Style: Sludge metal
Release date: January 2015

01. Scratching The Coffin
02. When The Raven
03. Horrible Procession
04. Grave Desecrated
05. Cry Of The Damned
06. Dead

So Tort are back. When last we left them they were being interviewed by Pim from Officium Triste for Lords Of Metal and offered this nugget:

"We hope the album will be appreciated by most people. Others can get fucked by Matt Pike riding a mammoth."

I made it a staff pick of mine, which means two things:

1. I was not in danger of being sexually assaulted by the shirtless axe slinger on an extinct mammal.
2. I was really looking forward to the release of their sophomore album.

Speaking of "2", well, they've unleashed II. And we'll just say I'm still not worried about Matt Pike shoving his Frost Hammer where his Frost Hammer ought not to be.

Tort still play a dirty miasma of all things metal unpleasant. They combine the despair of extreme doom with the grit and grime of sludge, and toss in some crunchy thrash riffs. Vocals shift between death metal growls and black metal rasps. So, in deference to their Spanish heritage, the end product is a paella of misery.

They don't fuck around too much. Songs go between slow or mid-paced, glacial grinds giving way to horn-tossing thrash riffs. As with any good thrash, the riffs are switched up at regular intervals so as to keep it fresh and exciting. Occasionally they open the throttle and pound out a few punishing bars - while being shrieked and growled at - before laying off the velocitator and grinding it out. I think I heard a spastic solo in there somewhere. Lasted seven seconds or so before being dragged back down into the Tort tar pit. The production is ugly and far from polished - making it near perfect for the tunes vomited forth.

Oh, and what would a Tort album be without a bunch of soundbite song intros from cheesy 70's z-grade horror schlock invoking Satam? Most are in Español, but they tossed in some English clips as well. Once or twice these might go on too long, but, let's be honest, they are amusing enough it doesn't matter.

So yeah, I dig it. Hope you do too? else you'll be cringing and soiling yourself every time you hear "Fury whip." Better yet, blare it real loud and have your least favorite neighbors deal with getting Piked.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written on 16.01.2015 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 128 users
16.01.2015 - 07:34
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Isn't that supposed to mean invoking....Satan?( or something going over my head)

Well, I'm certainly not one of them who will get a fierce BJ from Mr Pike. II is spectacular release with dirty hooks pounded me when every song came along.

Not going too far but it could be a strong contender in MS awards next year.
16.01.2015 - 07:42
Rating: 8
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 16.01.2015 at 07:34

Isn't that supposed to mean invoking....Satan?( or something going over my head)

Satam is a longstanding internal joke, a reference to a past April Fools Day where Ivan went off to farm metal cows and turned the site over to K7/Bad English. a coding tweak he made had a bunch of words automatically spell incorrectly, including Satan-> Satam. For 24 hours the site read like a K7 post... it was brutal.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
16.01.2015 - 09:13
Daniell
_爱情_
Fun fact: "tort" means "birthday cake" in Polish.
16.01.2015 - 09:58
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Haha, that is fun. Good work, Ivan.
16.01.2015 - 13:39
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Man, I really look forward to your reviews, whenever you say something is good, it's usually top notch, and the humor is great
Doom/thrash fusions are something that I think are pretty hit or miss, so I'll be checking this one out to see.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
16.01.2015 - 18:32
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Paella of misery! Hhahahaha I loved the way that sounds. Their debut was great and by the looks of it I'll be expecting a good follow up. Thanks for the entertaining review!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
16.01.2015 - 19:41
Lit.
Account deleted
Quote:

Matt Pike riding a mammoth.

I would pay good money for this to be the next High On Fire cover art.
16.01.2015 - 22:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Love your plug of Lords Of Metal
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.01.2015 - 01:06
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Before I go on an internet search mission to hear this shit, would I dig this Craig?
----
rekt
17.01.2015 - 01:10
Zap
Written by tea[m]ster on 17.01.2015 at 01:06

Before I go on an internet search mission to hear this shit, would I dig this Craig?

No need to search when it's on Bandcamp.
17.01.2015 - 01:37
Rating: 8
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by tea[m]ster on 17.01.2015 at 01:06

Most likely not, it's a mix of many things but none of it post.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.01.2015 - 04:32
Ruinous

I'm diggin this.
The samples could be shorter but the mix of riff and vocal styles seems to work well, while still keeping the sludge feel
28.02.2015 - 19:29
Susan
Smeghead
I knew I was in the moment the opening track went from slooooow to kicked up into gear. Successfully combining the two takes skillz.

Hail Satam. And such.

Perhaps one of my new favorite Craig reviews. Just HI-LARIOUS while still being a completely accurate and astute picture of the music.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs

Hits total: 3626 | This month: 8