05. Sail Into The Black
06. Eyes Of The Dead
07. Beneath The Silt
08. In Comes The Flood
09. Damage Inside
10. Game Over
11. Imaginal Cells
12. Take Me Through The Fire

Machine Head have had quite a revival in terms of public perception since their nu metal experimentation. The Blackening, with its extended blasts of intense yet melodic and hooky modern thrash, was one of the best received metal releases of the last decade, and a personally significant album. Rather than attempting to outdo the 'epic' nature of that release, they followed it up with Unto The Locust, toning down both the song and album length and making more melodic and arguably accessible songs, without sacrificing their core sound or writing capabilities. The question is, where does the band go next?

Well, for starters, the length is back. The songs are of generally moderate duration for the band, but after they greeted us with their shortest album last time out, we now bear witness to their longest release to date, a whopping 70 minutes. Is it too long? For my money, yes, but there's definitely some solid material in there. As expected from Machine Head, there's a fair number of meaty thrash and hooky groove metal riffs situated throughout the album. Additionally, with 'Ghosts Will Haunt My Bones', we get a return of the kind of intro melodic guitar leads that previously lit up 'Be Still And Know' and 'Halo'. Also keeping to past form, the talents of Flynn and Demmel to write varied and engaging guitar solos remains intact, as demonstrated on several tracks but particularly on 'Killers And Kings' and 'Eyes Of The Dead'. In general then, the core foundations to the music is predictably solid, and comes together to produce an album with a fairly varied sound, opening with the more accessible and crowd-friendly songs, before following with a mix of more intense tracks and some less conventional pieces. Announcing this transition is the album's 'epic', 'Sail Into The Black', which splits its time between an extended soft build-up and a heavy grandstand climax, and that could do with some fat-trimming but which has some really nice stuff in between. Unfortunately, that last line rather sums up my opinions on the album.

There's just too many moments and songs that could easily have been shortened or cut altogether. 'Now We Die', an unimpressive but ultimately adequate opener, has some rather tacky strings stretching the intro and flattening the emotional peaks, alongside an utterly lifeless climax. 'In Comes The Flood' features tedious trudging verses, a forgettable chorus and a truly redundant rant padding out a bloated track with a nice solo and climax. And now I must touch upon the vocals. Flynn's always been able to do solid roaring verse vocals, and has made some really nice choruses with his loud, forceful, melodic shouting/singing voice. However, honestly, he lacks a great soft singing voice. Whilst this wasn't an issue during previous cameos or whilst buried amongst other instruments on 'Sail Into The Black', his multiple lead appearances on this record aren't pleasant, culminating in the extremely tiresome all-soft 'Damage Inside', made worse by his ever-present breathing. Additionally, his tendency to include over-dramatic narrating/ranting vocal parts into songs has also turned from a rarity into a regular feature here, and instead of adding emphasis to significant moments in songs, it just becomes irritating and forced. Finally, I don't know what the heck 'Game Over' is trying to be but I really do not like it in the slightest, and 'Imaginal Cells' is a lesser effort than 'Real Eyes, Realize, Real Lies' at making a powerful social commentary sound-bite track. All these niggles individually wouldn't matter, but together become a collection of irritations that ultimately detract from my overall opinion of the record.

After all that negativity, I want to restate that I generally like the album. I think there are a number of good riffs, nice solos, and ultimately several strong songs, like 'Ghosts Will Haunt My Bones', 'Beneath The Silt' and 'Sail Into The Black'. However, this is a much less focused album than Unto The Locust and far less consistent than The Blackening, with too many excesses and niggles to match up to recent efforts. So, to answer the question of where the band went next, they chose somewhere between their past two releases, with both the good and bad that comes with that.

And yes, the review is long, but so is the album, so perhaps it's appropriate.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 5
Originality: 5
Production: 8

Written by musclassia | 22.12.2014

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
Ilham
Rating:
Metal fans can be hypocritical sometimes.

Read more ››
published 16.12.2014 | Comments (37)

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 84 users
23.12.2014 - 03:25
Rating: 8
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
That's a well-written review and good point about it being long, but consistent with the album itself. Whilst I rate the album a lot higher than you do, I appreciate the points you've made. There are certain elements that niggle with me as well.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
23.12.2014 - 15:07
Rating: 6
musclassia
Staff
Written by Ace Frawley on 23.12.2014 at 03:25

That's a well-written review and good point about it being long, but consistent with the album itself. Whilst I rate the album a lot higher than you do, I appreciate the points you've made. There are certain elements that niggle with me as well.

I actually scaled down the score between the time I sent the review in and having the proofread return - the more I thought on the album the more disappointed I was by it. I think there's a fair number of strong moments on it, it's just got too many subpar moments and it was a letdown after the last couple albums. It's not even as if I dislike MH being commercial - Unto The Locust had several very accessible numbers in Be Still and Know, Locust and Darkness Within but I thought that album was a lot stronger than this one. Even if The Blackening is far and away my favourite release by them, I'm not necessarily looking for more of the same - a tighter album without all the unnecessary vocal histrionics next time round and I'll likely be back on board with MH.
24.12.2014 - 07:15
UPDIRNS
I agree with your review. I love MH and felt annoyed by many songs. Like a lot of MH's material it grows on you like Mastodon's does. To me that's typical of progressive metal. However, I've listened to the entire album 5-6 times now and did not feel an emotional connection. I wanted to, but only a few songs reached me. I will continue to see if it wears on me and I hope it does, but Unto the Locust and The Blackening are far better albums in my opinion and this album has been a let down to me thus far.

Hits total: 2713 | This month: 8