11. The Greatest Show On Earth
12. Sagan [bonus]

The Best Symphonic Metal Album Of 2015 / The Biggest Letdown Of 2015

Additional info
Available as:
  • Standard CD
  • Digibook (including instrumental CD)
  • 2LP (vinyl in gatefold) in different colors
  • Earbook (including instrumental and orchestral CD)
  • Earbook (deluxe version including bonus vinyl)
  • Download

• Staff review by
    Susan
    Rating:
    Short answer: Yeah, it's really great.

Long answer:

Read more ››
    published 25.03.2015 | Comments (57)

Guest review by
    Metren
    Rating:
    Some bands keep evolving and some don't. Those bands that change their style or genre or - most importantly - change their approach towards songwriting itself are sometimes heavily criticized, and at times rightfully so. Not all change is good and change for the sake of change is pointless for obvious reasons.

However...

Doing the same thing over and over again for five albums is even more pointless. How ironic is it that Nightwish's least original album is inspired by the writings of the father of evolutionary biology? And how unfortunate is it that the inclusion of two new capable musicians to the band has left Holopainen so uninspired?

Read more ››
    published 10.10.2015 | Comments (14)

Found in 49 lists
    Top lists

Comments page 2 / 5

Comments: 136   Visited by: 1550 users
    27.03.2015 - 01:24
    Rating: 7
    Ismarmlp

Mediocre...
    27.03.2015 - 09:32
    M C Vice
    ex-polydactyl
    Amazing. Holopainen let someone else (Heitala) co-write lyrics on a song.
    ----
    "Another day, another Doug."
    "I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
    " 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
    27.03.2015 - 11:52
    Mariocalin

Average album
    ----
    We are the priest of the temple of Synix
    27.03.2015 - 13:35
    Rating: 6
    Litvin

Looks like they lost their spirit hoverer previous album was a great surprise but this one is just another one album.

-Not enough guitars and solos on the album
    -I believe Floor able to sing way much better and clearer (cant see much differences between Floor and Anette vocal)
    -Too much pan flutes.
    -The album sounds to much kinda in a pop music way and not as epic as Nightwish really can do.
    -"Shudder Before The Beautiful" on 03:55 - 04:17 sounds exactly like Epica

Just a few memorable moments on the album:
    "Sagan" is great. "Shudder Before The Beautiful" and "Edema Ruh" not so bad at some points.

Will give it to listen some more times anyway.
    27.03.2015 - 14:19
    Rating: 9
    jhcjobpb

Best Nightwish album since Once (2004) imo. The album is just getting better and better the more I listen to it!
    I wanted Floor to bring more to the table yes, but her voice suits these songs great.

First impressions of albums usually deceive. So listen to it several times and come back and comment, whether it's good or bad.
    27.03.2015 - 17:34
    The Melting Snow

Written by jhcjobpb on 27.03.2015 at 14:19

Best Nightwish album since Once (2004) imo. The album is just getting better and better the more I listen to it!
    I wanted Floor to bring more to the table yes, but her voice suits these songs great.

First impressions of albums usually deceive. So listen to it several times and come back and comment, whether it's good or bad.

heard it again, still can't hear guitars, not any quality vocals. Lyrics still very poor. no memorable melodies. I doubt i'll be able to hear them even after a dozen more listens
    27.03.2015 - 20:44
    paragraph7

The irony: the theme is about the complexity of universe and time, but the music is in theory as simple and generic as any EuroVision contest song.
    27.03.2015 - 22:16
    Steve Smith

I'm not sure why the concept is so difficult for reviewers to grasp, but this is a new album. It is a work on it's own and it invalidates your review if you compare it to previous work. This is not a remake. It is a new story. As for the musical similarities to this song or that song it's called style, as in "this is the band's style". A symphonic metal band shouldn't have to put out dance music or country to have reviewers stop bashing them for similarities to previous work. Judge it on it's own merits, not past ones. Just a thought ?..

Now for those who have issues with the vocals remember that Thomas asked Floor to not go balls-to-the-wall, her trade mark, and try different styles to stretch her range. This is a artistic progression on Thomas's part, not an inability on Floors. It's unfortunate how many people had this weird idea that bringing Floor in meant a return to heavy operatic vocals. If they wanted that they could have just brought Tarja back. Thomas wanted a voice that can go with anything he wants to write. Not the opera only vocals of Tarja or the pop only sound of Annette. If people feel they must compare the singers then I have a suggestion that solves all the problems. Repeat after me ??.. I like <insert singer here> the best. This is a valid statement. Any statement that one is better than the other is an opinion, not a fact. If anyone out there who believes one singer is better than the others has empirical evidence to back it up I'd love to see it. Otherwise just state your opinion and leave it at that (please remember to start it with "I think", not "She is way better than her!!!!!!!!!!". Leave that to the obnoxious loudmouths who believe their opinions actually represent reality.
    27.03.2015 - 22:54
    Risto
    Wandering Midget
    Written by Steve Smith on 27.03.2015 at 22:16

Double post

We're smart enough to get your point at once, thank you.
    27.03.2015 - 23:21
    Didymus

The only risk taken on this album is the inclusion of animal sounds. Not one song is a worthy addition to the Nightwish catalogue. Very, very sad. The album just reeks of a band who decides to chill instead of grow.
    27.03.2015 - 23:23
    Steve Smith

Risto, I think the previous comment is proof enough that some people don't.
    27.03.2015 - 23:24
    Rating: 8
    Ruchesko

A large share of the negative/mixed reactions to this seem to be from people disappointed that the hiring of Floor didn't in fact mean a return to Tarja-era "opera metal". Personally, I was pretty sure that ship sailed in the mid-2000s when a coloratura soprano was replaced by the frontwoman of an AOR band.

This isn't their hottest album - certainly no Wishmaster - it's still some intermittently great symphonic metal from the guy who popularized the genre. Long live the king. And at least Nightwish have retained the metal - more than can be said for Within Temptation.
    27.03.2015 - 23:29
    Steve Smith

I think this is the most complete album Nightwish has ever made. I enjoy all the songs. I love the way Floors voice is used, covering different styles of vocal and not just blasting with the power anyone who has followed her in the past knows she has. To me this is a fusion of the new music and the old music. Very well done guys. You've just become my favourite band in the genre.

9.5 / 10 ( I'm not big on spoken word in songs or I would have gone 10 )
    27.03.2015 - 23:49
    Steve Smith

Written by Ismarmlp on 27.03.2015 at 01:24

Mediocre...

So don't buy the album if that's your opinion. Floor joining the band didn't change them. Thomas is the creator, always was always will be. Are you another closet "Tarja" worshipper who will never be happy until she's back and they are regurgitating the same songs they did 15 years ago? Not gonna happen so maybe you should be following a post for a band you do like rather than slagging one because they make the music they want to, not what others want. This is so reminiscent of when Annette joined and everyone was "she sucks!!!!", but then Dark Passions Play became their best selling album ever. Evolution is necessary, but it can be painful. Deal with it.
    27.03.2015 - 23:51
    Steve Smith

Written by azry3L on 17.03.2015 at 23:05

Written by annodomini on 17.03.2015 at 20:01

Written by RhaegarTargaryen on 17.03.2015 at 16:01

Album leaked. Listened to it twice. Ordered 3CD earbook set. Sounds like a mix of Once and Imaginaerum mostly. But better than both in my opinion. Nailed it.

Definitelly better than the last two, but here the problems for me (and some good things from it):
    No hit songs (like "I want my tears back, like Bye bye beautiful, like Wish I had an angel...) - but the albums sound seamless instead, which is also a good thing.
    Unexploited vocals. Actually vocals are the main disappointment. It just vanishes between the music.
    Strange mixing and mastering at times.
    Unescecary instrumental track.
    I expeted more Troy.
    WHY FLOOR IS NOT USING HER OPERA VOICE???
    The purpose of the last song? Does it really needed a 24 minutes? Magnitude in sake of magnitude.

But all in all it's a big step forward, with less disney orchestrations and more rock oriented sound. And despite the lack of really catchy songs, there are no filler and weak songs in general. Album sounds good as a whole.

I actually liked the instrumental track a lot. I thought it fit the album nicely. Agree with the strange mixing and mastering. Also, I wanted a lot more operatic vocals from Floor, as well. She only uses her operatic vocals for a short time in The Greatest Show on Earth. I had no problems with the 24 minute ending. I'm just glad that the speaking parts were kept to a minimum.

The highlight tracks for me on this album: Weak Fantasy, Yours Is An Empty Hope, The Eyes of Sharbat Gula, and The Greatest Show on Earth.
    Overall, could have been better, but a pretty solid album.

Why isn't Floor using her Operatic voice? Because Thomas didn't want her to. Why would they go back to the "Tarja" era when they have enjoyed so much more popularity and freedom to create since they fired her? Look to the now and future. Yesterday is gone.
    28.03.2015 - 00:27
    Ismarmlp

Written by Steve Smith on 27.03.2015 at 23:49

Mediocre...

So don't buy the album if that's your opinion. Floor joining the band didn't change them. Thomas is the creator, always was always will be. Are you another closet "Tarja" worshipper who will never be happy until she's back and they are regurgitating the same songs they did 15 years ago? Not gonna happen so maybe you should be following a post for a band you do like rather than slagging one because they make the music they want to, not what others want. This is so reminiscent of when Annette joined and everyone was "she sucks!!!!", but then Dark Passions Play became their best selling album ever. Evolution is necessary, but it can be painful. Deal with it.

It's my opinion. I love Floor Jansen, but I have not taken advantage of his talent. I don't care what you think.
    28.03.2015 - 01:23
    Steve Smith

I've been listening to this album pretty much none stop since I got it and one thing just amazes me. How angry Floors voice can sound when she 's doing grungy vocals like in Weak Fantasy. Awesome!:banger:
    28.03.2015 - 02:51
    Susan
    Smeghead
    Written by Steve Smith on 28.03.2015 at 01:23

I've been listening to this album pretty much none stop since I got it and one thing just amazes me. How angry Floors voice can sound when she 's doing grungy vocals like in Weak Fantasy. Awesome!:banger:

Thank you! That's my favorite song and I don't feel like it's getting enough attention. Floor sounds FIERCE here

I can hardly stop listening either. So digging the simple awesomeness.
    ----
    "A life all mine
    Is what I choose
    At the end of my days"
    --The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
    28.03.2015 - 04:54
    Ruchesko

Mediocre...

Christ alive! Who the hell put you in charge of defending Lady Jansen's honor?

The man was simply expressing an opinion - nothing to deserve being mauled by a rabid fanboy. Chill the fuck out and go listen to your album some more if you love it so bloody much.
    28.03.2015 - 07:46
    Pazu

Oh yeah, definitely miles ahead of the latest Blind Guardian release. The final track gives me shivers.
    28.03.2015 - 08:13
    The Melting Snow

Marco should've been used on a couple songs. Nightwish's female vocals have gone downright boring and aren't enough to carry the weight of a song. Dual vocals might do the trick.

PS. tried listening to the album again. not even a single verse or chorus has stuck with me, nor any instrumental part. Lyrics sound childish now. The rating just might go from 6 to 5.
    28.03.2015 - 08:35
    Steve Smith

Written by Ruchesko on 28.03.2015 at 04:54

Mediocre...

Christ alive! Who the hell put you in charge of defending Lady Jansen's honor?

The man was simply expressing an opinion - nothing to deserve being mauled by a rabid fanboy. Chill the fuck out and go listen to your album some more if you love it so bloody much.

Doubtful it's the same person who put you in charge of defending Lady Ismarmlp 's honor. Just an opinion too, but if a person wants to express an opinion why don't they articulate one? Cheers .... gotta go .... listening
    28.03.2015 - 09:32
    Steve Smith

Written by Ismarmlp on 28.03.2015 at 00:27

Mediocre...

It's my opinion. I love Floor Jansen, but I have not taken advantage of his talent. I don't care what you think.

Ismarmlp , I do apologize. I did come off like rather an a-hole. If you don't mind me asking, how do you think they should have used her voice?
    28.03.2015 - 14:11
    ADarkerSoul

I disagree with a lot of the comments here and I love the direction this album has taken the band. I wasn't sure at first but after a couple of spins, I firmly believe this is an incredible piece of work that I'm glad to own
    28.03.2015 - 19:23
    CyberSymphony
    Ollie
    Bit of a mix for me, really liked the first two songs and some passages during the first half of the album. But the second half, especially TGSOE was really disappointing. Floor's vocals get damn good at times though.
    28.03.2015 - 20:02
    Azarath
    Free as a.. Fish

Plenty of posts defending the band and the album, highlighted by things like:
    This is a artistic progression on Thomas's part, not an inability on Floors. [...] Thomas wanted a voice that can go with anything he wants to write.

Are you actually Holopainen in disguise?
    28.03.2015 - 22:06
    Susan
    Smeghead
    Written by Azarath on 28.03.2015 at 20:02

This is a artistic progression on Thomas's part, not an inability on Floors. [...] Thomas wanted a voice that can go with anything he wants to write.

Who knows! He's actually been going around posting the same exact comments on several different metal sites so far. Everywhere that has a Nightwish review has a Steve Smith saying, "I'm not sure why the concept is so difficult for reviewers to grasp, but this is a new album... etc." Interesting!

I highly doubt Holopainen has the inclination to stoop that low with this but... shit, never underestimate the power of a crazed fan with nothing better to do.
    ----
    "A life all mine
    Is what I choose
    At the end of my days"
    28.03.2015 - 23:41
    Ruchesko

Written by Susan on 28.03.2015 at 22:06

I highly doubt Holopainen has the inclination to stoop that low with this...

I imagine he's too busy at home, chilling with Johanna in a bathtub of euros.
    28.03.2015 - 23:56
    Steve Smith

Written by Susan on 28.03.2015 at 22:06

Written by Azarath on 28.03.2015 at 20:02

Who knows! He's actually been going around posting the same exact comments on several different metal sites so far. Everywhere that has a Nightwish review has a Steve Smith saying, "I'm not sure why the concept is so difficult for reviewers to grasp, but this is a new album... etc." Interesting!

I highly doubt Holopainen has the inclination to stoop that low with this but... shit, never underestimate the power of a crazed fan with nothing better to do.

If two is several then IT"S EVERYWHERE!!!!!! Susan, it's called an opinion and it was an opinion on people who don't respect bands right to grow and experiment. An opinion doesn't make a fanboy. A fan boy worships a band. I enjoy this album. . I cannot says that for most of their early stuff. I like the fact they didn't just use Floor to regress back to 10 years and do a bunch of soprano vocals. It also stops people who came here with nothing better to do but bash the album, rather than discuss what could have been better and why, from spending hours turning this into a comparison of Tarya and Floor's soprano abilities. Sorry if I confused you. I'll type slower.
    29.03.2015 - 00:03
    Susan
    Smeghead
    I guess you didn't type slow enough because I still don't understand. Your response was to three reviews (so far just the 3 that I've seen) which all PRAISED Nightwish for growing and experimenting. Yet your comment is defensive about "reviewers" who don't "respect bands right to grow and experiment."

Huh?

Please type much, much slower.

This is definitely a first: he likes the album and yet is trying to argue with people who also like the album I've never seen this before in my years of observing forum trolls. Points for originality!
    ----
    "A life all mine
    Is what I choose
    At the end of my days"

Hits total: 35530 | This month: 67