04. Love Enslaves
05. The Newborn Spring
06. When The Sun Sets
07. Tears Of Medusa
08. Devil's Signs
09. The Lady Of The Game
10. Wild Females
11. Aries [bonus]

Let's close out 2014 right: fans of melodic metal from across the spectrum, come together and hear Evenoire's Herons. If you like proggy, heavy symphonic metal with folk elements and absolutely ass-kicking vocals, then step right up, step right up.

The dual guitars play a vital role and keep this album very heavy, even crunchy at times, helped along by the well-mixed and hard-hitting drums (drums are especially appreciated on "Love Enslaves," and many others). Strings appear on a few tracks in a dark, cabaret-like setting, as opposed to evoking a symphony orchestra as on others. In fact, much of this album has a very subtle sinister quality to it, permeating all of the beauty.

I don't know if I was prepared to say this about anyone: vocalist Elisa Stefanoni gives the almighty Floor Jansen a run for her money. Versatility and range, with actual vocal technique and immense control, she yells, she belts, and she soars in the stratosphere with a world of emotion, while of course the sweet simple soft notes are like butter. Fast, slow, high, low; this description could easily turn into a Dr. Seuss poem. This woman can sing, and I mean SANG.

Also, this talented gal plays the flute, which is an important support instrument to several of the tracks.

The songwriting is a unique exercise, with many pieces twisting and turning in unexpected directions. Catchy melodies are all over the place but it's not a simple or easy album; the surprises and left turns are what make this special. Songs that seem to start in one place will blossom in a secret garden miles away. And you'll love every second of the journey there.

Folk elements appear in more ways than just Elisa's flute, which fortifies non-folk oriented songs as well. Tunes such as "When The Sun Sets" are straight out of the highlands, while "The Newborn Spring" brings this folk vibe into the fold of their unique, heavy music for a superb fusion.

In 2012, Evenoire released Vitriol, a nice but somewhat unfocused and under-energized debut. Our former editor in chief, Doc Godin, stated in his review that they were "just in their embryonic state". Well, the embryo has grown and the metal gods have given glorious birth. This sophomore release sees the energy level increase to 11 and the skill of the musicians reach a new summit. Songwriting is now highly focused, which lets Herons burrow into the deep recesses of your heart and refuse to leave.

The marriage of this exceptional songwriting with the truly special vocals is what makes Herons one of the top melodic metal albums released in 2014. Herons would have been good with any singer, and this singer would make even a shitty album good, but together they are an atomic bomb of metal music.

Written on 03.01.2015 by Susan appreciates quality metal regardless of sub-genre. Metal Storm Staff since 2006.

Twitter: @HeavyMetalSusan

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 181 users
04.01.2015 - 14:45
fandango68

Thanks for your review Susan. Listening to this on Spotify at the moment, and it's certainly very accomplished; really enjoying it.
----
First gig was Manowar (loincloths 'n' all), Bristol Colston Hall in March 1983, on the 'Hail to England' tour. Tickets were £3.75, 300 in the audience, Mercyful Fate never showed, but my hearing still got seriously trashed..
04.01.2015 - 19:08
Rating: 8
BloodTears
ANA-thema
A hidden gem right here. They deserve more attention judging by how good this album is.

You do it justice with the review. Maybe now they'll be heard
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
04.01.2015 - 23:03
Rating: 10
Susan
Smeghead
I'm so glad you both like it! I also hope they get more attention; records like this are few and far between. In addition to finding it technically well done and well written, it's had a huge emotional effect on me. Even with just hearing a few notes my heart skips a beat and butterflies swarm my stomach It's my album of the year, and even though it won't be everyone's, I'm confident that most people will greatly enjoy it.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
05.01.2015 - 13:49
FYA
Destroyer
I like it.
08.01.2015 - 20:15
Shmyt

This review was spot fucking on. They are awesome!
10.01.2015 - 07:14
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Curse you, Susan. This album was never going to meet the expectations your review gave me.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
11.01.2015 - 17:49
Susan
Smeghead
Written by M C Vice on 10.01.2015 at 07:14

Curse you, Susan. This album was never going to meet the expectations your review gave me.

Awwwww

It was hyped a bit to me and after one listen I may have given it an 8, thinking it just another "really good" album. Give it a few more times and let it absorb into your body, making the experience your own. I had to do that to see (hear?) the light.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs

Hits total: 5262 | This month: 3