01. Thurisaz Dreaming
02. Building With Fire
03. One Thousand Years Of Rain
04. Nauthir Bleeding
05. In Times
06. Daylight

The Best Extreme Progressive Metal Album Of 2015

Additional info
Produced by Ivar Bjørnson, Grutle Kjellson Herbrand Larsen and Iver Sandoy.

Staff review by
Auntie Sahar
Rating:
Let no one ever have to question the consistency of the Norsemen in Enslaved. From the icy black metal of their debut, right down to the more complex nature of their recent material, the band have garnered a well deserved reputation as mature and innovative songwriters. 2015's In Times is a slightly more accessible mark in their discography, one that, while good, also feels as though it could have gone a little bit deeper.

Read more ››
published 03.03.2015 | Comments (44)

Found in 70 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 4

Comments: 104   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 1496 users
12.03.2015 - 05:17
Rating: 8
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Quote:
Written by rps on 12.03.2015 at 05:10

If you're talking about the one that comes back in HARD near the end, totally agreed. That riff is designed to make you compulsively headbang. Epic shit.

I don't think I've ever headbanged as much as I did at the show last week, and it was not just me......we were ENSLAVED!

You must have had pun on that show
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
12.03.2015 - 07:20
Necrodamus
This album is definitely a grower if I've ever heard one. Gets better and better with each listen. At first I thought it wasn't anything special and not on the same level as their last two. But multiple listens has shown me that it can indeed hold a candle to them. Cannot WAIT to see these guys next Sunday.
12.03.2015 - 21:18
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
I noticed that the iTunes purchase of this album came with a digital booklet but I purchased mine through Google Play and you miss out that way. Has anyone got a copy of the digital booklet and is willing to share? Please PM me.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
13.03.2015 - 02:38
paragraph7
The first Enslaved album I actually enjoyed from start to finnish. It still lacks something to make it truly spectacular, at least for me.
13.03.2015 - 06:37
Rating: 9
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by paragraph7 on 13.03.2015 at 02:38

The first Enslaved album I actually enjoyed from start to finnish. It still lacks something to make it truly spectacular, at least for me.

What could be that?

As far as I'm concerned, it's a flawless record which has its own taste and style to evolve. My second favorite after AEO.
13.03.2015 - 06:43
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Ace Frawley on 12.03.2015 at 21:18

I noticed that the iTunes purchase of this album came with a digital booklet but I purchased mine through Google Play and you miss out that way. Has anyone got a copy of the digital booklet and is willing to share? Please PM me.

Why on earth you went on Google Play to buy the record?

Don't you know that it's for Android users who can play music via good music app?!
13.03.2015 - 08:02
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 13.03.2015 at 06:43

Don't you know that it's for Android users who can play music via good music app?!

I don't really understand the point you are trying to make?
----
13.03.2015 - 08:22
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Ace Frawley on 13.03.2015 at 08:02

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 13.03.2015 at 06:43

I don't really understand the point you are trying to make?

Why did you buy a record from Google Play when you know you can buy from iTunes?
13.03.2015 - 13:23
paragraph7
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 13.03.2015 at 06:37

Written by paragraph7 on 13.03.2015 at 02:38

What could be that?

As far as I'm concerned, it's a flawless record which has its own taste and style to evolve. My second favorite after AEO.

Each to their own. The album brings me to the stream but it's too cold to bathe in.
13.03.2015 - 13:32
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Well, that doesn't make sense at all.

I asked you where its lacking?!

It's because if someone mention "album is lacking", I always look for suggestions.
13.03.2015 - 13:47
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 13.03.2015 at 08:22

Why did you buy a record from Google Play when you know you can buy from iTunes?

That is beside the point. The only relevant issue is the unfairness of one of them not having the digital booklet. Now I'm just curious about what it contains - full lyrics, photos, additional cool artwork? If anyone can shed light on that I'd be greatful. Really digging this whole album.
----
13.03.2015 - 20:53
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by raveneffect on 09.03.2015 at 17:28

I really liked it the first time, thought it was a perfect 10. Then after a few times I was like "This is good, sure, but to be completely honest, they've released stuff that is so much better and even those are "8", "9" at best. This is kind of irrelevant, a number it's just a number but it's my embarassing way of asking everyone to chill the fuck down, give it more time and listen to the rest again and again.

See, it was sort of the reverse for me. On the first listen, I was like "Hey, this album is pretty decent." And then it just got better with more listens. I kept finding the little things, the subtle melodic motifs, some background atmosphere I had missed the first few times, and it all just sort of became more powerful and cohesive as I started to understand it. Of course, it's not the deepest album in the world, I'll admit, and they have indeed released better albums in the past, but just thought I'd point out that I (and others) have done the exact thing you have said to do, and we've experienced the opposite effect from doing so.

But, as with any kind of art, this kind of thing is very subjective, and all I can really do is spout the common idiom, "to each their own."
----
13.03.2015 - 23:00
Erik M.
Listened to it twice so far. Great album for sure, but it doesn't quite amaze me as much as I hoped, so I'm hoping (and kind of expecting) that this is a grower.
17.03.2015 - 13:54
Therapy?
I always like checking out the top charts for bands I never really listened to. For me, enslaved is one of those bands that I know by name, but my knowledge about them doesn't go much further than "it's a black metal band". I generally don't like black metal, but that didn't stop me from trying this out anyway. And wow, this album really surprised me with its catchy melodic riffs and clean voice parts. I really dig it!
19.03.2015 - 11:38
arj
The first Enslaved album I really dig. Love the clean singing
20.03.2015 - 11:50
SergioBv
Building With Fire & One Thousand Years of Rain are awesome songs.
20.03.2015 - 16:29
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
It has grown on me steadily, which is unexpected because it is a bit more striped down compared to before
----
loves 小巫
20.03.2015 - 21:28
progpiggy
A little bit of a step back in the mostly strong catalogue of this band. Reaching incredible nights with 2010's 'Axioma Ethica Odini', they kind of lost depth with RIITIIR and now again with In Times. While still a solid album it dwarfs next to the behemoth that is 'Axioma Ethica Odini'.
21.03.2015 - 07:01
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
On my previous visit, I was excited as I am right now. Great album. Few favorite songs on my pad and it keep shuffling every now and then.

Too busy in finishing wishlist of '14 and '15. If i get a free time, i'll certainly spin the disc again.
21.03.2015 - 13:54
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Erik M. on 13.03.2015 at 23:00

so I'm hoping (and kind of expecting) that this is a grower.

It is, to a good extent.
22.03.2015 - 07:36
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by progpiggy on 20.03.2015 at 21:28

A little bit of a step back in the mostly strong catalogue of this band. Reaching incredible nights with 2010's 'Axioma Ethica Odini', they kind of lost depth with RIITIIR and now again with In Times. While still a solid album it dwarfs next to the behemoth that is 'Axioma Ethica Odini'.

Enslaved has been pumping out quality for, well, pretty much their entire existence. AEO as the highpoint. Expecting any band to match their highwater mark is a losing proposition.

any album should be considered both against the band's back catalog as well as against the current landscape.

and, while, to me, 2015 is already better than 2014, In Times is an outstanding release that will be the comparison point for the best of the best of the new releases, even if takes Silver to AEO's gold.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
22.03.2015 - 19:27
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Saying that this album pales in comparison to AEO is like saying that a blowjob pales in comparison to intercourse.
24.03.2015 - 20:10
visiblenoise
Written by Ace Frawley on 13.03.2015 at 13:47

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 13.03.2015 at 08:22

That is beside the point. The only relevant issue is the unfairness of one of them not having the digital booklet. Now I'm just curious about what it contains - full lyrics, photos, additional cool artwork? If anyone can shed light on that I'd be greatful. Really digging this whole album.

The digipak was disappointing. You have the front cover which you've seen, the back which is a variation of the front, and the inner panels which contain a big illustration of a runic picture/symbol. The booklet has lyrics, and little else in the way of artwork or photos.
25.03.2015 - 21:25
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by visiblenoise on 24.03.2015 at 20:10

The digipak was disappointing. You have the front cover which you've seen, the back which is a variation of the front, and the inner panels which contain a big illustration of a runic picture/symbol. The booklet has lyrics, and little else in the way of artwork or photos.

Yeah, it was a tad disappointing, but it's still a nice looking case, and my digipak came in a badass wooden box with the band name and In Times logo/rune carved on it. The digipak could've had more to it, but I'm still not really upset.
----
09.04.2015 - 11:37
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Weak clean vocals, tiring growls and boring music, I guess I'll never be able to like Enslaved..!
09.04.2015 - 13:13
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Fallen Ghost on 09.04.2015 at 11:37

Weak clean vocals, tiring growls and boring music, I guess I'll never be able to like Enslaved..!

Impossible to please. Weak clean vocals - you must be joking. Tiring growls - you crack me up.
----
09.04.2015 - 16:20
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Written by Ace Frawley on 09.04.2015 at 13:13

Written by Fallen Ghost on 09.04.2015 at 11:37

Impossible to please. Weak clean vocals - you must be joking. Tiring growls - you crack me up.

I'm not impossible to please, hard but not impossible I find the clean vocals very boring, and I've always struggled with these growls for some reason. I liked them live though for some reason
13.06.2015 - 21:30
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Up voting it. Amazing album.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
20.06.2015 - 22:44
Mr. Mackey
Great album, but oh my.... Building with Fire, one of the best metal songs I have heard in the past few years.
02.09.2015 - 23:26
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I really like it, but I think these guys are on the cusp of autopilot territory. As good as the songs were here they were a tad predictable and felt like retreads of the past two albums at points. Still better than RIITIIR though. I'd like to see them take a few more risks on the next one.

Hits total: 27162 | This month: 48