Metal Storm logo
Goatwhore, Dying Fetus and support in Toulouse, 25/11/2014

Event: Dying Fetus: European Tour 2014
Written by: Darkside Momo
Published: 13.12.2014

Galleries:

Toulouse - Dying Fetus, Goatwhore and support by Darkside Momo (20)

As soon as the Toulouse date of this tour was announced, I knew I had to come. Goatwhore coming here? Hell yeah!!!

And so, on this not that cold night of November, I found myself back in that nice Dynamo venue - let's enjoy it while it lasts, as the place's got to close at the end of March next year.

Fallujah

First band to play ant start the violence was Fallujah, on the road to promote their second album The Flesh Prevails.

Their technical and quite progressive death(core) comes along nicely live. They're obviously talented guys - Ron Morey on bass had quite a Blacky (Voivod) look and style of playing, I must say - who are already relatively at ease on a stage. My only little gripe is that vocalist Alex sounds a bit too monotonous and repetitive.

Anyway, that was a good appetizer, who probably gained a few fans tonight. Promising!

Malevolence

Almost pure hardcore for this metal evening? This was sure to create some frictions. The band wasn't particularly welcomed, a few "boos" resounded here there (morons!). More frustrating was that hardcore windmilling from the few HxC fans, definitely that doesn't mix with metalheads . As a side note, I must report that one of this guys violently crashed into a friend of mine, taking him completely off-guard and pushing on a girl next to him. The domino effect pushed her straight on the metal support bar on the stage's side, knocking her unconscious. A bit dangerous, heh? But shit happens for sure?

Anyway, while the reception was lukewarm at best, the band played on valiantly, and there's no denying they're good at what they do: some catchy hardcore, with some metal spicing added here and there. Given a more hardcore audience, I guess these young guys (they're all around 20!) could have been explosive!

Here's their Myspace!

Goatwhore

I was here for them, and they didn't disappoint, that's for sure!

Goatwhore are the kind of violent, fun and catchy bands that are good on albums but who really, really shine in a live environment. It's where moshpits bloom, people headbang and crowdsurf that Goatwhore are at their very best, with Ben Falgoust, a charismatic vocalist for sure - he's also the best air guitar player I've seen as a frontman - and the tight as the proverbial duck's ass (© Collin) band around him that spared no effort to provide the goods. Sometimes, they felt like Venom done right: something really catchy, aggressive, raw, with an evil imagery as an icing upon the frostbitten cake.

Obviously, a mosh pit, while not as densely populated as the one to follow, was in full swing all along . So, I'll just quote my dear Editor In Chief to conclude: "Goatwhore ripped through over 40 minutes of awesomeness and were done playing way too soon. Seriously, check your local listings if they play somewhere close to you and go see them." Couldn't have said it better myself indeed!

Dying Fetus

But there are some bands, in each and every style, that just happen not to touch you at all. That's my problem with Dying Fetus: they utterly fail to move me one way or another. It's not that I didn't try to get in, headbang and mosh... It's just that, well, they somehow never clicked with me. No connection whatsoever.

Mark my words: they were impressive (there's no denying that), both in technicality and brutality - especially considering they are only three guys to create so much violence! But well, I felt unmoved. Probably because they were a bit too static - hey, they have no frontman like, say, Frank Mullen, who could pace the stage and rant as much as needed. Or maybe because neither John Gallagher nor Sean Beasley have Ross Dolan's charisma?

Oh well, whatever. They were acclaimed like the true heroes of the evening, and without surprise the mosh pit was easily the most violent and crowded one of the evening. Everyone (well, almost) enjoyed their one-violent-hour set a lot, moshed with abandon, and cheered whenever needed.

So yeah, obviously, a great live band to check and mosh to, but not for me next time?

Conclusion

Depends on whom you asked, either Goatwhore or Dying Fetus owned the day. You'll have guessed I'm in the Goatwhore camp!

Some rumors I've heard say that Goatwhore will be back again in Toulouse next year. Dunno if they're any truth in that, but I'll sure welcome them happily (evilly?) again! As for Dying Fetus, they'll be at Hellfest, right?

Once again thank a whole fucking lot to the Noiser team for the accreditation and for all the shows this autumn. Keep it up!

Written on 13.12.2014 by Once your regular Hellfest reporter, now retired. I (strangely enough) listen to a lot of metal. And enjoy good beers, comics, novels and role-playing games.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 52 users
13.12.2014 - 05:07
Susan
Smeghead
Awesome!! I saw Goatwhore once and they certainly owned THAT night! Sounds like an awesome show overall
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
13.12.2014 - 12:50
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Susan on 13.12.2014 at 05:07

Awesome!! I saw Goatwhore once and they certainly owned THAT night! Sounds like an awesome show overall

yeah it was... except that Goatwhore was too short
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
13.12.2014 - 16:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Cold night in France maybe that's why we have plus 4 here in November ....Darkside stoll all cold air from us
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.12.2014 - 16:24
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Bad English on 13.12.2014 at 16:17

Cold night in France maybe that's why we have plus 4 here in November ....Darkside stoll all cold air from us

hum well no. I wrote "not that cold" dunno exactly, but it sure was hotter than +4°C
----

I am awake"
13.12.2014 - 16:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Darkside Momo on 13.12.2014 at 16:24

hum well no. I wrote "not that cold" dunno exactly, but it sure was hotter than +4°C

then its not a cold LOL
I wish it was minus 25¤c atm LOL
----

apos;'
[image]
13.12.2014 - 17:37
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Bad English on 13.12.2014 at 16:35

Written by Darkside Momo on 13.12.2014 at 16:24

then its not a cold LOL
I wish it was minus 25¤c atm LOL

well here anything below +5°C is considered cold. So something between +5 and +10 is 'not that cold'
----

I am awake"
13.12.2014 - 17:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Darkside Momo on 13.12.2014 at 17:37

well here anything below +5°C is considered cold. So something between +5 and +10 is 'not that cold'

here if its dry and minus 20-30 you wont feel freezing at all as in like humid plus 2-3
----

apos;'
[image]
21.12.2014 - 14:30
Darkside Momo
Retired
Noiser finally put the videos online!
Fallujah
Malevolence
Goatwhore
Dying Fetus
Enjoy!
----

I am awake"
23.12.2014 - 10:21
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
I never connect with Dying Fetus, reasons same goes with what Momo stated above.

They're pretty dried up in studio, live they're average and overall handful of fans praise Dying for ferociousness. I never seen any ferocity and plus Fetus recycled concept after concept into new albums. Typical meh.

Hits total: 5052 | This month: 13