11. The Greatest Show On Earth
12. Sagan [bonus]

The Best Symphonic Metal Album Of 2015 / The Biggest Letdown Of 2015

Additional info
Available as:
  • Standard CD
  • Digibook (including instrumental CD)
  • 2LP (vinyl in gatefold) in different colors
  • Earbook (including instrumental and orchestral CD)
  • Earbook (deluxe version including bonus vinyl)
  • Download

• Staff review by
    Susan
    Rating:
    Short answer: Yeah, it's really great.

Long answer:

Read more ››
    published 25.03.2015 | Comments (57)

Guest review by
    Metren
    Rating:
    Some bands keep evolving and some don't. Those bands that change their style or genre or - most importantly - change their approach towards songwriting itself are sometimes heavily criticized, and at times rightfully so. Not all change is good and change for the sake of change is pointless for obvious reasons.

However...

Doing the same thing over and over again for five albums is even more pointless. How ironic is it that Nightwish's least original album is inspired by the writings of the father of evolutionary biology? And how unfortunate is it that the inclusion of two new capable musicians to the band has left Holopainen so uninspired?

Read more ››
    published 10.10.2015 | Comments (14)

Found in 49 lists
    Top lists

Comments

Comments: 136   Visited by: 1550 users
    30.12.2014 - 12:36
    I can't wait forrrrrrr lol
    16.01.2015 - 11:54
    Rating: 10
    /Marius
    Can't wait for this. Really, really excited!
    07.02.2015 - 19:45
    annodomini
    Hm... Sagan and Ellan leaked. Songs are not bad, but Floors' voice is absolutely unexploited.
    ----
    the riddle wants to be...
    10.02.2015 - 03:20
    Rating: 5
    marshalldml
    Just heard Elan,it's just..so not metal....I can barely hear the guitar....
    And yeah,Floors' voice is unexploited.
    12.02.2015 - 17:29
    Rating: 6
    Just heard Elan and Sagan.

Why does Nightwish even have a guitarist anymore? -_- Hardly heard him on the last album, and he's totally invisible in these two songs too.
    13.02.2015 - 04:33
    marshalldml
    Just heard the official version of the songs,not so different from the leak,dissapointed.........
    13.02.2015 - 13:21
    Cynic Metalhead
    Paisa Vich Nasha
    Boo! Elan is piece of shit. I think I'll hardly go over and check out the full disc. Very very crappy song.
    13.02.2015 - 14:10
    marshalldml
    Written by The Melting Snow on 12.02.2015 at 17:29

Why does Nightwish even have a guitarist anymore? -_- Hardly heard him on the last album, and he's totally invisible in these two songs too.

Well,I went to nightwish official forum to check their opinions about these songs,guess what,some of them said the GUITAR on these two songs SOUNDS GREAT!
    Can't believe those fanboys.....
    14.02.2015 - 02:11
    FeskarN

ye agree, the guitars is really low in the mix on these two songs and no real riffing so far, just power chords. Nightwish can do so much better on the guitar side
    ----
    The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
    14.02.2015 - 03:41
    Bad English
    Tage Westerlund

I agree seems band is getting in some kind Toumas H. side project as his solo album ....,
    ----
    I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
    apos;'
    [image]
    I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
    16.02.2015 - 01:40
    Litvin
    Written by Bad English on 14.02.2015 at 03:41

I agree seems band is getting in some kind Toumas H. side project as his solo album ....,

Guitars sucks. They have pipes on full time
    17.03.2015 - 08:34
    annodomini
    Calm down. Album has leaked and as always it was just a traditionally weak NW singles. There's heavy guitars, a new approach, Floor's strong vocals and great songwriting. Everything looks very promising!
    ----
    17.03.2015 - 16:01
    Rating: 9
    RhaegarTargaryen
    Telcontar
    Album leaked. Listened to it twice. Ordered 3CD earbook set. Sounds like a mix of Once and Imaginaerum mostly. But better than both in my opinion. Nailed it.
    ----
    ... For years I have traveled in coldness,
    But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
    Nothing can never take away
    What I've seen with these tired eyes
    17.03.2015 - 20:01
    annodomini
    Written by RhaegarTargaryen on 17.03.2015 at 16:01

Album leaked. Listened to it twice. Ordered 3CD earbook set. Sounds like a mix of Once and Imaginaerum mostly. But better than both in my opinion. Nailed it.

Definitelly better than the last two, but here the problems for me (and some good things from it):
    No hit songs (like "I want my tears back, like Bye bye beautiful, like Wish I had an angel...) - but the albums sound seamless instead, which is also a good thing.
    Unexploited vocals. Actually vocals are the main disappointment. It just vanishes between the music.
    Strange mixing and mastering at times.
    Unescecary instrumental track.
    I expeted more Troy.
    WHY FLOOR IS NOT USING HER OPERA VOICE???
    The purpose of the last song? Does it really needed a 24 minutes? Magnitude in sake of magnitude.

But all in all it's a big step forward, with less disney orchestrations and more rock oriented sound. And despite the lack of really catchy songs, there are no filler and weak songs in general. Album sounds good as a whole.
    ----
    17.03.2015 - 23:05
    Rating: 7
    azry3L
    Written by annodomini on 17.03.2015 at 20:01

Definitelly better than the last two, but here the problems for me (and some good things from it):
    No hit songs (like "I want my tears back, like Bye bye beautiful, like Wish I had an angel...) - but the albums sound seamless instead, which is also a good thing.
    Unexploited vocals. Actually vocals are the main disappointment. It just vanishes between the music.
    I expeted more Troy.
    The purpose of the last song? Does it really needed a 24 minutes? Magnitude in sake of magnitude.

But all in all it's a big step forward, with less disney orchestrations and more rock oriented sound. And despite the lack of really catchy songs, there are no filler and weak songs in general. Album sounds good as a whole.

I actually liked the instrumental track a lot. I thought it fit the album nicely. Agree with the strange mixing and mastering. Also, I wanted a lot more operatic vocals from Floor, as well. She only uses her operatic vocals for a short time in The Greatest Show on Earth. I had no problems with the 24 minute ending. I'm just glad that the speaking parts were kept to a minimum.

The highlight tracks for me on this album: Weak Fantasy, Yours Is An Empty Hope, The Eyes of Sharbat Gula, and The Greatest Show on Earth.
    Overall, could have been better, but a pretty solid album.
    18.03.2015 - 08:22
    annodomini
    Written by azry3L on 17.03.2015 at 23:05

Written by annodomini on 17.03.2015 at 20:01

I expeted more Troy.

I actually liked the instrumental track a lot. I thought it fit the album nicely. Agree with the strange mixing and mastering. Also, I wanted a lot more operatic vocals from Floor, as well. She only uses her operatic vocals for a short time in The Greatest Show on Earth. I had no problems with the 24 minute ending. I'm just glad that the speaking parts were kept to a minimum.

The highlight tracks for me on this album: Weak Fantasy, Yours Is An Empty Hope, The Eyes of Sharbat Gula, and The Greatest Show on Earth.
    Overall, could have been better, but a pretty solid album.

Well, after few more listens, I ended up liking almost every song except Our decades and the last two. I just can't get "My walden" out of my head. In the end it's really pleasing and much much better album than the last one. I would rate it 8.5.
    Lets hope they will use more Floor in the future.
    ----
    18.03.2015 - 16:45
    Rating: 8
    Unhealer
    Eclecticist
    Up to the fifth track included the album starts REALLY good, then the rest is pretty average.
    The last song is good, but I don't quite understand what he attempted there. It's 24 minutes of music, silence, explosions, music, silence, explosions...
    Weak Fantasy and Your Is An Empty hope are really good, they took advantage of Floor on those songs.
    18.03.2015 - 18:45
    ManiacBlasphemer
    Black Knight
    Written by Guest on 18.03.2015 at 13:19

I'm getting a few 'Symphony of Destruction' vibes from this lol. Good album. 'My Walden' is probably my favourite for now. Some of the other songs get a bit samey at times. I can't wait to hear some of these live though.

Very, very lame album to be honest. Shudder Before The Beautiful, Weak Fantasy and My Walden are some of the good tracks, rest are fillers while the last two tracks are just there to be there, they do nothing. Too many moments of silence, the intro takes way too long and it does not reach climax. I adore Floor, but her vocal performance is very restrained and restrictive. I think it was a bad decision for her to join Nightwish. This is an album that has Anette written all over it.
    18.03.2015 - 20:20
    I agree. I felt that the first 4 tracks were rather strong. (I managed to warm up to Elan after it was released as a single, and I really quite love it) That said, I found a majority of this album to be very forgettable indeed. From everything I'd read and watched, I was expecting some seriously awesome performances from Floor and Troy, really showcasing their abilities. Sadly, this was not the case. Troy has a few good moments, but I sadly feel that he's wasted here, which is a shame considering what a great talent is. It hurts doubly so when it comes to Floor. We all know how amazing she is, After Forever and ReVamp are clear signs of it. Even her live videos with Nightwish show she's capable of a lot with this band, she's Floor Fucking Jansen, she's amazing...and yet she was wasted here, her vocals hardly ever show anything exemplary of what she's capable of, which is a big letdown, save for Weak Fantasy and Empty Hope.

Part of the problem I think is that Tuomas is the writer for all this stuff, and I know it's always been that way, but thing is, that doesn't promote synergy, some of the best albums out there have happened when the band are all putting their heads together to create collaborative beauty, with equal passion. Sadly, that's not the case here, and it's just the band performing what's been written for them. I know Floor is okay with that, but damn, her abilities are so underutilized here. Tuomas should've focused on Nightwish at the time of writing, rather than working on this album and his own solo work.

With all that in mind, I do have to say I'm in love with the last two tracks. Everything after Empty Hope never feels like it reaches its true potential, even though it comes close a few times. The last two tracks though, I found to be absolutely beautiful. The music had a chance to breathe, expand, and create some wonderful soundscapes. I may be in the minority here, but the finale of the last song damn near brought me to tears, it was powerful as hell. I was in love with it, the atmosphere was strong as hell, unlike the rest of the album, which it was severely lacking.

Overall, it's not bad, since half of the songs are strong (with the final one challenging the awesomeness of Ghost Love Score...maybe), but the middle of the album was largely forgettable, and needs some serious TLC. A bit of a disappointment, but it could've been a lot worse.
    19.03.2015 - 13:26
    I dont see why they had to kick Anette out. Floor has brought nothing special to the vocals, any pop singer could've done this album just as good.

Song lengths are unnecessarily long. 6 minutes per song when the structures are so NOT complex, waste of time(Reminded me how moonspell's latest album has songs around 5 min or shorter but they have a lot more happening in them, and NO, i'm not comparing moonspell to nightwish).

The thing that hurts most is the guitarwork. Emppu has done some great work in the first 3-4 albums, now the guitars, when they are present, are too simple and forgettable.

I've listened to the album a couple times, no song has stuck with me till now. Overall, disappointed, and i wasnt even expecting much.
    20.03.2015 - 01:52
    Rating: 8
    Dark Forever
    Ruído Sonoro
    Easy to hate, hard to get into, but with brilliant moments. Edema Ruh is probably the only track which doesn't really add nothing to the album. The first four songs are powerful and well structured, even if Élan is really simple and somewhat commercial, but I truly enjoy the melody in the chorus. Then comes a beautiful ballad, immediately followed by one of the catchiest songs in the album, My Walden. The title track is good but nothing special, Edema Ruh is average, but then the album kicks in for a strong ending. First with Alpenglow, probably the best track in the album if you're looking for guitars; after that a beautiful instrumental and finally the great epic finale, which to be honest could be cut down to 20 instead of 24 minutes, but overall with delicious moments. However, I don't see many people immediately liking this album, or giving it a second chance. But those who do may very well find themselves enjoying it more and more. Only two complaints: there could be more guitars in some parts and Floor has a much more powerful voice than shown here (a small operatic part in the last song, the great performance in the ballad and the more powerful voice in Yours Is An Empty Hope are the only moments where she stands out). 8.6/10.
    ----
    Taste the DARK...
    ... and you'll live FOREVER!
    20.03.2015 - 22:23
    Ellrohir
    Heaven Knight
    Very good album, if you ask me...Alpenglow is awesome, also other songs have moments...sometimes i'd swear i hear tunes from older songs, but whatever...
    ----
    My rest seems now calm and deep
    Finally I got my dead man sleep

22.03.2015 - 03:38
    Bad English
    Tage Westerlund
    Written by The Melting Snow on 19.03.2015 at 13:26

I dont see why they had to kick Anette out. Floor has brought nothing special to the vocals, any pop singer could've done this album just as good.

its not she or not Anette what wrote music its Thoumas Holopainen , maybe Marko a little bit but basically its keyboardist show ....
    ----

apos;'
    [image]
    22.03.2015 - 03:39
    Bad English
    Tage Westerlund
    Written by Ellrohir on 20.03.2015 at 22:23

Very good album, if you ask me...Alpenglow is awesome, also other songs have moments...sometimes i'd swear i hear tunes from older songs, but whatever...

its not out, only 2 songs
    ----

apos;'
    [image]
    22.03.2015 - 11:49
    Written by Bad English on 22.03.2015 at 03:38

Written by The Melting Snow on 19.03.2015 at 13:26

its not she or not Anette what wrote music its Thoumas Holopainen , maybe Marko a little bit but basically its keyboardist show ....

I was talking about the vocals. Floor's delivery has nothing too special. Annete could've done the exact same. So could kelly clarkson or taylor swift. The hype surrounding Floor was way over the top.
    22.03.2015 - 12:16
    Bad English
    Tage Westerlund
    Written by The Melting Snow on 22.03.2015 at 11:49

I was talking about the vocals. Floor's delivery has nothing too special. Annete could've done the exact same. So could kelly clarkson or taylor swift. The hype surrounding Floor was way over the top.

like I said its Thoumas show, he might say how she must sing IMO .... some blabber interviews confirms it was his idea how all must sounds, even Flood wanted heavier
    ----

apos;'
    [image]
    22.03.2015 - 19:55
    ColdRail
    They are playing smart imo. Release a simpler album without using full Floor vocal delivery and the next album will improve everything. This way they dont release an over the top album and then the quality starts decreasing in the next albums... maybe I am just overthinking
    23.03.2015 - 12:17
    Yup, that's pretty clear. they should've just stuck with Anette then.
    26.03.2015 - 17:13
    RyuIV
    Account deleted
    I already have it but can't tag it as 'have' on here. Wow. Atleast they're fast with reviews.
    26.03.2015 - 22:15
    Erik M.
    I only care a very tiny bit about this band again due to Floor being in it now.

But I'm pretty sure even Floor is unable to make the difference seeing as Tuomas is still the biggest influence on the band's sound.

Hits total: 35590 | This month: 56