03. Dark Divinity
04. The Grand Design
05. Necropolis
06. Universal Core
07. Introspection
08. Epistemology
09. Anima Bundi [feat. Attila Csihar] [bonus]
10. Novae Ruptis [bonus]

Everyone's favorite EuroVision contestants are back for the first time in nearly five years with Epistemology, playing more of that epic extreme metal or whatever it is they do so, uh, doingly.

Ok, so "doingly" might not be a real word. I made it up as it seemed to best hit the point I was trying to make. They set about crafting extreme metal songs in a manner that was industrious, but which absolutely failed to connect with me and inspire any type of emotional reaction.

On one hand, Keep Of Kalessin are really skilled and accomplished musicians. I wish I had 10% their talent. They write some great riffs, have some face-melting soli, and have serious chops.

On the other the release is just awash with (irony alert: ) shortcomings and flaws.

This is the first release without Thebon (Thelob? Shelob?) on vocals, leaving the work to Mister Claw. OC/KOK mix in a couple approaches - clean, rasped, and narrated. The rasped vocals have an Ihsahn quality to them and fit well. They do the job. The clean vocals just annoy me. I'm not a huge fan of narrators in metal albums, but at least this is executed better than, say, the dude with a mild speech impediment in Rhapsody Of Fire's "Heroes Of The Lost Valley".

The drummer sounds like a beast behind the kit, but the drums just sound weaksauce. A total lack of force behind them, even though I can imagine him battering the kit in the studio. I would love to hear what it would have sounded like if they'd used Dave Lombardo's set up when recording "War Ensemble".

The songwriting would also drastically benefit from some editing. For starters, while there are some great riffs and soli, there are no great songs. "Dark Divinity" and "The Grand Design" show some promise. Then the clean chorus kicks in? and momentum just dissipates.

A problem exacerbated by the fact five of the eight tracks exceed seven minutes in length, with two approaching a full 10 minutes each. This isn't doom metal peoples! It's extreme metal of some form or another. Get in. Blow shit up. Make your point. Get out.

For example, "Necropolis" uses a cool scale that gives it a different vibe from the rest of the album. I enjoyed it. For about 4-5 minutes. But it just keeps going. On. And on. And on. And on, despite the fact it just begs for a Ghost BT (BT for Bolt Thrower. Aren't I clever?) fade ou

I get their desire to make an epic track or two. Maybe close the album out with some epic song? which they do. But when five of seven (non-intro) songs drag on it's a bit much. Trim the rest down. Make your audience leave wanting more, not wishing the song/album were over already.

So ultimately this band has huge potential, which is what makes Epistemology so underwhelming. I expected better because (Pointing to a copy of Armada) I know these guys can do better.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 7
Production: 6

Written on 14.02.2015 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 21   Visited by: 278 users
14.02.2015 - 12:25
angelofbland

Very narrow minded review. You advise the band to write music your style.Who are you? The album is very good from all aspects and the end of Necropolis (which you criticize) is highly addictive.
14.02.2015 - 14:42
annodomini

Totally disagree. This is the first KoK album, that I really dig and adore.
----
the riddle wants to be...
14.02.2015 - 15:22
Deadsoulman

Dude, you absolutely need to learn how to write objective reviews. How dare you state a subjective opinion, especially on an album you enjoyed less than some people?

Anyway, I haven't been flabbergasted by a KoK album since Armada, and this one is no exception. There's not enough variation or interesting moments to warrant such lengthy songs.
14.02.2015 - 15:49
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
I have to say that this review is kinda innapropriate... as for the album, there are bits and pieces I enjoy and bits of pieces that I find uninspired, but it certainly is not that bad. One thing is horrendous though... the production.
14.02.2015 - 15:51
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Deadsoulman on 14.02.2015 at 15:22

Anyway, I haven't been flabbergasted by a KoK album since Armada, and this one is no exception. There's not enough variation or interesting moments to warrant such lengthy songs.

you filthy arse licker, how dare you even agree with the reviewer?

----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
14.02.2015 - 16:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 14.02.2015 at 15:49

I have to say that this review is kinda innapropriate...

How is the review inapropriate?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.02.2015 - 18:04
Rating: 6
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 14.02.2015 at 15:49

I have to say that this review is kinda innapropriate... as for the album, there are bits and pieces I enjoy and bits of pieces that I find uninspired, but it certainly is not that bad. One thing is horrendous though... the production.

how is it inappropriate. your opinion and mine seem mighty similar. there were bits I enjoyed - and acknowledged - there were a lot of bits i felt uninspired. 6.9 is not bad. it 0.1 ticks from "good". in MS land, 7 is good, 6 is average. 4 is bad.

and I couldn't call it "good", regardless as to how skilled the musicians are as it fails the one critical test. "When the album ends, do I wan to listen to it again?" The answer, from each of my first to 10th listens was, "no."
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
14.02.2015 - 18:41
MetalDoomMaster

Yeah, this album is incredibly underwhelming. Anyone that disagrees with the review should just write their own instead of whining.
14.02.2015 - 18:53
Vombatus
Potorro
Some riffs are very good, but that's about it. Typical album that falls into the "meh" category and is instantly forgotten.
The review is quite spot on, though I'd give a lower rating.
14.02.2015 - 20:24
Rating: 8
Daniell
_爱情_
There's quite a lot of good stuff going on on the album, but as a whole it's lacking focus and discipline. Definitely a step down.
14.02.2015 - 22:42
Rating: 8
gavrosaurus

Written by Daniell on 14.02.2015 at 20:24

lacking focus and discipline

Definitely!

All in all, I agree with BitterCOld, this band has a lot of potential (or HAD potential) but it is clear that something is missing ? Thebon.
Keep of Kalessin as a band needs another creative person, not just Obsidian C. and simply band lost its balance. Plain and simple.
A shame, because this was maybe the last great band of that mighty Nordic scene that gave us us so much joy over the past two decades.
15.02.2015 - 05:00
musclassia

A really well-written review that is far more 'appropriate' and not 'narrow-minded' than some of the first comments in response to it.
15.02.2015 - 07:51
Susan
Smeghead
Would the people above whine less if the rating was a 7? It's one motherfucking tenth of a point away. Everyone take a deep breath.

I agree with "doingly" and with the drums being weaksauce. I happen to really love the clean vocals, especially the creepy/folksy harmonies they sometimes create, but find they just clash so bitingly against the drums. Perhaps it's more production than performance, but I feel like during the first track I'm listening to two songs at once. Like, one songs with poorly recorded machine gun drums is playing on youtube in my browser while some really interesting folk metal is playing on itunes. Make it stop!!!

Well, it actually stopped. Things calmed down around the 5 minute mark. I suppose I'll continue listening...
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
15.02.2015 - 16:12
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Susan on 15.02.2015 at 07:51

Would the people above whine less if the rating was a 7? It's one motherfucking tenth of a point away. Everyone take a deep breath.

I agree with "doingly" and with the drums being weaksauce. Like, one songs with poorly recorded machine gun drums is playing on youtube in my browser while some really interesting folk metal is playing on itunes.

Well, it is MS, where to many a 7 is not just bad, but an insult to the artist (criticism I received on an earlier review... funny, as i scored another band a 7.2 and the guitarist who submitted the review responded by fb friending me) ... so anything sub 7 is like Lulu bad to a lot of peeps here.

the drums are horribly recorded. it's a travesty.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.02.2015 - 16:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by BitterCOld on 15.02.2015 at 16:12

funny, as i scored another band a 7.2 and the guitarist who submitted the review responded by fb friending me) ...

But that was an old geezer, who's even a year older than me.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.02.2015 - 17:33
Susan
Smeghead
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.02.2015 at 16:58

Written by BitterCOld on 15.02.2015 at 16:12

funny, as i scored another band a 7.2 and the guitarist who submitted the review responded by fb friending me) ...

But that was an old geezer, who's even a year older than me.

Older than YOU????!!?!?! I don't believe it. Not possible!!!

----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
16.02.2015 - 07:47
Litvin

Not agree. The album is much above 6.9 points.
OK I am gonna write my own.
16.02.2015 - 11:19
MikeVonDoom

Well basically Obsidian Claw sucks balls singing. Thebon's vocals are missing! The instrumental parts are good/enough as always.
16.02.2015 - 23:45
Karcas

Althought i think that this review could be more objective, i dont think that you can ever have a completely non subjective opinion about anything specially on art and again specially on music.
so i think you can never trust any review without experiencing the music yourself. but you can find someone who has a very similar taste to you, and chances are that your opinion about an object has alot in common. hence systems such as metacritics and rating system should be considered very unreliable. there is only one rating system which is the personal one.

and why should anyone who disagrees with the review write another one himself ?!?!? its like saying if you dont like this music go and make your own music !! you can absolutely express your opinion about anything, including someone elses opinion.

those are my thoughts on replies to this review. but about the review and the album;

i kinda agree with most of the stuff said on the review and i can feel where its coming from except the part about the length of the songs, in which i think the length has nothing to do with the genre.
the repetition and being boring are another matter tho.

im a huge hugeeee fan of keep of kalessin and i find this album underwhelming. i was really curious about the band after Thebon left. in fact i thought the band was done for as i have known them along time and had seen Thebon performance and his passion. i think he was the heart of the band and the guitarist aka new frontman was the brains sort of say. i listened to their ep before this, it was different but was fine, and it was only an EP.

but this album as i suspected lacks the spirit, it lacks the magic. it is Keep of Kalessin, you can tell that, but its like a empty shell of it. the title song Epistemology is somewhat good imo. also the last two songs which have real potential are very short ! which is sad for me. the thing that i was afraid of happened to them without Thebon.

for me this is a mediocore borderline bad album compared to their previous stuff and very forgettable, but its still much better than alot of recent releases that have a very positive light on them here.
17.02.2015 - 08:58
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Thoughts after a brief listen.

I'm somewhat in agreement with the review. Although I think I'll probably end up liking it more than the reviewer.

He really hit the nail on the head with this bit:
Quote:
The songwriting would also drastically benefit from some editing. For starters, while there are some great riffs and soli, there are no great songs.

That's the same way I felt about Reptilian, and I hear it even more with this release. Great individual parts, but the compositions are a bit aimless. To me it feels like with each release, Mr. Claw is taking the band in a more "epic" and progressive direction. That's fine, but something is really lost along the way. Yeah, Armada had it's fair share of 5 minute+ songs, but it didn't waste much time getting down to business in any track. Kolossus was similar, albeit a little less succinct and direct. This (and Reptilian to a smaller degree) feels like a lot of dicking around for the sake of making a "bigger" sound. If they tightened up song writing, they probably would have had 10, 5-minute songs that were awesome, instead of 8 or 9, 7-10 minute songs that are totally forgettable.

With Reptilian after the part of a song I like has played, I hit the "next track" button, without listen to the rest of the song. I'm getting the same vibes from this.

...As for the vocals - I miss T-Bone as much as the next guy, and agree that Claw's vocals aren't nearly as good (in fact - some of the clean vocals are kind of embarrassing), but vocals are one of the less noteworthy faults with this album.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
18.02.2015 - 03:47
Rating: 5
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
How DARE someone have a different opinion than the collective. Call the thought police, this guy's gone rogue!

EDIT: Listened to the album now. If anything, this review is too kind.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.

Hits total: 7301 | This month: 9