Metal Storm logo
Are mechanical keyboards much better than regular ones?

17.12.2014 - 02:36
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Yeah, I know, a metal site is totally the right place to ask this but I know there are gamers here so...

Thing is, I've been playing a game where I need to alternately hit keys fast and lately my hands started hurting for doing it. At first I didn't mind, I would just make a pause, but then it kept getting each time faster for them to hurt so that I need to make too much regular intervals and can't play at all...

I've been using my laptop keyboard. I could try plugin either a mechanical or a regular one and see if it gets better...

What are your opinions? I've read that the mechanical one requires less strength applied to the keys in order for them to work. Is this true? And if so does it make it better? Or I would start pressing keys when I didn't want to? Because that would fuck up the gameplay you know... =P

Anyone who had/has one of these can enlighten me please?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
17.12.2014 - 11:14
Candlemass
Defaeco
It all depends on your wants and accordingly, the switch you choose. Take into account the audio feedback as well as tactile feedback on the different types. They can be pretty loud.
Personally, I don't have many to choose from where I live - so I got the Brown Switch from Ducky Channel. I like it.
17.12.2014 - 11:43
Ilham
Giant robot
I made the change for a mechanical. I'm still trying to adapt from years on shitty laptop keyboards. To be honest I find it easier to play, and type (no jokes on that I just hate typing and suck at it whatever keyboard I might be using). The price of mine came as a bit of a shock, but hey, the lifetime and comfort are worth it. Nice feedback and smooth travel. The keys don't need much force to activate, so I don't know if it's ideal for everyone, but I have a tendency to not push hard/long enough so cherry red keys are perfect for me. I have the corsair vengeance 90, if you are interested :

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-k90-performance-mmo-mechanical-gaming-keyboard
17.12.2014 - 20:56
ANGEL REAPER

I like the mechanic keyboards for the accuracy of typing text on it (and when you write a shit ton of code that is important ).At the moment i have only standard laptop keyboard and if i had more money i would buy new mechanical one.When i play games standard one is just fine.
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
17.12.2014 - 21:16
FOOCK Nam

What is regular keyboard ? I have a laptop keyboard, the one installed stick in the whole laptop new buying.. For typing no problem, but since I play Fifa and counter strike,mone button is gonna troubled.. So I would prefer outer keyboard for playing game...
18.12.2014 - 17:01
wrathchild

I have 3, 2 Filco Majestouch (brown and black switches) and a Code keyboard which is basically the same build but but with "clear" switches.

Before, I used whatever keyboard was available, but then I realised that given I spend most of the day in front of a computer, I could also spend more bucks to improve my everyday experience.
At first I was a bit disappointed, didn't feet like a big change but after a few weeks I picked my old keyboard and understood it was lame, uncomfortable, fragile, unprecise, unwashable, etc.
Now I'm using a laptop at work but there's no way I'm using the built-in keyboard, even if that means I must carry more stuff along with me when I need to move.

Yet, it won't make you a better typer or gamer, and you will still need to pause at times (though less).
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
18.12.2014 - 22:06
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
You guys better be right, because I already ordered one =P
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
18.12.2014 - 22:31
Ilham
Giant robot
You'll need a little adaptation time but you won't regret.
21.12.2014 - 15:54
ANGEL REAPER

And dont dip em in wine ...cause that is how i lost my last one...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"