Metal Storm logo
How To Pronounce Band Names

Original post

Posted by Daru Jericho, 21.05.2006 - 14:33
Post here band names you have difficulty or are unsure how to pronounce. Hopefully someone will know the answer!

As for me:
Akercocke
Anaal Nathrakh
04.01.2012 - 21:07
Aristarchos
Paysage d'Hiver?
04.01.2012 - 21:42
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Aristarchos on 04.01.2012 at 21:07

Paysage d'Hiver?

Pay-sahje dhee-ver

Pay (like let me pay) sahje (like massage) dhee (like Dee Snider) vehr (like veritas)

This makes sense in my head, hope it does for you too...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

04.01.2012 - 22:00
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Obviously it's Pausage Diver.

Like sausage diver, only with a P instead of the S.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.01.2012 - 02:03
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.01.2012 at 22:00

Obviously it's Pausage Diver.

Like sausage diver, only with a P instead of the S.

Sausage Diver should be the name of your next band...
----

09.01.2012 - 00:17
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.09.2011 at 05:10

Written by king_matt on 28.09.2011 at 05:04

Is Ensiferum just how it's spelled? What about Dimmu Borgir?

I've always pronounced it Insiferum, but this one chick at the record store said Ensifearum. Like ENsiFEARum.

It's Latin, so it's not Insiferum nor EnsiFEARum, but Ensiferum
----
7.0 means the album is good
09.01.2012 - 00:44
ANGEL REAPER
Dimmu Borgir is spoken in the same way it is written as far as i know...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
09.01.2012 - 01:57
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Milena on 09.01.2012 at 00:17

It's Latin, so it's not Insiferum nor EnsiFEARum, but Ensiferum

Many native English-speakers don't have a single idea about the pronunciation of letters of Latin alphabet because the vowel shift of the English language has altered the original pronunciation of all vowels.

I once met a Slovenian bloke called Matic (yep, you know the pronunciation: m, a, t, i, ts). There was a Canadian girl who told us something in the vein of "You dudes have a sick way of pronouncing letters. Why can't you pronounce it like normal?" The normal way according to her would be [meirik], as -matic in the word "automatic". English is just like mandarin Chinese and Persian. You can always guess the pronunciation but it's not necessarily related to the spelling. English and Mandarin are the languages where you pronounce syllables instead of letters.

Therefore... the anglicisation of Ensiferum would probably be Aenseefayrum or something like that. It's complicated because several pure vocals don't exist in standard or US English such as E and if they do, they don't have any coherent written form, you always need to bring a word as an example. For instance E like in "every" and "any"...
09.01.2012 - 02:47
ColdRail
Yeah, thats why they have spelling bees contests. Latin countries would be too easy to spell the words because of their writting that is more based on phonetics. In English there is a simple vowel sound named schwa that is very common, and it can be either an A, E, I, O, U. About, takEn, pencIl, elOquent, sUpply. too confusing
09.01.2012 - 11:11
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Ernis on 09.01.2012 at 01:57

It's complicated because several pure vocals don't exist in standard or US English such as E and if they do, they don't have any coherent written form, you always need to bring a word as an example. For instance E like in "every" and "any"...

Well I'd do that with IPA alphabet, since I've just learned it for a college subject, but no one understands that shit except language students About the previous part of the post, it is funny, because everyone thinks their pronunciation is the "right one", but it is only true for the case of us folks from ex Yugoslavia (well, if there are any more countries with this type of alphabet, my teachers lied to me) where vocals and consonants don't change, no matter what position they're in, and where one symbol always represents the same vocal sound. Thank God for Vuk Karad?ić.
----
09.01.2012 - 18:50
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 09.01.2012 at 00:44

Dimmu Borgir is spoken in the same way it is written as far as i know...

Dim-moo boar-gear

The actual name from which they took their band name is Dimmuborgir. The name is Icelandic and roughly translates as Dark Fortress. The band got the name from a lava field in Iceland.
----

09.01.2012 - 20:43
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Milena on 09.01.2012 at 11:11

Well I'd do that with IPA alphabet, since I've just learned it for a college subject, but no one understands that shit except language students About the previous part of the post, it is funny, because everyone thinks their pronunciation is the "right one", but it is only true for the case of us folks from ex Yugoslavia (well, if there are any more countries with this type of alphabet, my teachers lied to me) where vocals and consonants don't change, no matter what position they're in, and where one symbol always represents the same vocal sound. Thank God for Vuk Karad?ić.

Actually also Estonian language pronounces the letters of alphabet very closely to the original Latin pronunciation. Every letter has only one possible way of pronunciation. Although there are some exceptions which is that sometimes S is actually pronounced as Z, NG stands for a nasal sound and there's no way to express palatalisation in written form.

Nevertheless, Italian, Spanish and German have very simple pronunciation rules and especially the first two closely follow the original pronunciation of Latin letters.
And, of course, (classical) Latin itself has a very clear pronunciation system. One letter for one sound. No exceptions whatsoever. C is always K (although that changed some centuries later). The difficulties in pronunciation all hail from the fact that any language's pronunciation changes with years, not to speak of centuries but often the written traditional form survives while the actual pronunciation has shifted.

Italian and Spanish are extremely easy for Estonians to learn because except perhaps LL and J there's almost nothing different from our pronunciation. English, however, is much harder. During the first year of English at elementary school we studied new words only with IPA (yep, in Estonia 8-year-old kids study IPA). And the following year we started also learning the written forms of words by heart. Just like Chinese, first you learn the pronunciation and the written form must be learnt by heart later.

Now that I think about it, how is the "ryche" in Queensryche pronounced? I've heard it should be "royk" or smth. As also in "Mötley Crüe" the umlaut's there only for cosmetic purposes and shouldn't alter the pronunciation.
09.01.2012 - 22:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Ernis on 09.01.2012 at 20:43

Now that I think about it, how is the "ryche" in Queensryche pronounced? I've heard it should be "royk" or smth. As also in "Mötley Crüe" the umlaut's there only for cosmetic purposes and shouldn't alter the pronunciation.

as in the German Reich so Queensrÿche is pronounced as Queen's Reich, which of course makes total sense especially since the opening song of their self titled debut e.p. is called Queen Of The Reich.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.01.2012 - 22:41
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.01.2012 at 22:23

as in the German Reich so Queensrÿche is pronounced as Queen's Reich, which of course makes total sense especially since the opening song of their self titled debut e.p. is called Queen Of The Reich.

Thanks, makes sense indeed. I was baffled before because the spelling suggested something that'd be spelt "rüche" in German but it didn't make sense. I think I'm still going to pronounce it as "Kwinsrüche" just for the fun of it...
10.01.2012 - 00:16
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.01.2012 at 22:23

Yay, I got that one right.
----
10.01.2012 - 01:31
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Quote:

Yea if I'm not mistaken I believe that the umlaut in Queensrÿche is just a metal umlaut like in Mötley Crüe and Motörhead and has no effect on the pronunciation at all...
----

10.01.2012 - 01:36
Ernis
狼獾
Written by psykometal on 10.01.2012 at 01:31

Quote:

Yea if I'm not mistaken I believe that the umlaut in Queensrÿche is just a metal umlaut like in Mötley Crüe and Motörhead and has no effect on the pronunciation at all...

Indeed... cosmetic purpose only. However, I pronounce Mötley Crüe as it's written for fun... I wonder if they even know what the dots make it sound like...
10.01.2012 - 01:39
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Ernis on 10.01.2012 at 01:36

I wonder if they even know what the dots make it sound like...

I highly doubt it...I'd be surprised if they even knew that those are called umlauts...
----

10.01.2012 - 01:42
Ernis
狼獾
Written by psykometal on 10.01.2012 at 01:39

Written by Ernis on 10.01.2012 at 01:36

I wonder if they even know what the dots make it sound like...

I highly doubt it...I'd be surprised if they even knew that those are called umlauts...

I heard there was an Estonian vodka brand called the Türi vodka. It's named after an Estonian town and it's not sold in Estonia but is produced exclusively for export only. I understood that the vodka was rather expensive and sold very well thanks to the exotic dots on the U. By the way, U and Ü are completely different letters with a completely different pronunciation : )
10.01.2012 - 01:58
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Ernis on 10.01.2012 at 01:42

I heard there was an Estonian vodka brand called the Türi vodka. It's named after an Estonian town and it's not sold in Estonia but is produced exclusively for export only. I understood that the vodka was rather expensive and sold very well thanks to the exotic dots on the U. By the way, U and Ü are completely different letters with a completely different pronunciation : )

Hahaha. Estonian vodka: (insert cost of Türi), Shot glasses: $5, Buying vodka just because it has "exotic dotted u's": Priceless...
----

10.01.2012 - 02:16
Ernis
狼獾
Written by psykometal on 10.01.2012 at 01:58

Hahaha. Estonian vodka: (insert cost of Türi), Shot glasses: $5, Buying vodka just because it has "exotic dotted u's": Priceless...

I read from an article they sell it to the Americans with a price of 30 bucks a bottle... priceless indeed...

I wonder if Mena Suvari were more famous if she actually had used her name's original spelling Miina Süvari instead.

Or the Aussie actress Anna Tõrv... diacritics can be a potential breakthrough...
10.01.2012 - 02:22
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Quote:
Written by Ernis on 10.01.2012 at 02:16

I read from an article they sell it to the Americans with a price of 30 bucks a bottle... priceless indeed...

I wonder if Mena Suvari were more famous if she actually had used her name's original spelling Miina Süvari instead.

Or the Aussie actress Anna Tõrv... diacritics can be a potential breakthrough...

Yea, unfortunately a lot of my fellow countrymen have a tendency to be rather st00pid and buy things for very st00pid reasons...and then turn around snub their nose at the idea of learning even a little about other cultures...
----

10.01.2012 - 11:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by psykometal on 10.01.2012 at 01:31

Quote:

well in Dutch we have ij as in the Duch word rijk meaning reich which is pronounced as the ei in Reich and looks a lot like ÿ
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.01.2012 - 18:47
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.01.2012 at 11:50

well in Dutch we have ij as in the Duch word rijk meaning reich which is pronounced as the ei in Reich and looks a lot like ÿ

Well now that's interesting, never seen that one before. Of course though all the languages I have looked into and studied a little bit are mostly the Germanic languages: German, Swedish, Norwegian, Austrian and Danish. I also took some French and Spanish in high school but I don't speak any of these different languages with any form of fluency but I can pick up words here and there both listening and reading.
----

10.01.2012 - 19:32
RiouxMax
Written by Aristarchos on 04.01.2012 at 21:07

Paysage d'Hiver?

It's actually pronounced:

Pay-ee-zaj d-ee-ver

The "a" is pronounced as in "bat"
11.01.2012 - 11:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by psykometal on 10.01.2012 at 18:47

Well now that's interesting, never seen that one before. Of course though all the languages I have looked into and studied a little bit are mostly the Germanic languages: German, Swedish, Norwegian, Austrian and Danish.

Dutch is as germanic a language as Germanic languages get, more Germanic than English
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.01.2012 - 15:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.01.2012 at 11:09

Well now that's interesting, never seen that one before. Of course though all the languages I have looked into and studied a little bit are mostly the Germanic languages: German, Swedish, Norwegian, Austrian and Danish.

Dutch is as germanic a language as Germanic languages get, more Germanic than English

English is more ''away'' from, germanic languadges how dutch, deutch, svenska, norska, denske .... seems being in isolation in islands they make own way
But seems they has more easyer grammer how Ger and Sve has
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.01.2012 - 15:42
Tormentor666
Written by Bad English on 11.01.2012 at 15:26

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.01.2012 at 11:09

English is more ''away'' from, germanic languadges how dutch, deutch, svenska, norska, denske .... seems being in isolation in islands they make own way
But seems they has more easyer grammer how Ger and Sve has

No, they were not isolated to do their own way, all the contrary. English is what it is today, in opposition to other Germanic languages, because Britain has been raid by many other peoples, among which you can find Vikings, but also Romans and, most important, the Normans, who settled French as the official language in England after their conquest in 1066, and that is partly why English is so close in some of its features to most Latin languages, such as vocabulary (maaaany words borrowed from French, surely more than you ever imagined) and some grammatical characteristics aswell.
----
WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
29.06.2012 - 15:54
Aristarchos
Jex Thoth?
07.02.2013 - 17:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 09.01.2012 at 20:29

The truth is out here (just watch the beginnings):

__________________________ Dimmu Borgir

Dimmu -- Borgir whit long i more ii eagles, its pretty hard if you're not scandina and are not fammiliar whit ghey grammer and lanuadge
if there be dimu it would be diimu but well i cante xplain this grammer and pronaucsations , you need to be scandinav
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.12.2013 - 17:06
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Chthonic.

I think it'll go like this "She-tonic". Lol.

Sorry.

I go like this.