05. Imprint
06. Colorblind
07. Rebirth Of Tragedy
08. Locust Of The Dead Earth
09. Up In You
10. Clone
11. Jada Bloom
12. Soulcraft [Bad Brains cover] [Japanese bonus]

Yours truly doesn't know much about 1990s metallic hardcore coming out of the East Coast of the USA. It was never popular in Oz and to be honest I've not really ever explored it, save occasional unsuccessful dalliances with Converge and Hatebreed. But whilst I don't know about metallic hardcore, I do know that I really like Vision Of Disorder's 1998 bruiser, Imprint.

Imprint is that rare breed of album that combines aggressive and brutal delivery with excellent and extremely memorable song writing. Highlights include "Twelves Steps To Nothing," "By The River," "Colorblind," "Rebirth of Tragedy" and "Jada Bloom," but the other six tracks are enjoyable in their own right.

Vocals alternate between hardcore screams, shouts and clean vocals ala those used by later metalcore bands such as Killswitch Engage. Difference between Vision Of Disorder and later bands is that the clean vocals still have a rawness about them. They're not pretty but they work really well. And the band doesn't bother with standard heavy verse, clean chorus structures either. They mix it up and go on all manner of interesting tangents. Oh and yes those are a certain Philip H. Anselmo's meaty vocals and demented spoken words on "By The River".

According to the flawed bible that is Wikipedia, the band was never happy with the raw sound of the album. Yet the rawness of the sound makes this an even more pummelling affair. The vibe is almost that of a live album. It perfectly captures the intensity of sweaty, chaotic, mosh pits complete with getting kicked in the head by crowd surfers and necks moving in unnatural ways. It hurts but it's the kind of hurt you want out of extreme music.

The only part where the production hampers things is that some of the guitar effects and licks get lost in the mix. However the riffs are the main thing and they're loud and in your face as they should be. And there aren't any clichés here either. Even the occasional breakdowns have a life of their own. It still sounds fresh seventeen years after release.

Indeed this is the direction metalcore should've taken instead of fusing with the already overused At The Gates or In Flames archetypes. It's melodic, catchy and at times haunting, yet at the same time abrasive, brutal and aggressive. And instead of being covered in clean sheen, it's still gritty, organic and firmly based in hardcore's anti-mainstream roots.

So if you have to like just one metallic hardcore album, then Vision Of Disorder's Imprint is a great choice. And maybe listening to it again after all these years might just get me motivated to check out of the rest of the genre's offerings.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 7

Written by deadone | 09.02.2015

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 36 users
10.02.2015 - 13:36
Rating: 8
Ilham
Giant robot
That was an interesting read, thanks. I'll listen to it today.
11.02.2015 - 15:02
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by deadone on 10.02.2015 at 14:34

I hope you like it. I kinda put myself on the line with this one with the score! But I really like it. Great stuff.

Hehe, no problem with the score, it's one of your long time favourites. This is really good. It has a big grunge vibe that I like. I agree that the production is a bit too muddy, the bass drum is hardly audible in some parts, but otherwise it fits the feel of the album perfectly. I think the comparison with Killswitch Engage is confusing though. People indeed confuse gothenburg-inspired melodic metalcore with the whole genre, "metalcore" used to mean just was it says "metallic hardcore" - which these guys play. It's just the denomination of the genre that changed, other bands kept playing "the original" metalcore.
12.02.2015 - 00:35
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by deadone on 12.02.2015 at 00:24

True. I find it confusing myself.

I knew you knew because you basically said it in that introduction of yours about Converge and Hatebreed.
Anyway. Heard Coalesce? I haven't revisited any of their albums in a while, but from what I remember they're not too far from what these guys do. You might like it, the early stuff at least, I haven't tried any of the newer ones.
12.02.2015 - 01:10
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by deadone on 12.02.2015 at 00:50

It's still confusing especially as at which point metalcore becomes melodic death metal or groove metal.

I'll check [Coalsce] out.
I'm in a real mood to go off on tangents, especially after last year being so dismal for conventional metal and this years starting off just as badly (new Blind Guardian - yuck!),

Yep, and the bands that are on the fence are often dissed because of their slight -core leanings albeit being 80% metal. Ah well.

Yeah that's more or less what happened to me last year. I just had to try new things, and it kept clicking with me until I got addicted. It's great to be surprised by seeing your own taste in music change. Go on now, spread your wings and fly, I'll blow some air up... no I shouldn't finish this sentence. I encourage you - sounds better.
12.02.2015 - 01:18
Uldreth

Written by deadone on 12.02.2015 at 00:50

I'm in a real mood to go off on tangents, especially after last year being so dismal for conventional metal and this years starting off just as badly (new Blind Guardian - yuck!),

If you are interested in checking out so-called "melodic metalcore" that is influenced by melodeath but is actually raw, check out Prayer For Cleansing, Undying, Endthisday, Rifles At Recess and The Black Dahlia Murder's first demo.

Hits total: 2573 | This month: 15