04. Dark Charade
05. Salutations
06. Radio
07. Winslow
08. Just A Ride

Guest review by
Eternity'sChild
Rating:
Rishloo is an incredible band, managing to put out really high quality albums. Even the break from 2012 to 2013 didn't hold them back from releasing once again a stunning record that even tops their previous albums. Living As Ghosts With Buildings As Teeth marks their most mature output to date, filled with musical diversity and complexity.

Read more ››
published 18.05.2015 | Comments (3)

Found in 17 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 40   Visited by: 275 users
17.12.2014 - 04:06
Rating: 10
mz
Wonderful, as expected.
I'd say it is more refined than their previous albums, with the exception of the last moments of the 1st song, which features a coarse, unexpected and rather out of place turn. Once more, the emphasize is on the vocals, which have been improved and I can see many people who had problem with them during the higher moments enjoy them now more. Drew Mailloux proves himself as one of the most underrated vocalist around. One thing I noticed upon my first spins is that the semi- post rocky layer is diluted now. Lead guitar work seems less subtle, not only because of the change in songwriting, but also due to the production.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
17.12.2014 - 14:09
Rating: 9
musclassia
staff
Vocals remind me a lot of The Mars Volta
nice stuff
17.12.2014 - 14:18
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
Christmas came early this year!
17.12.2014 - 15:04
Diverge
The most unpredictable Rishloo album yet. The ending of Dead Rope Machine is amazing, as is Dark Charade.
18.12.2014 - 00:34
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Well now, I bumped across this while searching the web, I suppose I should see what all the fuss is about...
----
rekt
20.12.2014 - 00:32
Rating: 8
Olives
Great album, much more major-like sound, they done a great job in this one, defiantly a unique and original sound, much less Tool-oriented.
08.01.2015 - 00:22
Diverge
Switched to a 9. Damn, that first half of the record is strong. Additionally, Dark Charade is probably Rishloo's finest moment for me.

I can't help but think of it as a natural successor to Karnivool's Asymmetry album. Both Karnivool and Rishloo are heading in interesting directions.
21.01.2015 - 19:29
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Far better than their last album. Definitely the album to start with.
25.01.2015 - 04:12
Diverge
I actually think this might be Rishloo's best album, come to think of it. The last time I heard a closing vocal performance as good as this was on Headspace's debut. And before that, Warning's Watching From a Distance album. Yes, I'm confident enough to put Drew alongside Pat Walker now.
25.01.2015 - 15:45
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by Diverge on 25.01.2015 at 04:12

I actually think this might be Rishloo's best album

I've never heard of the band till this - seeing it get some mainstream pub. I still haven't checked it out yet - is it really this good?
----
rekt
25.01.2015 - 16:30
Diverge
Written by tea[m]ster on 25.01.2015 at 15:45

Written by Diverge on 25.01.2015 at 04:12

I actually think this might be Rishloo's best album

I've never heard of the band till this - seeing it get some mainstream pub. I still haven't checked it out yet - is it really this good?

I've been listening to it nonstop the last few weeks. It's an odd album because the first half is very very very strong while the last half kind of grows on you. For example, Just a Ride was one of my least favourite tracks, but the climax finally got me in. It's definitely worth a shot. I imagine you'd like it because a few tracks were written as instrumentals while the band had broken up and they have become even more powerful with Drew's vocals. So on all fronts, the band is strong.

Better than Karnivool's Asymmetry, imo. And I loved that album too.
25.01.2015 - 22:24
mz
Good. Diverge keeps advertizing rishloo while I'm busy
----
28.01.2015 - 22:33
Diverge
Written by mz on 25.01.2015 at 22:24

I should also pass along that Eden Circus album to you. After a few closer listens, I can tell it's almost as good as this album. It's a little more post-related and a little less related to The Mars Volta, but you'd probably dig it if Jay hasn't hounded you about it already.
29.01.2015 - 00:00
mz
Written by Diverge on 28.01.2015 at 22:33

Written by mz on 25.01.2015 at 22:24

I should also pass along that Eden Circus album to you. After a few closer listens, I can tell it's almost as good as this album. It's a little more post-related and a little less related to The Mars Volta, but you'd probably dig it if Jay hasn't hounded you about it already.

Yeah I have checked EC album a couple of times. Really loved it, too.
----
29.01.2015 - 00:00
mz
But not as much as this one :d
----
02.02.2015 - 05:43
Diverge
Written by R'Vannith on 17.12.2014 at 14:18

Christmas came early this year!

Good call 10ing it. I'm thinking I might do the same...to me, this is their current masterpiece.
02.02.2015 - 05:51
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
Written by Diverge on 02.02.2015 at 05:43

Good call 10ing it. I'm thinking I might do the same...to me, this is their current masterpiece.

Nothing could sever my strong personal attachment to Feathergun, though I have to admit that this one is clearly a better record. They've reached a level of maturity here that I couldn't have anticipated. It's truly wonderful to hear. This continues to impress me after many revisits.
10.02.2015 - 05:11
Diverge
Written by R'Vannith on 02.02.2015 at 05:51

Written by Diverge on 02.02.2015 at 05:43

Nothing could sever my strong personal attachment to Feathergun, though I have to admit that this one is clearly a better record. They've reached a level of maturity here that I couldn't have anticipated. It's truly wonderful to hear. This continues to impress me after many revisits.

10'd it. And I'll echo those sentiments. This is a very mature and well-considered work that's virtually flawless for me.
10.02.2015 - 18:45
mz
I still prefer featuregun over this. This one is clearly more mature and well constructed, but featurgun had an adventurous vibe which I haven;t heard in many alternative/prog metal records. It's kinda raw for the genre.
Also , good to see appreciation of rishloo on MS through the nomination for MSA. Although I wished they had gone in alternative category.
----
10.02.2015 - 18:47
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by mz on 10.02.2015 at 18:45

I still prefer featuregun over this. This one is clearly more mature and well constructed, but featurgun had an adventurous vibe which I haven;t heard in many alternative/prog metal records.

It's funny how you mistype the album's name twice but differently. Featuregun sounds funny.
10.02.2015 - 19:12
mz
Written by Ilham on 10.02.2015 at 18:47

I still prefer featuregun over this. This one is clearly more mature and well constructed, but featurgun had an adventurous vibe which I haven;t heard in many alternative/prog metal records.

It's funny how you mistype the album's name twice but differently. Featuregun sounds funny.

haha I actually did expect to have a lot of typos in my cm because of the sheer tiredness
It's funny since featurgun is one of my all time favs:)
----
10.02.2015 - 20:33
Well that's a shame. Someone gave this a 2 without justification. 2 means 'pure shit', while 5 means 'average' according to description.

While 5 sounds unjustified BECAUSE the rater didn't care a could give me a list of artists that sound similar making it 'average'. Honestly I'd be so glad I could indulge in them. lol

But 2 sounds criminal almost like a blatant abuse of your rating system. Does anyone monitor such abusive ratings or we can all have a ball and drop a no.2 on anything we're not into without consequence?
10.02.2015 - 20:41
mz
Written by AssailantForce on 10.02.2015 at 20:33

While 5 sounds unjustified BECAUSE the rater didn't care a could give me a list of artists that sound similar making it 'average'. Honestly I'd be so glad I could indulge in them. lol

Average is not equal to "generic" or "typical" in the rating system IMO.
----
10.02.2015 - 21:27
Written by mz on 10.02.2015 at 20:41

Written by AssailantForce on 10.02.2015 at 20:33

Average is not equal to "generic" or "typical" in the rating system IMO.

Hah okay I do agree here. Just that 'Average' is kinda misleading, since it has a particular meaning generally Maybe 'Boring' is a better user friendly descriptor for 5 imo. Because what's actually happening is 'I don't care if you are typical or unique or innovative. I don't know if you suck. what I do know is I just slept after the first 20 seconds and I kinda forgot your name.' :p

But just curious, what about the 2 remark, is that allowed unmonitored here or conditions apply?
11.02.2015 - 02:21
mz
Written by AssailantForce on 10.02.2015 at 21:27

But just curious, what about the 2 remark, is that allowed unmonitored here or conditions apply?

As much as I love this album and rishloo in general, I can't say that the 2 given to this album is certainly a vote abuse. I can see many people will disliking this band. It's definitly not for everyone, even in the related circle of alternative/ prog metal fans.
----
12.02.2015 - 01:08
Diverge

Although I wished they had gone in alternative category.

I'm with you on that one.
26.02.2015 - 05:26
Diverge
I'm still blown away by this album. I never expected Rishloo to get this bloody good, although maybe I was too easily amused last year.
27.02.2015 - 11:31
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by Diverge on 26.02.2015 at 05:26

I'm still blown away by this album. I never expected Rishloo to get this bloody good, although maybe I was too easily amused last year.

Well,,,I gave it a spin. Lasted about 3 songs. Not really my thing. It's way too complicated, too much going on. I like a more straight forward approach in my prog. This reminds me of bands like Pain Of Salvation, Leprous, Arcturus - stuff I just don't get for the most part. I won't delete this, I may come back to it in the future - who knows, opinion could change.
----
rekt
27.02.2015 - 14:21
mz
Written by tea[m]ster on 27.02.2015 at 11:31

Well,,,I gave it a spin. Lasted about 3 songs. Not really my thing. It's way too complicated, too much going on. I like a more straight forward approach in my prog. This reminds me of bands like Pain Of Salvation, Leprous, Arcturus - stuff I just don't get for the most part.

I cant really compare rishloo with any of those bands you just mentioned (which I love them all). Rishloo is not a prog band in the traditional, orthodox sense. Let's just say that their approach to prog music is much more subtle and less in your face than most progressive metal bands. I'd compare Rishloo with tool, but not leprous. Mind you, I consider them to be a priminarily alternative metal/ rock band with elements of prog rock/metal and some diluted post rock moments ( more present on their previous records)
----
27.02.2015 - 14:23
mz
And seriosuly, I didn't expect this album to ba that good when I heard they are reforming. Fucking excellent and it even gets better on earch spin. Can't even really find any minor weak point.
----

Hits total: 6690 | This month: 17