Style: Industrial death metal
Release date: February 2015

01. They Will Worship This Fire Of Agony
02. Stillborn Bastard Of The Nazarene
03. For That Which May Appease Lions
04. Serpent Of The Styx
05. Profaned And Perfected
06. The Burning Sands Of His Kingdom

Do people even care about the meaning of certain words anymore?

Using some synths, a sample and two techno beats at the end of a track doesn't make you industrial. The moment those elements really blend in, actually add something to the mix without sounding stereotypical, I can start considering this "industrial". Are Godflesh, Ministry, and Fear Factory so far away that we don't know what it really sounds like anymore?

[/rant]

Now that I got that out of the way, we can concentrate on what Indoctrination Of Sacrilege really is: Scandinavian-inspired death metal with squeaky-clean production, not too far from the likes of The Project Hate MCMXCIX, Illdisposed, Zyklon and a million others. The mention of TPH1999 is important, as I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them and Arbitrator - if the Swedish ones didn't incorporate those annoying female vocals in every track. For some of you, that might be good news: indeed, enough quality is displayed to warrant a listen if you're a fan of modern death metal.

This effort being Arbitrator's début, I am inclined to conclude that this isn't a bad start. It's just sad to see potential being applied solely on emulating a sound that's already old and better represented by others. I'm sure the Swanö production means the guarantee of a certain level for many of you, but to me it has become the musical equivalent of a fast-food burger. Throw some dirt, some real industrial craziness, and most importantly a part of what is really you in the future album, and I'll stop whining.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 3
Production: 7

Written by Ilham | 04.01.2015

Comments

Comments: 14   Visited by: 102 users
04.01.2015 - 18:08
Rupert
I like your reviews.
04.01.2015 - 18:12
Rating: 6
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Rupert on 04.01.2015 at 18:08

I like your reviews.

They like you back .
04.01.2015 - 18:17
Rupert
Written by Ilham on 04.01.2015 at 18:12

Written by Rupert on 04.01.2015 at 18:08

I like your reviews.

They like you back .

yisss
04.01.2015 - 18:26
Windrider
Raureif
Very nice review, enjoyable
Quote:

I'm sure the Swanö production means the guarantee of a certain level for many of you, but to me it has become the musical equivalent of a fast-food burger.

Hahaha loled quite hard here, but indeed, same goes for other bands that wave their producers like a dick in everyone's face.
04.01.2015 - 18:59
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Windrider on 04.01.2015 at 18:26

Very nice review, enjoyable
Hahaha loled quite hard here, but indeed, same goes for other bands that wave their producers like a dick in everyone's face.

Haha yeah. I find it funny that whenever a band gets their work done by Swanö, you never fail to hear about it haha. I should have said that it's the metal equivalent of a Pitbull featuring, funnier this way. And thanks ^^
04.01.2015 - 20:02
Susan
Smeghead
elite
I like your reviews, too!!!!

You said it pretty harshly here but I agree with the sentiment It's not original and it's not showing who they really are; it's emulating their influences. That said... I really like what I've heard!! I hope they "find themselves" with their next record but this debut shows that at least they can make a GENRE RECORD really well. I dig And will definitely watch them for the future.

Regarding this style, maybe I should be listening to The Project Hate more, as you mention above. I always like what I hear from them but get bored half way through every time. Maybe Arbitrator can take the reigns for the genre and make more sustainable music than TPH.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
04.01.2015 - 20:04
mz
So, not something like n0n?
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
04.01.2015 - 20:12
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by mz on 04.01.2015 at 20:04

So, not something like n0n?

If you mean The Amenta album, no. There is no industrial really. I would even take out the "industrial" tag from the band page to be honest.
04.01.2015 - 20:26
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Susan on 04.01.2015 at 20:02

I like your reviews, too!!!!

You said it pretty harshly here but I agree with the sentiment It's not original and it's not showing who they really are; it's emulating their influences. That said... I really like what I've heard!! I hope they "find themselves" with their next record but this debut shows that at least they can make a GENRE RECORD really well. I dig And will definitely watch them for the future.

Regarding this style, maybe I should be listening to The Project Hate more, as you mention above. I always like what I hear from them but get bored half way through every time. Maybe Arbitrator can take the reigns for the genre and make more sustainable music than TPH.

Thank you Susan, they wouldn't be published so fast if it weren't for you. I thank you for that too .

More than just that, what really annoys me is that the "industrial" elements put in there look forced and copy/pasted. It makes no sense to call yourself industrial and use only the most stereotypical elements of said genre in only the parts where it's easy to put them in: the intro and end of a track. That's lazy, and almost insulting to real industrial in my opinion. If I was sent a version of this record without those annoying make-believe industrial beeps, you would have seen me be nicer and even full of praise. I love Swedish modern death metal if it's done well.

I am not a fan of TPH to be honest, but I think their early work is a better ambassador of the genre. I'm sure you'd like those. But indeed, they tend to become tedious after a while. I blame the repetitive nature of the way they build their songs, it's always easy to predict when and how the female vocals will be integrated, that's one thing.

I'm hopeful for Arbitrator indeed, (it's a one-man-band, more or less). I just want to see the fake-industrial go away and be replaced by full on death metal, or really go all in with the electronic/techno approach.
04.01.2015 - 22:31
Susan
Smeghead
elite
^I hugely respect this
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
05.01.2015 - 00:22
Lord_Regnier
I don't write reviews myself, simply because I don't like to do it, but I wish to thank all those people who take time to do it on this board. I like reading them.

I wonder about the percentage of reviews that are written by girls on MS. Seems pretty high to me.
It confirms my feeling that Metal can be universal and not limited to a few specific groups of people.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
14.01.2015 - 00:55
theFIST
Written by Lord_Regnier on 05.01.2015 at 00:22

It confirms my feeling that Metal can be universal and not limited to a few specific groups of people.

this statement made me want a review by bad english,
shows how diverse in background and presentation metalheads are....
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
10.01.2016 - 22:56
polarmidget
I just found this band and hence the review.

Correct me if I'm missing something, maybe I'm incorrect but the first 2 song EP appears to be produced by Dan Swanö, not this album. I also didn't find Swanö to be something they were shoving in my face. I wouldn't have noticed the Swanö name if the review hadn't mentioned it. This is also the only site I've found that lists this band exclusively as industrial.

So to be fair to the artist it would be good to fact check a bit before turning in a fairly damning review. The 2 biggest complaints appeared to be the tagging as industrial (there are 100% industrial moments on the release. On most songs actually. You just have to actually listen to the entire song.) and the flagrant flaunting of Dan Swanö which it turns out was not the case. Lack of originality being a close 3rd I guess.

I try to check out a ton of bands and have to depend on the information I find to make a decision whether to spend time on a band or move on to the next. If i went solely on the review I would have missed this band, which is unfortunate for the band trying to make a living with music since this is a solid release.

I agreed at first that it sounded very similar to a lot of other things that had come before it so again, that finding on my own combined with the way the review set things up, I almost moved on. However I let it play out and the album is great. I did not find the lack of originality to be as big a problem as the review implied. The overall package is solid enough in my opinion to warrant a listen.
12.09.2016 - 19:58
FYA
Destroyer
Meh, generic. I prefer The Monolith Deathcult.

Hits total: 3058 | This month: 11