04. The Scales Of Justice
05. Cursed
06. Forfeit I: The Crooked Quill
07. Forfeit II: Worn Thin
08. The Tree Of New Life
09. Carcass
10. Testament
11. In Tongues

Your OSDM dealer is in the neighbourhood, come get your fix!

But by OSDM, I mean Old School Deathcore Metal. Yes I totally made that up and yes I totally tricked you into opening a review for a deathcore album. Does it make it better if I say that it's deathcore for folks who don't like deathcore? Yes it does, you stayed.

In Tongues is these guys' first stab at a full-length, and it doesn't even feel like a début. Dark Sermon are the kind of people who like to dip their biscuits in tea and stuff. I personally hate that, but when the biscuit is made of rather classic early '00s Swedish inspired DM, who am I to disagree when it's dipped in a cup of dirty deathcore? Fortunately for you, deathcorophobe idiots friends, Dark Sermon don't achieve brutality by torturing their instruments, breaking the song structures unnecessarily or ridiculously down-tuning their guitars. Instead the guitar tones are clear and high, both melodic and technical solos appear here and there to confuse the kvltkid, and the tempo drops are well placed.

The blending of the two genres is so complete you'd imagine the biscuit would be saggy by now. You'd be wrong, as even with such a mix of techniques, In Tongues remains crunchy, tasty, and most importantly homogeneous. It remains thus, despite having a couple surprising moments - which I wouldn't want to describe so as not to spoil the fun - that just make you go "oh" and break the monotony. However, I could push my analysis a bit further and mention a few minor negative points, but the overall result, the genuine energy that transpires, and the fresh take on two stagnating styles are enough to make me want to concentrate on the positive side of the cookie.

Dark Sermon are releasing a new album in 2015, and I wanted you to have this review as a little amuse-bouche. Have a free sample, your trve internet cred isn't at risk:

---
Damn I said deathcore a lot.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Ilham | 05.02.2015

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 53 users
05.02.2015 - 21:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
That track is pretty damn tasty tbh. Then again, I have no problem with deathcore.
Thanks for the heads ups.... So, it's the usual amount, right? Because I just have enough cash on me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
05.02.2015 - 21:40
Rating: 8
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by X-Ray Rod on 05.02.2015 at 21:08

That track is pretty damn tasty tbh. Then again, I have no problem with deathcore.
Thanks for the heads ups.... So, it's the usual amount, right? Because I just have enough cash on me.

You still owe me from last time. Did the post-hardcore get to your brain or something? Stop shooting the shit I give you for free in one go, don't OD on me man.
But yeah I'll be reviewing these guys when they finally release the second album this year, you'll be notified.
05.02.2015 - 21:47
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Ilham on 05.02.2015 at 21:40
But yeah I'll be reviewing these guys when they finally release the second album this year, you'll be notified.

I totally thought it was a 2015 release until I read your post and checked the date. D'oh!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
05.02.2015 - 22:21
Joe Zombie

Thanks for the review. I've been following this band since their conception. One of my favorite albums of 2013 that I still revisit fairly often. Definitely above-average deathcore.
05.02.2015 - 22:26
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Joe Zombie on 05.02.2015 at 22:21

Thanks for the review. I've been following this band since their conception. One of my favorite albums of 2013 that I still revisit fairly often. Definitely above-average deathcore.

Yeah I noticed you already were listed as a fan when I asked for the addition of the band for the future reviews. My pleasure. Merit goes to Bence (Uldreth) who showed me this one, and I got hooked right after the first listen. It's one of my most played albums of last month, and I am fairly certain the sophomore will at least be a pleasant listen.
06.02.2015 - 02:23
Joe Zombie

Written by Ilham on 05.02.2015 at 22:26

Written by Joe Zombie on 05.02.2015 at 22:21

Yeah I noticed you already were listed as a fan when I asked for the addition of the band for the future reviews. My pleasure. Merit goes to Bence (Uldreth) who showed me this one, and I got hooked right after the first listen. It's one of my most played albums of last month, and I am fairly certain the sophomore will at least be a pleasant listen.

They put out a single (presumably off their next album) a while ago called Starve if you haven't heard it yet. Good stuff. If its any indication then I believe their new material will be even better than the debut.
06.02.2015 - 03:11
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Joe Zombie on 06.02.2015 at 02:23

They put out a single (presumably off their next album) a while ago called Starve if you haven't heard it yet. Good stuff. If its any indication then I believe their new material will be even better than the debut.

Oh no I hadn't! Holy crap that sounds heavy and more deathcore oriented, I'm pretty sure they shared this one to make a first big statement. I just hope we'll find the same variation and dm leanings as in In Tongues though. Anyway, too early to judge. Thanks for that info .
07.02.2015 - 12:42
Uldreth

Nice review, am glad my recs are workin' out .

Hits total: 1609 | This month: 3