Metal Storm logo
Top Metal Albums Of 2014

Thumbs up: +1
After much deliberation and re-listening, this is my top 10 of 2014. I stand by it. What a great year, here's hoping 2015 is even better.

EDIT: Added a few more latecomers.

Created by: flightoficarus | 16.12.2014

1. Behemoth - The Satanist
Atmospheric, emotive, blistering, consistent. I could go on. This is one of the few albums that deserves the hype.
2. Septicflesh - Titan
A lot of people cast this off as a retread of The Great Mass. I disagree. While it's in the same vein, the ideas are taken even further. The vibe is more bombastic and brutal than its also-amazing predecessor.
3. Vader - Tibi Et Igni
"Surprise...it's Vader" read more than a few reviews. This is not Vader by numbers. The increased compositional focus, consistency, and catchiness made this their best record since Litany.
4. Mastodon - Once More 'Round The Sun
Masters of prog metal, and now working towards a mastery of alt metal. Huge redemption from The Hunter.
5. Aspherium - The Fall Of Therenia
Thank you sputnik for finding this gem for me. Melodeath is played, but these guys do it so right. Not perfect, but excellent given the scope.
6. Emptiness - Nothing But The Whole
Latecomer. I cheated anc added this later. Dark, grim, and grippingly vile.
7. Lord Mantis - Death Mask
This album is an exercise in sadomasochistic nihilism...and I love it. Blackened sludge. The vocals violated me.
8. Triptykon - Melana Chasmata
Not on par with Monotheist or the previous album, but few do the gothic, brooding anger as well as Tommy G.
9. Srogość - W Szaleństwie
I was lucky enough to find this while doing reviews for Sensless Life Records. Excellent, understated symphonic BM from Poland.
10. Tyrant Of Death - Ascendancy
Holy fuck. Easily the best industrial metal of the year and the best I have heard in a LONG time. Throat-rippingly intense and more extreme than what I am used to from the genre.
11. Torrential Downpour - Truth Knowledge Vision
Most eclectic mix of disparate tunes to grace a singular progressive concept. Excellent aggressive prog metal.
12. Tengger Cavalry - Ancient Call
Best folk of 2014. Viking metal, but with Mongolian warriors. Breathe of fresh air, and with throat singing!?
13. Architects - Lost Forever // Lost Together
Another big surprise. It's a decievingly simple peice of metalcore/post-hardcore, but within you will find strong musicianship and tons of conviction. This is like that girl I know I shouldn't date, but the sex is just too good.
14. Mors Principium Est - Dawn Of The 5th Era
Another melodeath album that deserves more respect than the crybaby tunes of Insomnium. Killer riffs. This was my favorite MDM album of the year until I heard Aspherium.
15. Within The Ruins - Phenomena
Amazing guitar work paired with lyrics about comic book characters. How could you want more?
16. Bast - Spectres
Excellent doomy progressive metal with a lot of different influences and sounds.
17. Cannibal Corpse - A Skeletal Domain
Another under-respected album this year. The addition of more melodic riffs and tightening of the musicianship in general made this a must-have. I bought it about an hour after I listened to it.
18. Every Time I Die - From Parts Unknown
This album is not NEARLY as good as some of their mid-career albums. It lacks cowbell. But the compositions and level of technical prowess here are worth your respect.
19. Mendel - SHWTD + Subliminal Colors
Neoclassical shred fest over 2 albums that never becomes boring. Every song has a slightly different flavor.
20. Telepathy - 12 Areas
Crunchy instrumental post-metal full of energy and emotion.

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by flightoficarus ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 1   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 40 users
16.12.2014 - 22:47
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Links for the little guys on this list:

Aspherium:
Stream
Review
Purchase

Srogość:
Bandcamp
Review

Torrential Downpour
Bandcamp
Review

Lord Mantis
Bandcamp
Review

Tengger Cavalry
Bandcamp
Review

Tyrant of Death
Bandcamp
Review

Emptiness
Bandcamp
Review

Architects
Stream
Review
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.

Hits total: 1424 | This month: 5