02. Hammer I Kors
03. Nidstong
04. Hedensk Oppstandelse
05. Nord Og Ner
06. Nornene
07. Trelldom
08. Av Oss, For Oss
09. Blodsbånd [limited edition bonus]

As it turns out, Norrøn was merely a stepping stone in Einherjer's return. The Viking beats are back in full form in Av Oss, For Oss.

Resolved in moderate rhythms, the band have set out an admirably crafted track-list in this latest effort that assures a rewarding listen as it returns to Blot levels of consistency. The same three piece line-up continues on to forge the melodically resilient style to the Einherjer name, and reaffirms their position at the forefront of Norwegian Viking metal with album number six. Folk flavour in the instrumentation and presentation is minimal in a record which ultimately strives for memorable melodic metal with a firmly established rhythm section effectively achieving its direct aims.

Gerhard Storesund's drumming creates a focalising centrality around which all else is worked well, some folk touches in the percussion and backing vocal arrangements making their way into a mix determined by strident tones from lead vocalist Frode Glesnes and his guitar work set into a duality and resolute tempo with Aksel Herløe. Nothing obstructs the sequential nature with which the album unfolds and flows, as each tune stands out clearly on its own terms despite the largely effects free approach. No flimsy folk affectations that are prone to gimmick are to be found here; the metal comes first with the band's characteristic additions inbuilt into the song structures. The introductory "Fremad" opens with the wind and waves as befitting any Viking embarkation, proceeding to provide a folk founded bookend to Av Oss, For Oss, divided by six songs prior to the concluding and comparatively monumental ten minute title track.

Static pacing and repetition seeps some strength from the song writing overall, particularly in cuts such as "Nornene," as it serves as a rather unanimated predecessor to the likes of "Trelldom" or as it follows the reverberating pound set about by the singable "Nord Og Ner" (if you can, unlike I, actually pronounce the memorable title line without butchering it, that is). "Up-tempo" is something the band clearly don't see as a necessity, with their latest effort's quickest segments in "Nidstong" preferring an "adequately approaching" speed to "fast approaching." "Adequate" would be their watchword in terms of tempo.

This fixation bears no limitations upon melody, however, as each of the tunes bring their own memorable distinction to the record on the back of some quality, if somewhat repetitious, riffing. The qualities of such are brought out most efficiently by the album's production, showcasing the instrumentation and vocalisation on equal footing, with ample attention given to the infrequent atmospheric segments, additional vocals when used and the particular presence of distinguishing and folk characterising percussion.

Ultimately it's rhythm that defines the approach and strength of Av Oss, For Oss, with which the name Einherjer is meaningfully rejuvenated in a resolved studio effort.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 9

Written on 28.12.2014 by R'Vannith enjoys music, he's hoping you do too.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 136 users
28.12.2014 - 16:20
Lokaeda
Account deleted
I think this album has become my favourite out of their discography. Really enjoying it, especially "Nidstong".
28.12.2014 - 23:19
Frodd
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 28.12.2014 at 16:20

I think this album has become my favourite out of their discography. Really enjoying it, especially "Nidstong".

Same. My fav is the title track though.
29.12.2014 - 16:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 28.12.2014 at 16:20

agreed, band simply came out in wright time wright country, if it would be not Norge I think this band would be less famous
I neverhave been huge fan, but I did listen when I start dig deeper and heard Viking metal
I like this album most, seems its best
They need another guitarist IMO
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.12.2014 - 20:11
Lokaeda
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 29.12.2014 at 16:34

They already have two?
29.12.2014 - 21:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 29.12.2014 at 20:11

Written by Bad English on 29.12.2014 at 16:34

They already have two?

yes they have but in old days it was 1-1-1 --- in old days they needed one more
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.12.2014 - 08:28
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
You could have pedal up "originality" as its way more diverse than previous works of Einherjer to be honest. Some songs does resemble a shadow of "Blot" but thickness of songs and diversity is far better in this record. Well, that's my analysis and this have come after going through numerous spins. Prove me wrong if you want.

Other than that, good review. I was really looking forward to this record considering they started creating milestones ever since "Native Art" was released.

Favorite track - title track.
03.01.2015 - 07:00
Rating: 8
Susan
Smeghead
Wow. I missed something here. The last Einherjer album I have is Odin Owns Ye All and, while I LOVE it, I never got around to hearing anything released after. This band has come FAR! What a wonderful evolution to behold. I kinda want to go back and hear the process but this album is so good I think I'll just enjoy it and move forward. Yeah, it's not perfect as you say but still manages to be quite worthy of the 8 rating. The melodies and keyboard elements complement the bare harshness (that I'm used to from them) so nicely.

That title track is eeeeeeepic. Damn.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs

Hits total: 4018 | This month: 21