03. Submission Fails
04. Sounds Of Yesterday
05. Paint Your World
06. Face My Dark
07. Sworn To Be
08. Bloodbath Legacy
09. Fearless
10. Hold My Crown

Ah, the golden days of thrash. Back in the 80's, when the beer flowed like wine, and masterpieces of the genre instinctively flocked to the eardrums of listeners like the salmon of Capistrano. No Return is a French thrash band who got things going right as those glorious times were about to begin their hibernation...

Of course, being not born and all, I don't remember what the golden age was like. Despite that, I think it's safe to say No Return wasn't a household name and isn't now. Yet they have still cranked out 9 albums since 1990, and are now on to number 10, Fearless Walk To Rise.

So, what's a good old thrash band (with a tinge of death metal in their sound, mostly vocals) to do in 2015? Here, it's a mix of tried and true methods and keeping up with the times. The production is very modern, with clarity in the guitar tone and highly audible/emphasized double bass which has become the standard these days. Honestly, it's hard to knock No Return for having this album produced in the way a myriad of other groups do nowadays, but some of the good old fashioned Nuclear Assault or Dark Angel-style dirt would definitely not have been a bad thing.

Regardless, the tried and true methods I spoke of earlier hold this album together nicely. The riffs come fast and change up aplenty, and there is even a little more melody than usual for a thrash album to keep things interesting. The energy holds up throughout the album, despite never quite going off the chain the way a wumbo* album like Reign In Blood did. Luckily, what saves a thrash album any time things don't go off the chain like that is sound songwriting and album structure. This album is full of awesome riffs, and as a whole it's not too long, leaving little chance for boredom to set in. Fearless Walk To Rise is just a good album all-around. More dirt in the production would be nice as mentioned, and it lacks the unforgettable, special moments that make certain albums stand out among the pack, but it is fun stuff nonetheless.

* -You don't think that's a real word? The field of Wumbology says otherwise.

Written by Mattybu | 22.01.2015

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 122 users
23.01.2015 - 07:18
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
No Return, okay. I heard their "Contamination Rises" and "Machinery" and I think both were good releases. What this band reminds me of horrible artworks they've in catalogue. Not even one cover art from France thrashers is decent. Anyway, your review has given me impression of release which I have listened it from No Return before.

Anyway, will check this out.
23.01.2015 - 07:54
Mattybu
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 23.01.2015 at 07:18

What this band reminds me of horrible artworks they've in catalogue.

I was actually thinking about that, I didn't mention it in the review because I didn't feel like there was any place where it would be relevant but the artwork of this one is fugly. Another way in which they've followed a modern trend I guess, there's a lot of similarly bad stuff like it these days.
23.01.2015 - 10:26
Gothmog_Motsham
Is...is that Sauron on the cover art?
23.01.2015 - 19:55
theFIST
If the production is similar as on their previous i won"t like it
thrash sounding that clean just kills it
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:

Hits total: 4118 | This month: 21