The Best Doom Metal Album Of 2015
Top 20 albums of 2015: 14

Additional info
Recorded at Orgone Studios.
Producer - Jaimie Gomez Arellano.

Staff review by
Windrider
Rating:
You know an album is good when you can experience a moment of ?wow" in almost every song. You know an album is great when you experience this even after multiple listens. Paradise Lost managed to craft such an album (once again) and named it The Plague Within. You all know this band, they play in the highest league of doom and gothic metal and the only question remaining from year to year is if they can take the cake in their genre. In fact, they're like one of those big football (European here) teams where it's only about which of the first few places they will be in by the end of the season.

Read more ››
published 04.09.2015 | Comments (10)

Found in 66 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 67   Visited by: 1677 users
02.06.2015 - 18:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Flesh From Bone with its BLACK metal (pure black metal riffing going on there) is the strongest song on the album for me. Just love it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.06.2015 - 23:33
Satyr73

Written by Guest on 02.06.2015 at 18:45

Review based on spotify stream. I'll get the cd soon enough.

Great album but not sooooo great either. Yes they're heavier, the harsh vocals are back, the pop stuff of previous albums is pretty much gone, but lets be fair: this is no "classic". Its a nice return to old school gothic/doom/death metal, with good moments throughout the album, but i doubt i'll be listening to this thing 6 months from now.

Good moments: Terminal, An Eternity Of Lies: nice catchy tunes with great melodic "old sounding" guitars.

Meh moments: Punishment Through Time (the shredding here is cool), Sacrifice the Flame (nice mood) and Victim Of The Past (PL typical Type 0 Negative song in the beggining, gets dull after): forgettable but enjoyable songs.

Songs i would glady leave out: Flesh From Bone (the fast death metal part sounds roughed in) and Cry Out (solos are nice but this sounds off from the rest of the album): boring almost filler tunes.

Brilliant stuff: No Hope In Sight (this one should open their live shows), heavy guitars meet stunning Nick's performance,with catchy melancholic atmosphere (Return to the Sun) and the doom apocalyptic rendez-vous (Beneath Broken Earth).

7/10 for me. (yes i'm pretty miser about grades)

friend,
if you're so picky and analytical Can you enlighten what is your favorite album of PL
03.06.2015 - 01:04
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
Written by Satyr73 on 02.06.2015 at 23:33

Written by Guest on 02.06.2015 at 18:45

Review based on spotify stream. I'll get the cd soon enough.

Great album but not sooooo great either. Yes they're heavier, the harsh vocals are back, the pop stuff of previous albums is pretty much gone, but lets be fair: this is no "classic". Its a nice return to old school gothic/doom/death metal, with good moments throughout the album, but i doubt i'll be listening to this thing 6 months from now.

Good moments: Terminal, An Eternity Of Lies: nice catchy tunes with great melodic "old sounding" guitars.

Meh moments: Punishment Through Time (the shredding here is cool), Sacrifice the Flame (nice mood) and Victim Of The Past (PL typical Type 0 Negative song in the beggining, gets dull after): forgettable but enjoyable songs.

Songs i would glady leave out: Flesh From Bone (the fast death metal part sounds roughed in) and Cry Out (solos are nice but this sounds off from the rest of the album): boring almost filler tunes.

Brilliant stuff: No Hope In Sight (this one should open their live shows), heavy guitars meet stunning Nick's performance,with catchy melancholic atmosphere (Return to the Sun) and the doom apocalyptic rendez-vous (Beneath Broken Earth).

7/10 for me. (yes i'm pretty miser about grades)

friend,
if you're so picky and analytical Can you enlighten what is your favorite album of PL

It has nothing to do what being picky... it's just my opinion. Good think its analytical, it means i actually listened the details and bothered to write plenty about it!

Tough one. I love Gothic and Draconian Times of course. But Tragic Idol and FD-DU also have special place in my heart.
And since you're so interested here's my "ranking" of albums.

Gothic
Tragic Idol
Draconian Times
Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us
In Requiem
Shades of God
Icon
Lost Paradise
One Second
Symbol of Life
Paradise Lost
Host
Believe in Nothing

This new one it's still early to say, but might perhaps be between Shades and Icon.

To the guy above: i listened again. Still think Flesh From Bone is a death metal song. Not black metal.
03.06.2015 - 03:09
Joe Zombie

I agree with Marcel. Definitely some black metal.
03.06.2015 - 03:44
Rating: 8
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Really solid release! Nick's growls sound awesome here and the music is just as good as always. Some of my favorites are "Flesh From Bone", "Beneath Buried Earth", "Victim of the Past", "Sacrifice The Flame", and "Return to the Sun."
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
03.06.2015 - 03:47
Rating: 9
God Alone

The more I listen to it the more I think it's one of their best albums. It's very varied (especially compared to the dull Tragic Idol), it's also rough and sinister yet mantains the typical PL catchiness. Holy fuck yes. It might end up as a 9/10.
03.06.2015 - 09:45
DevilishSong

The whole album kinda remind me of "Day of Nothing" by The Foreshadowing , not just musically but the way i communicate with it . the diversification through the album is the key element that makes The Plague Withing alive!
04.06.2015 - 11:23
Eccer

They key component to this album, is my butt.
13.06.2015 - 02:03
Rating: 6
kingeryck

Eh. The death metal vocals really do nothing for me. Bores me. Keep that with Vallynfyre or something. I was afraid they'd go this route since their last two albums were heavier and heavier and we all know that's what sells records a lot of times. Those were good. He's got a great clean voice and I'd rather hear that. I can pull up any of 100,000 bands doing cookie monster vocals and they all sound the same.
13.06.2015 - 11:25
slim pickings
Account deleted
^ finally a negative comment which I agree with and I would be even harsher.
Holmes' growls ruined the whole thing for me.
If there was an album that disappointed me this year, this is it.
18.06.2015 - 06:06
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
What a great album, finally something that shows they deserve Al the praise they get, I like the fact that this album has almost zero gothic elements in it.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
26.06.2015 - 04:07
Rating: 7
Kuroboshi

'Twas really good. Many hits, but unfortunately a few tracks that feel like fillers, a bit lazy. I like the new direction though.
06.07.2015 - 13:34
Cobrica40

Written by kingeryck on 13.06.2015 at 02:03

I was afraid they'd go this route since their last two albums were heavier and heavier and we all know that's what sells records a lot of times. Those were good. He's got a great clean voice and I'd rather hear that.

I agree with your opinion, too. Sometimes i wonder how this album would sound with Nick's great clean voice (for example, Draconian times voice) I think it would be excellent...
Neverthless, very good album
10.07.2015 - 08:49
Rating: 10
Fedor

Without any question, one of the best PL albums, very strong voice and very cool atmosphere, every song a jewel
23.08.2015 - 09:28
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Damn this is good. Love every song. Surprise of 2015 for me.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
17.09.2015 - 13:46
Constantine
Account deleted
Excellent.
17.09.2015 - 15:24
God Alone

...Seven 1s? Does this album stink so much?
17.09.2015 - 15:30
slim pickings
Account deleted
Written by God Alone on 17.09.2015 at 15:24

...Seven 1s? Does this album stink so much?

oh well...
I did not like the album but still I would not rate it a 1, that's vote abuse for you.
17.09.2015 - 21:52
Rating: 10
NicicumCumva

This and under the red cloud by amorphis are the best metal albums of this decade. only phantom anticrist by kreator stands up with this monsters
25.09.2015 - 22:27
MelancholiaC

At first I rated this album at an 8, then with several listens it's turned into a 9, now I'm edging towards a 10! That should be an indication of how much this opus only gets better with time.
19.10.2015 - 23:25
Ap46

Even though it's far from being the best album of the decade as stated above, Paradise Lost has managed to release an amazing album. Me likes it
12.11.2015 - 00:07
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
I liked this one more than tragic idol, though both are far away from In Requiem and Faith... which were amazing... Victim Of The Past is one of the best songs the band has ever wrote... epic!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
17.01.2016 - 22:55
Himedal

And they're finally back on the track.
----
What goes by is life to be taken
The doom calls upon the forsaken
21.03.2016 - 17:32
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Beneath Broken Earth is a good track but the rest of this is just average commercial goth.
21.03.2016 - 17:49
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Guest on 21.03.2016 at 17:32

Beneath Broken Earth is a good track but the rest of this is just average commercial goth.

As opposed to non-commercial goth?
21.03.2016 - 18:05
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 21.03.2016 at 17:49

Written by Guest on 21.03.2016 at 17:32

As opposed to non-commercial goth?

No, more like its commercial. And it is average goth. Just the typical reflections that everyone does listening to it. But I am pretty sure every style has some bands trying to do interesting stuff, this was that in the early 90s.
21.03.2016 - 20:18
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Guest on 21.03.2016 at 18:05

No, more like its commercial.

I was actually referring to music being commercial. Because all music is commercial. If it wasn't, bands wouldn't try to sell it to us, they would give their music away for free.

Back to the topic - I think this album is almost as good as Paradise Lost's 90's albums.
21.06.2016 - 03:16
Rating: 2
Dean0495

Not liking their last albums. They feel less melodic. I just can't get into the death/doom vibe they have going on lately. No keys or strings, no clean vocals. I gave them a chance, listened to this album few times, in hope to like it, but now I just can't do it anymore. "Symbol Of Life" is their best album in my opinion.
03.02.2017 - 00:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dean0495 on 21.06.2016 at 03:16

Not liking their last albums. They feel less melodic. I just can't get into the death/doom vibe they have going on lately. No keys or strings, no clean vocals. I gave them a chance, listened to this album few times, in hope to like it, but now I just can't do it anymore. "Symbol Of Life" is their best album in my opinion.

Clean singing well I agree, but its old school, they started like that , basically back to roots when sounding same don't fails
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.02.2018 - 22:46
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Beneath Broken Earth is the best modern PL song.

You wish to DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.

Hits total: 36701 | This month: 53