Metal Storm logo
How To Pronounce Band Names

21.05.2006 - 14:33
Daru Jericho
Post here band names you have difficulty or are unsure how to pronounce. Hopefully someone will know the answer!

As for me:
Akercocke
Anaal Nathrakh
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

21.05.2006 - 15:28
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Ah, a new one.

Akercocke, I was once read it should be pronounced (I'm now translation the pronounciation from Dutch to English)

-The first 'A' as in 'meh'. (Only the 'e' in 'meh')
-'Ker' as in the eu as in 'Euronymous'.
-Cock, as the english cock.'
-The last 'E' pronounced very long, sort of the last 'y' in 'deary'.

Ok, I hope you got that, I have a lot of trouble translation pronounciations, something which is very difficult IMO.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
21.05.2006 - 19:15
Baz Anderson
staff
ooh.. thats a different way of pronouncing Akercocke
i always said it how the guy on the DVD with their latest album says the name, and thats like:

A (like from apple)
KER (like from speaKERs)
COCK (how you would normally say it [if you would haha])
E (like from flowEr)

who know which way is right though
21.05.2006 - 19:20
__Az__
Interesting thread... Yeh... I think Akercocke is pronounced the way Baz Anderson says...Although who knows...

Im confused over your method 'Nervel'
21.05.2006 - 19:30
Vunts
What does it matter how one pronunces the name of the band? Just call everything however you want and you won't look any stupider than someone who says "yea but i talked to the <insert band name> member and he said the name is pronunced like this <insert band name>".
21.05.2006 - 22:40
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
I agree with Baz Anderson (at least he is British, lol).

I've got some problems with the name of Aesma Daeva. Would you pronounce it as you pronounce Latin (Ah - 'S' (letter) - Mo (as in Mother) - Duh - e (as in Exeter) - va (as in variation)) or do you say "Easmuh Deavuh"?
21.05.2006 - 23:40
danzig111
Account deleted
@Taktsekte: not a fan ov the band, but i always said it was "Ay-Ezzz-Muh Day-Evvv-Uhhh"
22.05.2006 - 00:18
Deth
Account deleted
I think Anaal Nathrakh is like this:

An (as in on)
aal (as in all)

Nath (just like it looks)
Rakh (as in rock)
22.05.2006 - 02:15
^Necrolust^
Maybe it's An aAl (like alien) Nath Rakh (ra h ) a like alien again.And h like hesitate.
----
Sin my soul,blesses with fire....
22.05.2006 - 05:45
fire101
Account deleted
Sunn O))). How do you pronounce )))?
22.05.2006 - 08:16
Raiden
Down Under Staff
elite
Oh, you only say the Sunn part. The O))) isn't a word or pronouncable or anything. You just say Sunn (like Sun) and that's it.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
22.05.2006 - 13:23
fire101
Account deleted
Oh, I was under the assumption you said Sun Oh. But thanks. BTW, how did you come across this information?
22.05.2006 - 15:17
__Az__
Written by Guest on 22.05.2006 at 13:23

Oh, I was under the assumption you said Sun Oh. But thanks. BTW, how did you come across this information?

Yeh.. I thought you had to pronounce the -OH aswell.. Ahh well, its easier this way...
22.05.2006 - 19:46
Sinsanity
Account deleted
"The Supreme Necrotic Audnance" of Annal Nathrakh (on total Fucking Necro or The Codex Necro) starts exatly with a voice that pronounces Anaal Nathrakh...And I'm pretty sure it should be pronounced like in latin, for example.
22.05.2006 - 22:44
Daru Jericho
Written by Baz Anderson on 21.05.2006 at 19:15

ooh.. thats a different way of pronouncing Akercocke
i always said it how the guy on the DVD with their latest album says the name, and thats like:

A (like from apple)
KER (like from speaKERs)
COCK (how you would normally say it [if you would haha])
E (like from flowEr)

who know which way is right though

Yeah, I pronounced it like that except the last e sounded more like 'ee' as in tree. I've seen quite a few pronounciations.
----

22.05.2006 - 23:10
Daru Jericho
Written by Guest on 22.05.2006 at 19:46

"The Supreme Necrotic Audnance" of Annal Nathrakh (on total Fucking Necro or The Codex Necro) starts exatly with a voice that pronounces Anaal Nathrakh...And I'm pretty sure it should be pronounced like in latin, for example.

Hm...I can't think of any Latin words with a double a but I'm guessing that way your pronounce it 'An-all Nath-rark' if my Latin serves me correct.
----

23.05.2006 - 13:18
fire101
Account deleted
Written by __Az__ on 22.05.2006 at 15:17

Written by Guest on 22.05.2006 at 13:23

Yeh.. I thought you had to pronounce the -OH aswell.. Ahh well, its easier this way...

Alright, well, thanks dude.
23.05.2006 - 13:42
KryptoN
imperceptible
The reason for not pronouncing the O / O))) in the name is (probably) because the O isn't a letter as seen from this picture of a Sunn amplifier (from where the band takes its name from):
23.05.2006 - 17:45
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Yes, the O)))) must be seen as soundwaves, that's what they represent.

Source: Same thread, on MSv2.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
23.05.2006 - 18:06
__Az__
Oh, cool... Cheers for the info guys...
24.05.2006 - 19:19
Daibh
Account deleted
Okay, I reckon I know how this one is pronounced, I just want to see what everyone else thinks. It has proved enjoyable in the past, after all...

...Dimmu Borgir
24.05.2006 - 19:39
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Dimmoo Boregear
----

25.05.2006 - 03:01
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
What about Leviathan? Or mabey even Arkhon Infaustus? I know i dont pronounce it right, because it sounds dumb when i say it, so mabey someone else would know.
25.05.2006 - 19:24
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
I pronounce "Leviathan" the way Behemoth pronounces it in their song "Towards Babylon". I think you know the song, listen to it, it is the first word of the lyrics. Good luck.

I have no idea about Arkhon Infaustus, so I wont meddle with that.
----

25.05.2006 - 21:37
Trifixion
Account deleted
Written by Immortal Plague on 25.05.2006 at 03:01

What about Leviathan? Or mabey even Arkhon Infaustus? I know i dont pronounce it right, because it sounds dumb when i say it, so mabey someone else would know.

I'm pretty sure Leviathan is: Lev-eye-eh-thin (or than instead of thin?)
And I've never heard of Arkhon Infaustus but I would just say it like it's spelled- Ark-on In-faust-us
25.05.2006 - 21:40
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
@Trixifixion, I think 'than'. That's quite right, I think.
----

25.05.2006 - 23:15
Krysling
Account deleted
I've got really stupid question. Where should I put the stress in Chuck Shuldiner' s last name?
26.05.2006 - 12:38
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Good one, I have no idea. I think "SCHULdiner". But I am far from sure.
----

26.05.2006 - 18:29
Trifixion
Account deleted
Yeah I'm 99% sure it's how Nervel put it.

Naglfar anyone? I'm pretty sure I got it but let's just check...is it Nag-uhl-far?
27.05.2006 - 19:00
fire101
Account deleted
Im pretty sure thats correct Trifixion.