03. Aurora
04. Disembodied Voices
05. Electra Complex
06. Stones And Pillars
07. Anchored
08. The Knife
09. Long Way To The Graves
10. Elämä On Tulta

For three records the Finnish band Ghost Brigade have provided a unique example of melodic death metal progression. Basing their studio efforts well beyond generic limits and engaging the structures and tones of post-metal, they continue to issue their original and outlying style in IV: One With The Storm, but to a similar result as any of their prior releases.

Despite their obvious stylistic differences from typical melodic death metal acts, they seem just as susceptible to replaying their own manner of song writing, adjusting little for their latest track-list. It's up to the listener to determine whether the band's formulaic replaying means overplaying in this case, but the standard of quality that the band has in composition is consistently followed out for another record with IV: One With The Storm.

The presentation of melody is continuous and thorough, but varies in tone and pace from track to track, at times more identifiable with the up-tempo delivery of melodic death metal à la Insomnium with a semblance of Swallow The Sun's melodic death/doom unison, at others closing in on a gradually expanded Cult Of Luna-esque atmospheric sludge texture. The song writing is highly melodious in much the same way as the aforementioned Finnish outfits, yet delivered in clearly distinguishing post-metallic derived contexts such as "Electra Complex," an adventurous number spanning over ten minutes and exhibiting the band's greatest distance from a melodic death metal association. "The Knife" is a representative example of the band's sludge tones applied to a melodic death song structure, possessing a melodic edge not dissimilar to material demonstrated by the affiliated band Sons Of Aeon, members Naukkarinen and Kiviniemi fulfilling guitar and bass roles respectively therein.

Though the overall aesthetic of IV: One With The Storm remains much the same as prior records, with its approaching a gothic nature of melancholic vibe in tracks such as "Long Way To The Graves," the song structures are again given certain freedoms in terms of atmospheric components and how the recursive riffs and melodies are fashioned. In this sense Ghost Brigade are actually quite resourceful, sensibly reutilising discernibly similar riff patterns in compositions which vary according to their placement within differing written contexts, which shift in and out of imperatives of atmospheric construction to heightened points of melody with ready and engaging will. Though their style is distinctly set in its own ways, the band are evidently flexible with it, which is no doubt the reason why each successive record never seems tired or stale and continues to deliver with an ably varied and excellently produced track-list in IV: One With The Storm.

The vocal arrangements, most especially the cleans, serve as a further distinguishing feature, receiving an unusual extent of emphasis for post-metal. Their alternative tinge bear a likeness to recent vocal incarnations of Katatonia and Blindead, presenting a duality with the intelligible harsher style which harnesses the growling of melodic death in a blend with a hardcore delivery best befitting the band's atmospheric sludge metal inclinations.

Ghost Brigade are certainly not a band to receive a post-metallic typecast, as their well established and distinctive discography finds an undeviating continuation in this record, both in terms of the standard of quality and its content.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written on 18.12.2014 by R'Vannith enjoys music, he's hoping you do too.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 236 users
18.12.2014 - 16:44
Rating: 10
Risto
Wandering Midget
Quote:
Despite their obvious stylistic differences from typical melodic death metal acts, they seem just as susceptible to replaying their own manner of song writing, adjusting little for their latest track-list. It's up to the listener to determine whether the band's formulaic replaying means overplaying in this case, but the standard of quality that the band has in composition is consistently followed out for another record with IV: One With The Storm.

While it may be difficult to pick out clear changes between albums with melody driven bands, I find something definitely "happened" here. The melodies are allowed to move around in a different fashion which revitalised the whole sound, more prominent keyboards definitely help on this. They actually took a little break before writing this album because their main songwriter (Naukkarinen) was bored with their formula.
19.12.2014 - 08:07
Rating: 10
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by deadone on 19.12.2014 at 00:21

Quote:
up-tempo delivery of melodic death metal à la Insomnium

Dang was interested until you said the above. Given I find Insomnium to be largely monotonous, boring and certainly not up-tempo. I'm not really sure about this.

Ghost Brigade are a melodic band, but death metal has always been a mere spice among other more prominent influences. The only "up-tempo" tracks here are "The Knife" and the Hawkwind-ish "Elämä on tulta", which expands over one chord progression during it's 7-minute duration. Insomnium gets thrown around a lot with Ghost Brigade but it misses the mark.
20.12.2014 - 03:16
Rating: 8
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Risto on 18.12.2014 at 16:44

While it may be difficult to pick out clear changes between albums with melody driven bands, I find something definitely "happened" here. The melodies are allowed to move around in a different fashion which revitalised the whole sound, more prominent keyboards definitely help on this. They actually took a little break before writing this album because their main songwriter (Naukkarinen) was bored with their formula.

This is what I was getting at when I was describing the band's resourcefulness. It seems that you found their resourcefulness with their song writing more obvious in this album when compared to prior records, to the extent that you would say that something has "happened" here.

It's my understanding that Naukkarinen's boredom with their formula is also an incentive for undertaking the Sons Of Aeon material, their debut being written in Ghost Brigade's "intermission."
20.12.2014 - 03:22
Rating: 8
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Risto on 19.12.2014 at 08:07

Ghost Brigade are a melodic band, but death metal has always been a mere spice among other more prominent influences. The only "up-tempo" tracks here are "The Knife" and the Hawkwind-ish "Elämä on tulta", which expands over one chord progression during it's 7-minute duration. Insomnium gets thrown around a lot with Ghost Brigade but it misses the mark.

Melodic death metal is obvious in Ghost Brigade's song structures, if not tone. Granted, I would refer to their style as post-metal before I would melodic death metal, the latter is clearly an element. Insomnium I find to be a pertinent comparison in terms of these melodic death elements.
06.01.2015 - 22:46
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Just discovered this little jewel today when I took the time to actually put it on. Not only was it worth it, I cannot forgive myself for not listening to it as soon as it came out. Oh what a miraculous and dreary dance of ambiances this album is.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
09.01.2015 - 17:19
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Knife sucked me in, but then I heard the other tracks and just couldn't dig it. Not a fan of their clean singing or over-abundance of basic power chord progressions.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.

Hits total: 6481 | This month: 12