my favorite of theirs
13.12.2014 - 21:54
no one
Account deleted
Written by Alex F on 13.12.2014 at 17:14

Try "Yrg Alms". That's definitely my favorite of theirs

k, cheers
23.12.2014 - 05:59
BreadGod
Account deleted
Don't like Njiqahdda? What's the matter? 2deep4u?
23.12.2014 - 06:12
no one
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 23.12.2014 at 05:59

Don't like Njiqahdda? What's the matter? 2deep4u?

i'm not sure anyone said they didn't like Njiqahdda, just not this particular album

Hits total: 1697 | This month: 7