01. Thurisaz Dreaming
02. Building With Fire
03. One Thousand Years Of Rain
04. Nauthir Bleeding
05. In Times
06. Daylight

The Best Extreme Progressive Metal Album Of 2015

Additional info
Produced by Ivar Bjørnson, Grutle Kjellson Herbrand Larsen and Iver Sandoy.

Staff review by
Auntie Sahar
Rating:
Let no one ever have to question the consistency of the Norsemen in Enslaved. From the icy black metal of their debut, right down to the more complex nature of their recent material, the band have garnered a well deserved reputation as mature and innovative songwriters. 2015's In Times is a slightly more accessible mark in their discography, one that, while good, also feels as though it could have gone a little bit deeper.

Read more ››
published 03.03.2015 | Comments (44)

Found in 70 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 4

Comments: 104   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 1494 users
04.03.2015 - 21:42
Rating: 9
God Alone

Fourth listen, and it's definitely improving. Goddamn this band is ridiculously consistent.
06.03.2015 - 00:16
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Ilham on 02.03.2015 at 20:38

Hey, how about some quote trimming? This thread is going to be pages long, it would be cool if you guys learned to use that "delete" key and try to make it look less messy - starting with the first page.

You can take the nigga out the MA, but you can't take the MA out the nigga
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
06.03.2015 - 00:22
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by God Alone on 04.03.2015 at 21:42

Fourth listen, and it's definitely improving

My first three listens initially left me a little underimpressed, but now I'm starting to see how all these little threads connect and hear all these easter eggs I didn't before. Same effect as with RIITIIR, Axioma, Vertebrae, etc. It seems to be what these guys do best.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
06.03.2015 - 00:22
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Guest on 02.03.2015 at 21:08

How about we just stop writing reviews in comment threads?

I'm starting to think that you and Lit have a weird crush on me. I can barely make a shout or post a comment without your sweet nothings trailing behind. I'm partial to roses and Godiva if you're planning to pursue, but you're a little young for me, kiddo. Side note, if nobody read my stuff, you wouldn't be talking about it.

----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
06.03.2015 - 06:16
Diverge

^Dafuq. Can you literally just stop posting?
06.03.2015 - 11:23
Rating: 8
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Enslaved have done it again.
06.03.2015 - 13:13
Joe Zombie

RIITIIR: Part 2. I really enjoyed this one which says a lot because I was never a big Enslaved fan to begin with. It seems this may be one of the more accessible albums of their career. Plenty of great melodies abound and the clean vocals are especially delectable.
06.03.2015 - 15:41
musicalkaratekid

Didn't find it quite as awe-inspiring as "Riitiir" (sorry, personal opinion, nothing more folks), but this is still an excellent piece of work from a very consistent band. Particularly liking "Nauthir Bleeding" more than anything else here, if only for its beautiful intro.
06.03.2015 - 16:04
OtherDoor

Written by pazuzuovbabel on 02.03.2015 at 22:07

dude, its Herbrand Larsen who sings the clean vox, check out http://youtu.be/vUywTdk2brI?t=2m35s

Grutle should try cleans some time, would be interesting to hear lol.
06.03.2015 - 20:01
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Yep, Enslaved is still awesome.

I feel really out of place here, though, since I didn't think Axioma was as great as other people did. It's a great album, to be sure, but it's actually one of my least favorite out of all the Enslaved albums I own. I've never really understood the obsession with that album.

I haven't given this album enough spins yet, but I think I like it more than AEO or RIITIIR. Good shit.
----
06.03.2015 - 20:58
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by OtherDoor on 06.03.2015 at 16:04

Grutle should try cleans some time, would be interesting to hear lol.

Now I'm curious if he ever did on any of the early albums?
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
07.03.2015 - 01:05
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Jaeryd on 06.03.2015 at 20:01

I feel really out of place here, though, since I didn't think Axioma was as great as other people did. It's a great album, to be sure, but it's actually one of my least favorite out of all the Enslaved albums I own. I've never really understood the obsession with that album.

Why would you place Vertebrae above AEO? That I can't understand
07.03.2015 - 01:46
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by LeKiwi on 07.03.2015 at 01:05

Eh... I forgot about that. I should probably adjust my votes, but then again, I really enjoy Vertebrae for reasons I can't explain. It may have had something to do with the fact that I got into Enslaved relatively recently, and bought that album around the time I started playing Dark Souls 2. The music seemed to fit really well, and so I have a pleasant mental association with that album now.

I think that each track individually can be considered rather poor, but as a whole, the album is a great experience. Like a novel, it's got its lulls, but they're not without purpose. For that reason, I never listen to the album without listening to the whole thing all the way through, otherwise it just seems bland (though "Center" is one of my favorite songs of all time--it induces somewhat of a spiritual experience in me, like visiting an ancient temple... that's a song I can listen to on its own, and frequently).

Anyway, I perfectly understand why people don't like Vertebrae as much as I do. Objectively, it's not that great--but that doesn't mean I don't subjectively get more enjoyment out of it than the average Enslaved fan. And I can't necessarily explain why.

Listening to AEO recently though, it seems like I rated it lower than I should have. If Vertebrae is 9, AEO should probably be a 9, too. I'll be fixing that soon.
----
07.03.2015 - 02:11
Xylem

I think it's a fantastic effort, I love how they vary the formula just a tiny bit each go around. It gives each album it's own voice and has, to my ears at least, kept them sounding fresh for over a decade. The latter half of this one is particularly strong and in all I think it's a small improvement on RIITIIR. I wonder if they'll every manage to disappoint me...?
07.03.2015 - 02:16
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Xylem on 07.03.2015 at 02:11
I wonder if they'll every manage to disappoint me...?

they will. when they retire.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
07.03.2015 - 06:06
Mrophine

The more i listen to this the more i'm loving it. Its almost like opeth for me. It takes a couple of listens before i begin to see the intricacies and awesomeness.
07.03.2015 - 16:08
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Jaeryd on 07.03.2015 at 01:46

Anyway, I perfectly understand why people don't like Vertebrae as much as I do. Objectively, it's not that great--but that doesn't mean I don't subjectively get more enjoyment out of it than the average Enslaved fan. And I can't necessarily explain why.

Listening to AEO recently though, it seems like I rated it lower than I should have. If Vertebrae is 9, AEO should probably be a 9, too. I'll be fixing that soon.

Makes sense. I'll admit that the album has it's moments though - "The Watcher" is certainly one of my go-to Enslaved tracks. I just thought it was odd that a fan of prog would find their most proggy album to be among their worst.

Anyways, sorry I brought up this off-topic discussion
08.03.2015 - 15:04
Lethrokai

Actually, I think you're being a bit too hard on yourself there. There is no "objectively" when it comes down to how 'good' music is because how much you enjoy music is an entirely subjective experience.

EG: Someone could be easily turned on or off by a certain style of production. Or maybe (to go with something many see as "objectively bad") someone happens to think that whiny vocals fit the style they work in best and thus loves them.

Things which are often considered by the majority to be 'objectively' true are almost never so. There are objective measurements through which you can judge music (production, performance, songwriting etc.) but the actual judgement given to these qualities within the album will always be subjective.

If you enjoyed an album for its merits, doesn't make you objectively wrong just because it goes against major opinion.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
08.03.2015 - 23:38
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Too early to rate this as I've only listened to it three times through but it is getting better with each listen. Once again oustanding vocals by Kjellson and Larsen. That intro riff pattern to "Daylight" that is repeated at the outro was immediately enjoyable. In fact the whole song is really cool. Also love "Building with Fire" which sounds a little bit different for Enslaved. Just really hoping they tour down under again like they did in late 2013.

Addendum: can safely rate this as a 9. Excellent release (yet again) by Enslaved.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
09.03.2015 - 00:00
Rating: 10
rps

Brilliant stuff. Saw them play last night in San Francisco. They played 3 from In Times (This review sums up my feelings also http://lemmysbeardwebzine.com/2015/02/23/enslaved-in-times/) in about a 80-90 minute set. The sound production was epic, world class, must see! http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/enslaved/2015/slims-san-francisco-ca-bcbf1ce.html. Great show despite almost falling asleep during opening bands. Enslaved made up for that........a perfect blend of madness and melancholy. Thanks Enslaved! Cheers!

ps. and Building With Fire is certainly not "extreme rock", but pure metal.
09.03.2015 - 17:28
raveneffect

I've listened to this. Once. twice. thrice. And again (Fourice? Frice? kappa)

I really liked it the first time, thought it was a perfect 10. Then after a few times I was like "This is good, sure, but to be completely honest, they've released stuff that is so much better and even those are "8", "9" at best. This is kind of irrelevant, a number it's just a number but it's my embarassing way of asking everyone to chill the fuck down, give it more time and listen to the rest again and again.

Still a really strong contender so far, but I believe that's due to weak competition
10.03.2015 - 15:45
Rating: 7
PanzerPriest

In my opinion the album is excellent. While listening to it for the first time I had a feeling that the album is good and not more. But during the second and third times I was amazed by the atmosphere, guitar riffs, wonderful keyboards and great harsh and clean vocals! Consequently, the final opinion about this album is excellent!
10.03.2015 - 15:47
Eccer

Believe it or not... but I think this might be a grower as well. How the hell do they do it... everytime!
10.03.2015 - 23:35
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
I find this rather boring.. Enslaved just isn't my cup of tea apparently.. Even though I highly enjoy them live
12.03.2015 - 02:15
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust

Written by LeKiwi on 07.03.2015 at 01:05

Eh... I forgot about that. I should probably adjust my votes, but then again, I really enjoy Vertebrae for reasons I can't explain.

You don't have to justify it, I also found Vertebrae much better than AEO. Sometimes an album just hits you at a time and place where it resonates with you. And "Center" is definitely one of their best songs ever, kind of how I feel about "In Times". That calm, peacefulness at 6:23 is the perfect dynamic for a relaxing day at the beach.
12.03.2015 - 02:33
Fearmeister
Account deleted
That main riff in One Thousand Years Of Rain is like, the best thing ever.
12.03.2015 - 02:52
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Guest on 12.03.2015 at 02:33

That main riff in One Thousand Years Of Rain is like, the best thing ever.

If you're talking about the one that comes back in HARD near the end, totally agreed. That riff is designed to make you compulsively headbang. Epic shit.
----
12.03.2015 - 02:54
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Introspekrieg on 12.03.2015 at 02:15

You don't have to justify it, I also found Vertebrae much better than AEO. Sometimes an album just hits you at a time and place where it resonates with you. And "Center" is definitely one of their best songs ever, kind of how I feel about "In Times". That calm, peacefulness at 6:23 is the perfect dynamic for a relaxing day at the beach.

Weird, I didn't think there was very many people here who shared my opinion about those albums.

And yeah, I'm not religious anymore, but "Center" gives me an intense spiritual feeling. I can't get over how much I love that song.
----
12.03.2015 - 04:33
Fat & Sassy!

Falling in love with my boys all over again. <3

I'm digging the overall sound and groove of the album. Sounds a lot warmer than any other album they've released.
12.03.2015 - 05:10
Rating: 10
rps

Quote:
If you're talking about the one that comes back in HARD near the end, totally agreed. That riff is designed to make you compulsively headbang. Epic shit.

I don't think I've ever headbanged as much as I did at the show last week, and it was not just me......we were ENSLAVED!

Hits total: 27106 | This month: 46