05. Undone
06. Blasted
07. No Servants
08. Believe It
09. Barrier Hammer
10. Restarter
11. Harmonslaught [bonus]
12. Rock 'N' Roll Mantasy [bonus]

I'd really like to share a cup of coffee with the lads from Torche. Actually, I'd really like to share a coffee plantation with them. Yes, an entire plantation.

With Restarter, the band have, uh, restartered, following 2012's gaily covered Harmonicraft.

And, sadly, that's what's missing from Restarter. Gaiety. And the energy buzz you can only get from consuming acres of java.

Their latest is a good release, don't get me wrong. They construct some good songs, have some cool riffs and everything sounds good. It sounds like a continuation of their last release, the (for them) long songs are refined and better than those on their predecessor. But there are none of the madcap, bounce-off-the-walls tracks like "Walk It Off" or "Hideaway" that never fail to put a smile on your face and an extra spring in your step.

Sure, "Loose Men" hits third gear, but the vast majority of the album feels like it's stuck in first or second. Like I said, good songs, good riffs, but Restarter could definitely benefit from a shot in the arm. I don't mind them exploring mid-paced jams, but a Torche album without a "Speed Of The Nail" or "Kiss Me Dudely" is like a Ramones album without a "Judy Is A Punk." The album feels like renting a Porsche 911 Turbo for the weekend, then just slogging it out in city traffic, rather than letting loose, hitting the autobahn and opening it the fuck up.

It just seems to be lacking in some of the fun.

And in a genre where most bands are serious business, that's what makes Torche so magical.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written on 10.02.2015 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 141 users
10.02.2015 - 16:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
At times this album sounds a lot like a heavier Jane's Addiction.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.02.2015 - 19:40
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
But I love how heavy this album sounds.

I've only heard the 3 tracks online so far.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
12.02.2015 - 00:34
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Spirit Molecule on 10.02.2015 at 19:40

But I love how heavy this album sounds.

I've only heard the 3 tracks online so far.

It is heavy, and the production helps reinforce the sound. good album, i enjoyed it. just would have a lot more with a zinger or two.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
12.02.2015 - 10:20
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by BitterCOld on 12.02.2015 at 00:34

It is heavy, and the production helps reinforce the sound. good album, i enjoyed it. just would have a lot more with a zinger or two.

Need to pick up the album soon. I need to find someone coming down from the US, I want that reversible tee

I've just been playing this and listening to the album, it's so much fun
http://www.torchevsrobots.com/
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
12.02.2015 - 20:40
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Good album. Not impressive as Harmonicraft & Songs For Singles. Sadly, "Believe It" was a lone gem that really shook album a little bit but couldn't deliver it cent percent.
14.02.2015 - 05:48
Susan
Smeghead
Now I have Judy Is A Punk stuck in my head.

I'm excited to hear this album but at the same time I'm procrastinating. I want it to be Songs For Singles-awesome but have a bad feeling it won't be. Schrodinger's cat. If I don't listen to the album, it's neither disappointing nor awesome
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
14.02.2015 - 20:34
Joe Zombie

Markedly heavier than their past works, but lacking in the melodies and sludge-pop goodness the band is known for. Solid album regardless, if not a tad bland.
24.02.2015 - 05:26
Rating: 9
SludgeBeard

Loved what I've heard of this so far. I appreciate Torche's "lighter" approach to sludge, but it's always been a tiny bit *too* light to hit that strange sweet spot for me. The consensus that this release is a little heavier all around makes me super excited. Definitely a day one buy for me.
04.03.2015 - 01:35
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Susan on 14.02.2015 at 05:48

Now I have Judy Is A Punk stuck in my head.

I'm excited to hear this album but at the same time I'm procrastinating. I want it to be Songs For Singles-awesome but have a bad feeling it won't be. Schrodinger's cat. If I don't listen to the album, it's neither disappointing nor awesome

So Suzy Is A Headbanger, have you dared open the box to check on the cat yet?
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!

Hits total: 3447 | This month: 8