01. Thurisaz Dreaming
02. Building With Fire
03. One Thousand Years Of Rain
04. Nauthir Bleeding
05. In Times
06. Daylight

The Best Extreme Progressive Metal Album Of 2015

Additional info
Produced by Ivar Bjørnson, Grutle Kjellson Herbrand Larsen and Iver Sandoy.

Staff review by
Auntie Sahar
Rating:
Let no one ever have to question the consistency of the Norsemen in Enslaved. From the icy black metal of their debut, right down to the more complex nature of their recent material, the band have garnered a well deserved reputation as mature and innovative songwriters. 2015's In Times is a slightly more accessible mark in their discography, one that, while good, also feels as though it could have gone a little bit deeper.

Read more ››
published 03.03.2015 | Comments (44)

Found in 70 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 104   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 1494 users
15.12.2014 - 16:59
Rating: 8
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
=]
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
15.12.2014 - 21:07
Lit.
Account deleted
I too am happy.
15.12.2014 - 21:13
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Counting down the days.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
15.12.2014 - 21:43
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Should be really cool!
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
15.12.2014 - 22:43
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Come on.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
23.12.2014 - 19:11
Rating: 7
Netzach
Planewalker
Tracks 1 and 4 have very similar names and could be instrumentals, leaving us 4 really long tracks. Then again, maybe not.
24.12.2014 - 05:14
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Early prediction for an MS award in 2016. Their last 2 albums won (in different catagories), so will this continue the trend. Orphaned Land did the same, too.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
24.12.2014 - 06:46
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by M C Vice on 24.12.2014 at 05:14

Early prediction for an MS award in 2016. Their last 2 albums won (in different catagories), so will this continue the trend. Orphaned Land did the same, too.

They're one of the most well known among their genre, it tends to happen. :3
Besides I don't mind, Enslaved actually puts up good stuff, so it's not just hype
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
27.12.2014 - 13:28
s_t_s

Hmm only 6 tracks ? Makes me wonder how long they're going to be then. It's going to be hard to wait until then !
27.12.2014 - 13:31
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by s_t_s on 27.12.2014 at 13:28

Hmm only 6 tracks ? Makes me wonder how long they're going to be then.

Runtime is a bit over 50 minutes if I remember correctly.
27.12.2014 - 13:46
s_t_s

Written by Risto on 27.12.2014 at 13:31

Written by s_t_s on 27.12.2014 at 13:28

Hmm only 6 tracks ? Makes me wonder how long they're going to be then.

Runtime is a bit over 50 minutes if I remember correctly.

Thank for the info, didn't know running time was already known. Makes me think that I need to check Verterbrae, one of the few Enslaved albums that I skipped for mysterious reasons
09.02.2015 - 05:13
ATG

Can't wait Thurisaz Dreaming is sounding solid, definitely hearing more black metal in that one
17.02.2015 - 00:38
Netzach
Planewalker
Written by ATG on 09.02.2015 at 05:13

Can't wait Thurisaz Dreaming is sounding solid, definitely hearing more black metal in that one

Yeah and they did something to improve the vocals as well. Both harsh and cleans sound way... crispier.
02.03.2015 - 14:47
Rating: 6
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Omgomg

02.03.2015 - 15:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Excellent album (even I hate name prog in principles) ... band where we think in nostalgic way old was better, no it wasn't if you listen all bands albums in full length, you will see what I mean
Whit this prog black band create some master peace and stands out like mot garage demo drum programing ''trOO'' BM bands
I like this band, good one, well maybe few previous albums wasn't good, but its just relative , same whit Borknagar, new album simply blow me away, great
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.03.2015 - 15:54
Rating: 9
God Alone

Sure it's a damn solid work but nothing more. I guess it's very difficult to always sound refreshing after 20+ years and 12 albums.
02.03.2015 - 18:41
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
It is amazing how much the clean vocals have evolved and improved with each release. It really sounds like he has been getting some professional coaching. Stellar work and some similarities to Opeth. That is not to say that the growls are any less harrowing, but their use is a little more sparing. At times, some of the song structures feel simplified. Parts of Building With Fire sound like traditional rock. One Thousand Years of Rain, however, is gorgeous. The riffs are simultaneously blistering and sorrowful. We also see a return of folky, chanted interludes not unlike on Below the Lights or Eld. There are new sounds as well. One of the slower riffs has a very mellow, Deftones-sounding quality to it that is unlike anything else I have heard on prior albums. Things even get borderline jazzy at times. Those nervous about the song lengths can rest easy. Nothing is more annoying to me than a 10 minute track that sounds like one or two riffs on loop. Enslaved provide more than enough different content and smooth transitions in each song to keep them moving. In fact, this album seemed to fly by in no time at all. All in all, this may very well be their chilliest album to date, but still plenty enjoyable and well-written. It has fewer memorable moments than RIITIIR, but is more consistent. That final guitar outro is just blissful. Full review here.
Enjoyability=8
Musicianship=9
Innovation=9
Overall=8.7

Edit: I will admit I have for all these albums incorrectly assumed Grutle does all the vocals. That is very inaccurate.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
02.03.2015 - 20:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by flightoficarus on 02.03.2015 at 18:41

It is amazing how much Grutle's clean vocals have evolved and improved with each release. It really sounds like he has been getting some professional coaching. Stellar work and some similarities to Opeth. That is not to say that the growls are any less harrowing, but their use is a little more sparing. At times, some of the song structures feel simplified. Parts of Building With Fire sound like traditional rock. One Thousand Years of Rain, however, is gorgeous. The riffs are simultaneously blistering and sorrowful. We also see a return of folky, chanted interludes not unlike on Below the Lights or Eld. There are new sounds as well. One of the slower riffs has a very mellow, Deftones-sounding quality to it that is unlike anything else I have heard on prior albums. Things even get borderline jazzy at times. Those nervous about the song lengths can rest easy. Nothing is more annoying to me than a 10 minute track that sounds like one or two riffs on loop. Enslaved provide more than enough different content and smooth transitions in each song to keep them moving. In fact, this album seemed to fly by in no time at all. All in all, this may very well be their chilliest album to date, but still plenty enjoyable and well-written. It has fewer memorable moments than RIITIIR, but is more consistent. That final guitar outro is just blissful.
Enjoyability=8
Musicianship=9
Innovation=9
Overall=8.9

sounds like MS review
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.03.2015 - 20:23
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Bad English on 02.03.2015 at 20:20

sounds like MS review

Yeah, I went a little long here. Most of my mini-reviews form the structure of a larger review if I end up writing one. This will probably either turn into one here or on MA depending on where it seems more warranted.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
02.03.2015 - 20:38
Ilham
Giant robot
Hey, how about some quote trimming? This thread is going to be pages long, it would be cool if you guys learned to use that "delete" key and try to make it look less messy - starting with the first page.
02.03.2015 - 21:08
Fearmeister
Account deleted
How about we just stop writing reviews in comment threads?
02.03.2015 - 22:07
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
Written by flightoficarus on 02.03.2015 at 18:41

It is amazing how much Grutle's clean vocals have evolved and improved with each release.

dude, its Herbrand Larsen who sings the clean vox, check out http://youtu.be/vUywTdk2brI?t=2m35s
02.03.2015 - 22:17
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Haha holy shit! Did flight actually think it was the same guy this whole time?!
02.03.2015 - 22:26
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 02.03.2015 at 21:08

How about we just stop writing reviews in comment threads?

As long as it keeps him from writing those damn revenge reviews, I say let him. Not like anyone reads them anyway.
02.03.2015 - 22:30
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 02.03.2015 at 22:26

As long as it keeps him from writing those damn revenge reviews, I say let him. Not like anyone reads them anyway.

I think he gave up on those for this site as it takes so long for someone to proof-read them. Right now he's spamming reviews on MA as anyone who knows how to keyboard can post them.
03.03.2015 - 06:15
3rdWorld
China was a neat
This is a very strong album here if you remove the last two tracks that is, probably would've been a 9 if it wasn't for the last 2 totally uninspiring generic songs. Rest of the album is classic Enslaved though and special mention to the amazing sound of the bass in this album, probably the USP of it.
03.03.2015 - 06:52
Lit.
Account deleted
Already better than RIITIIR, not that that was difficult considering how disappointing it was compared to AEO. Seems like an album that'll get better with more listens, but the last two tracks are clearly the highlights and alone make the album better than the previous one. The title track has an amazing riff, and the end of Daylight is like freaking kingdom come.
03.03.2015 - 15:43
Risto
Wandering Midget
Damn, the outro of Thurisaz Dreaming is a little mindfuck. Took a while to realize the contrast between the dark choirs and the more uplifting riffing.
04.03.2015 - 01:22
Vombatus
Potorro
Rather good, liked it more than Riitiir but I think every subsequent album will suffer of the comparison with Axioma. Absolute love for the keyboardist's vocals (on Building with Fire, oh man....).

It's worth mentioning how these guys put out good varied music every 2/3 years, ridiculous consistency.
04.03.2015 - 04:33
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Yep, better than RIITIIR, thankfully. A LOT better, actually, needs more listens but this might be another of my favorites by Enslaved.
Hope this album finally brings this band over the western third world, damn.

Hits total: 27105 | This month: 45