04. Church Of Vastitas
05. Famine Of God's Word
06. Mental Abortion
07. Beyond Cremation
08. His Infernal Necropsy
09. Unite In Pain
10. My Torturer
11. Grand Morbid Funeral

Old school sucks. New school is the way to go.

Now that we got that out of the way, let's talk about why this album is a decent tribute to the old-school of hip-hop death metal.

Death metallers Bloodbath make no secret their love for the bands that laid the groundwork for every metalhead's mandatory favorite genre of death metal, specifically that of the Swedish variety. Resurrection Through Carnage brought to mind the classic Entombed-style distorted guitars. Nightmares Made Flesh was much more clean and polished, but remained brutal, catchy, and heavy with the Swedish influences meeting a more? Florida style? I don't know. Let's just call it Swedish.

So where does Grand Morbid Funeral fall? Well, in neither really. If anything, it sounds more old-school than the previous albums. It brings to mind less of Entombed and the like, and more so of God Macabre or those of the death/doom variety like Winter and early Paradise Lost. There's nothing remotely death/doom about the album, but the vibe it gives off rivals that. Must be due to the inclusion of Paradise Lost vocalist Nick Holmes. No idea why they hired the guy; there are much better vocalists out there that can replicate the old-school sound with much more gusto. He caught us by (a very unpleasant) surprise and left no expectations for the quality of the record with his growling leaving much to be desired despite the fact that they normally should be the band's backbone*. That, right there, is the album's main flaw (at first): the vocals just cannot stand up to the rest of the album, mix-wise, quality-wise and otherwise. Musically, it's otherwise fine, if not stronger than their previous, lackluster offering The Fathomless Mastery.

Thankfully, while they can't compare to the likes of old masters like Åkerfeldt or Tägtgren, you can (and I mean can, as in there's a good chance you won't) become accustomed to his vocals, and they somehow suit themselves to the music after listening to about half the album, empowering the old-school vibe to a front. It starts merging with the music that remains very strong and very Bloodbath-style, and after a while, you don't care about the separation in audibility. You don't care about how completely ill-fitting the band's decision to hire Holmes was. You just care about the fact that you have a nice, solid offering of death metal. After all the pieces fall into place, you've got a fine dedication to the death metal days of old.

Now go and pray to whatever deity you worship that Bloodbath will do a tribute to the new wave of cavernous death metal that we all love.

Highlights: "Let The Stillborn Come To Me", "Church Of Vastitas", "Grand Morbid Funeral"

*Coming from a guy who has virtually no experience with Paradise Lost. He can't really speak for those who are familiar with his voice, whether it has affected said band for better or for worse.

Written by | 22.12.2014

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 138 users
22.12.2014 - 20:05
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Nice review. Everything was well put and accurate... but, "Church of Vastitas" being a highlight? That is by far the most skip-able song on the album. Highlights for me are "Let the Stillborn Come to Me", "Total Death Exhumed", "Anne", "Famine of God's Word", and "Grand Morbid Funeral". So 2/3 of your highlights are on my list, too, but goddamn... while I really like slower doomy tracks on a death metal album, "Church of Vastitas" is just a perfect example of how to make that kind of song as boring as humanly possible.

But whatever, it's just personal opinion. Again, great review.
----
22.12.2014 - 20:21
Rating: 6
Ilham
Giant robot
Hey. I didn't find reading you to be boring at all.
22.12.2014 - 20:52
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Jaeryd on 22.12.2014 at 20:05

Nice review. Everything was well put and accurate... but, "Church of Vastitas" being a highlight? That is by far the most skip-able song on the album. Highlights for me are "Let the Stillborn Come to Me", "Total Death Exhumed", "Anne", "Famine of God's Word", and "Grand Morbid Funeral". So 2/3 of your highlights are on my list, too, but goddamn... while I really like slower doomy tracks on a death metal album, "Church of Vastitas" is just a perfect example of how to make that kind of song as boring as humanly possible.

"Church of Vastitas" was initially boring for me around the time I saw the video posted before the album's release, but like everything else about this album, the song's grown on me. It's not particularly memorable, sure, but it's a nice shift in pace from the album's flow since it comes after 3 fast songs, and that makes it stand out. It's one of those songs that you appreciate more when listening to the album as a whole.

Now that I think about it, I should've put "Anne" as a highlight. I did like that song (the sample in the beginning is really cool), but not "Total Death Exhumed" or "Famine of God's Word". Nothing at all special about either of those songs (except maybe the Sabaton-esque references to different death metal bands/albums in the former song).

Written by Ilham on 22.12.2014 at 20:21

Hey. I didn't find reading you to be boring at all.

That's a relief.
22.12.2014 - 21:16
Rating: 6
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Guest on 22.12.2014 at 20:52

That's a relief.

That was supposed to be a litotes. I meant I liked the review.
22.12.2014 - 22:49
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 22.12.2014 at 21:16

Written by Guest on 22.12.2014 at 20:52

That's a relief.

That was supposed to be a litotes. I meant I liked the review.

I know that, just as much as I know I'm not boring.
22.12.2014 - 23:51
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Killer review man, thought it was a staff review tbh... Not a huge death metal guy and usually relied on Bloodbath to produce the cream of the crop but this album doesnt seem like that, I'll pass.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
29.12.2014 - 02:24
Surion

I disagree with parts of your review, what Nick brings to this album is something rare, but fits perfectly with the music...it's so ill, i don't know how to express it but after a few spins this record became one of my favorites. Not better than Resurrection through Carnage or Nightmares but still a great album.
----
Ereßµ§ ø? ßløøð

Hits total: 3304 | This month: 8