Album: Clinamen | Episteme
Release date: December 2014

01. Hearken, Memmius!
02. Hence The Mouthful Of Time
03. Quae Sint...
04. Evidence. The Inexorable Dowry
05. Of Waters And Circling Thetis
06. Peri Hermeneias

For those who feel that Enslaved is the only band currently putting out good progressive black metal, please enter the journey that is Clinamen | Episteme. Utilizing brave and uplifting passages juxtaposed with mournful sections of pure melancholy, Inquisitor have crafted a truly unique and versatile sophomore effort. Every facet of the album seems to be meticulously fashioned to provide a seamless flow throughout the entire work allowing the listener to become fully absorbed.

The songwriting on this album is among the best I have heard within my lifetime. The use of piano in every song does not feel even remotely out of place, and rather than detracting from the ferocity manifested, it adds an additional layer to the already complex web Inquisitor weave.

The album constantly straddles the line between the projection of raw emotion and the release of anger, which comes through most clearly in the riffing. While the cliches of modern black metal are present (even if only in a minor way), Inquisitor refuse to allow genre classifications to restrict stylistic experimentation within their music. Some chord progressions come straight from Jazz-instructional textbooks while others evoke a strong feeling of the avantgarde side of black metal (similar to Deathspell Omega). Despite the undeniably broad range of influences present in Clinamen | Episteme, none of it seems out of place, and much like the piano, each little aspect only further emphasizes the themes present.

The vocals seem to be a point of minor controversy, as they are not particularly visceral, and often employ a relatively high-pitched form of clean vocalization indicative of a wail or a cry. However, I find that they fit perfectly within the style Inquisitor have created, and a stylistic choice more similar to other bands of the style would prevent them from standing-out.

Clinamen | Episteme has managed to maintain my interest from the very first time I listened to it up until what must be its 25th play-through. It is a unique affair, but not experimental to the point of polarizing the audience very drastically. While some aspects in the album may not be as immensely strong as others, the entire album comes together marvelously and has proven to be one of the most addictive albums of 2014 for this reviewer.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written by Alex F | 02.01.2015

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 57 users
02.01.2015 - 21:49
Ilham
Giant robot
Much interest. The vocals sound like something I'd hate though. We'll see. Added Cleanhymen | Epicsperm to my list.
02.01.2015 - 21:54
Susan
Smeghead
This sounds right up my alley. Even down to the unexpected vocals; I love the unexpected, they just can't suck

Very excited for that piano. I'll definitely give this is a try!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
02.01.2015 - 21:57
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Susan on 02.01.2015 at 21:54

I love the unexpected, they just can't suck

Some people would take that statement and make it into a challenge .
02.01.2015 - 22:31
Susan
Smeghead
Written by Ilham on 02.01.2015 at 21:57

Written by Susan on 02.01.2015 at 21:54

I love the unexpected, they just can't suck

Some people would take that statement and make it into a challenge .

A ha! Welcomed!!!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
02.01.2015 - 22:46
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Don't really expect Ilham to like this, but Susan, you'll have a good time with this given the more prog-influenced nature of your interests.
02.01.2015 - 22:48
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Ilham on 02.01.2015 at 21:49

Ceanhymen | Epicsperm

Well this is the albums new name in my eyes.
02.01.2015 - 22:52
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Alex F on 02.01.2015 at 22:48

Written by Ilham on 02.01.2015 at 21:49
Cleanhymen | Epicsperm

Well this is the albums new name in my eyes.
Don't really expect Ilham to like this.

Always happy to abide.
I am not only about core and stupid bdm you know . I'll let you know anyway!
02.01.2015 - 22:54
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Ilham on 02.01.2015 at 22:52

I am not only about core and stupid bdm you know . I'll let you know anyway!

Haha I know, I just don't recall you listening to anything very similar to this. Of course I still want your opinion on it, because well, I obviously love it.
03.05.2015 - 01:22
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
The vocals not particularly visceral? Dude, sometimes they are way more aggressive than what Enslaved puts out. Enjoyed them a lot.
Actually, at times these guys give Enslaved a serious run for their money but that's just me. Specially with those jazzy touches. Really complex music that stays focused the entire time. Damn I missed a lot of shit from last year because of the moving.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
03.05.2015 - 01:24
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.05.2015 at 01:22

The vocals not particularly visceral? Dude, I found them way more aggressive that what Enslaved tends to put out. Enjoyed them a lot.
Actually, at times these guys give Enslaved a serious run for their money but that's just me. Specially with those jazzy touches. Really complex music that stays focused the entire time. Damn I missed a lot of shit from last year because of the moving.

It would appear you did. I definitely agree that the jazzy touches achieve a level of complexity that Enslaved have not since Monumension, and I would definitely rate C|E over quite a few Enslaved releases as well. Glad you liked it! Also glad I could help you discover some stuff you missed out on
03.05.2015 - 01:32
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Alex F on 03.05.2015 at 01:24

Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.05.2015 at 01:22

The vocals not particularly visceral? Dude, I found them way more aggressive that what Enslaved tends to put out. Enjoyed them a lot.

It would appear you did. I definitely agree that the jazzy touches achieve a level of complexity that Enslaved have not since Monumension, and I would definitely rate C|E over quite a few Enslaved releases as well. Glad you liked it! Also glad I could help you discover some stuff you missed out on

Not to long ago you'd see me running away with anything with the word jazz on it. Probably because I fucking hate the masturbating some artists display. But lately I've discovered many metal bands that know how to use the influences and structures tastefully. This one is definitely one of them.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 2050 | This month: 14