Metal Storm logo
Metal Storms Genre Experts

20.02.2007 - 21:45
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
As this site seems to be growing more and more the amount of information of Metal seems to be growing as well. With so much new knowledge floating about sometimes things can get confusing. This seems especially true when it comes to understanding genres of Metal, even more so when it is a genre one is not familiar with.

What I am suggesting is Metal Storm establishes some sort of Expert Area. There are numerous members on this site, who, I would say, are experts in certain fields of Metal. Why not tap into these sources?!

Here is something that comes to mind as an example? Let's say there is someone who wants to get into the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. What albums would they want to check out first? What bands are most important to hear? What is the basic description and history of that genre?

Where can someone get that sort of information? If Metal Storm had someway to use the experts here to create something like this, the site would have a fantastic addition.

So it is just a concept. What do you all think about it? Who are the experts here for the different genres? What could be done?
----
(space for rent)
20.02.2007 - 22:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Well good point

Since Im ewery day in MA (even now in Canada band - Carnal Sickness, damn Im disapointed in Canadian genre hope finish all band's in 2 weeks) and sometimes there are sed death/doom metal and I get mp3 even 3 songs and well its gothic so in MS genre info are more better but ok there are www.doom-metal.com objective site so IMO rthere no need made info about doom, but NWOBHM there was 2 links, whit discography, but IMO to small to get info

Its good idea but IMO its hard to do it because I know maybe 10 pll here who cans ay something about genres werry good, but IMO this idea never will be realised, IMO easyer are made soemthing like regional enciclopedia pl make soemthing who are from Moldova, Romania, Bulgaria, Zimbave, Uganda, ist be easyer but who will do it
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.02.2007 - 00:53
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
But isn't this somewhat what the articles do? For example 'The Categorization Of Death Metal'. That one tells us about bands, recommandations, history, stories etc. etc.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
21.02.2007 - 01:26
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
I usually check peoples profiles before taking reccomendations from them anyways, and how would one go about judging who is an expert and who is full of sh*t?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
21.02.2007 - 01:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Doc G. on 21.02.2007 at 01:26

I usually check peoples profiles before taking reccomendations from them anyways, and how would one go about judging who is an expert and who is full of sh*t?

Well not band's in profile but posts what ppl say about bands, genres and such thinks
----

apos;'
[image]
21.02.2007 - 06:40
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Oh I see now.
----
- George Carlin
21.02.2007 - 13:04
W-Lash
Metal Master

User profiles doesn't mean anything. Musical taste can change occasionaly but user can forget about his profile info.
As Kariasakis said - posts show more than profile info.
21.02.2007 - 15:54
GT
Coffee!!
staff
@Hemlock: I think it sounds like a very good idea. Just not sure how it should be done, like what qualifies a person as an expert in a certain genre? and who is to decide what is right/wrong information?...just to name a few of the potential problems.
But again I second the suggestion. I have often had problems with defining genres or understanding the difference between two or more
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
21.02.2007 - 18:36
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by W-Lash on 21.02.2007 at 13:04

User profiles doesn't mean anything. Musical taste can change occasionaly but user can forget about his profile info.
As Kariasakis said - posts show more than profile info.

Thats what I meant, throughg looking at there profiles check out posts, reviews etc etc.
----
- George Carlin
22.02.2007 - 20:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Dane Train on 20.02.2007 at 21:45

As this site seems to be growing more and more the amount of information of Metal seems to be growing as well. With so much new knowledge floating about sometimes things can get confusing. This seems especially true when it comes to understanding genres of Metal, even more so when it is a genre one is not familiar with.

What I am suggesting is Metal Storm establishes some sort of Expert Area. There are numerous members on this site, who, I would say, are experts in certain fields of Metal. Why not tap into these sources?!

Here is something that comes to mind as an example? Let's say there is someone who wants to get into the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. What albums would they want to check out first? What bands are most important to hear? What is the basic description and history of that genre?

Where can someone get that sort of information? If Metal Storm had someway to use the experts here to create something like this, the site would have a fantastic addition.

So it is just a concept. What do you all think about it? Who are the experts here for the different genres? What could be done?

Well, I think it is good idea. for example although I do like some prog metal I am by no means the person to fire questions at concerning that genre (I would, dare I say it... go to you for that )
Whereas for NWOBHM, old school death metal, doom, and ESPECIALLY thrash metal I would be one of the people to fire questions at (Hellish Star is a good one for NWOBHM, thrash and US power metal as well).
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.02.2007 - 21:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.02.2007 at 20:23

Written by Dane Train on 20.02.2007 at 21:45

Well, I think it is good idea. for example although I do like some prog metal I am by no means the person to fire questions at concerning that genre (I would, dare I say it... go to you for that )
Whereas for NWOBHM, old school death metal, doom, and ESPECIALLY thrash metal I would be one of the people to fire questions at (Hellish Star is a good one for NWOBHM, thrash and US power metal as well).

Hahha we know it Marcel and thrash

Alos here was Aizdalihalak who was doom, and well Gother are into doom prity good, like Souther Wind, Damnated in Black and VenoM_BM into old school
----

apos;'
[image]
22.02.2007 - 22:10
wrathchild
staff
If we were to nominate genre experts, that would be cool that those experts can actually write an article about their field of expertise. Right now, few people have done that and some of those who did wouldn't call themselves experts (I think - could be wrong).

Also, how would you want to include that "feature"? Would there be only one expert for one genre? If so, what if a newcomer happens to be a better expert than the current one?
It's a bit vague to me.
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
22.02.2007 - 22:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by wrathchild on 22.02.2007 at 22:10

If we were to nominate genre experts, that would be cool that those experts can actually write an article about their field of expertise. Right now, few people have and some of those who did wouldn't call themselves experts (I think - could be wrong).

Also, how would you want to include that "feature"? Would there be only one expert for one genre? If so, what if a newcomer happens to be a better expert than the current one?
It's a bit vague to me.

Alos true its hard say who are expert, who's not but post's prove how much ppl know about it because some say venom kick ass band, others Venom, it was in .... and ... so ''black metal'' album thats why nowdays BM calls BM.

I haw eno doubt about Marcel and some other mambers but genre experts all genresd are to big, ist easyer for example Marecl talks about Thrash metal in BeNiLux or XXX mamber about balck metal in Catalonia, ist IMo asyer ino us all
----

apos;'
[image]
23.02.2007 - 03:28
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt

haha exactly. Take my profile, for example
23.02.2007 - 04:26
Southern Wind
Account deleted
There's no need of an official list... everyone who had been for a while in this site know who have to ask for specific genres... and well, I see that some people seem to miss the point of this thread anyway: to know about genres have nothing to do with "liking good bands" playing them.
23.02.2007 - 05:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Bad English on 22.02.2007 at 22:29

If we were to nominate genre experts, that would be cool that those experts can actually write an article about their field of expertise. Right now, few people have and some of those who did wouldn't call themselves experts (I think - could be wrong).

It's a bit vague to me.

I haw eno doubt about Marcel and some other mambers but genre experts all genresd are to big, ist easyer for example Marecl talks about Thrash metal in BeNiLux...

Well, to be honest it is harder for me to talk about thrash in the benelux than about US NY, LA, Arizona, Bay Area thrash. I am much better versed in the ways of US thrash than in that of my own country (although I do know a shitload of them and about them and the scene development)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.02.2007 - 05:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 23.02.2007 at 04:26

There's no need of an official list... everyone who had been for a while in this site know who have to ask for specific genres... and well, I see that some people seem to miss the point of this thread anyway: to know about genres have nothing to do with "liking good bands" playing them.

I agree with you that to know about genres has nothing to do with "liking good bands" playing them. But maybe I am blind and need new glasses but I don't see anyone in this thread saying something along those lines. So, maybe I misunderstood you, but please care to explain...
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.02.2007 - 06:38
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.02.2007 at 05:44

Written by Guest on 23.02.2007 at 04:26

I agree with you that to know about genres has nothing to do with "liking good bands" playing them. But maybe I am blind and need new glasses but I don't see anyone in this thread saying something along those lines. So, maybe I misunderstood you, but please care to explain...

my fault, I thought that some people were saying that seeing favourite bands in profiles to see who knows about what, but I should had read more carefully
23.02.2007 - 09:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.02.2007 at 05:41

Written by Bad English on 22.02.2007 at 22:29

It's a bit vague to me.

I haw eno doubt about Marcel and some other mambers but genre experts all genresd are to big, ist easyer for example Marecl talks about Thrash metal in BeNiLux...

Well, to be honest it is harder for me to talk about thrash in the benelux than about US NY, LA, Arizona, Bay Area thrash. I am much better versed in the ways of US thrash than in that of my own country (although I do know a shitload of them and about them and the scene development)

But still you was living in that time and know more what hepen in underground and metal even in early 90ties Finish flower metal
probobly you stil remeber some one or 2 EP band who play in Dinamo sometimes in 90ties

Its not like I who read, search and listen some long time forggoten bands
----

apos;'
[image]
24.02.2007 - 23:57
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.02.2007 at 20:23

Haha, cute. And I would go to you for suggestions on beer.

If we were to nominate genre experts, that would be cool that those experts can actually write an article about their field of expertise. Right now, few people have done that and some of those who did wouldn't call themselves experts (I think - could be wrong).

It's a bit vague to me.

I think there could be more than one expert for a genre. Especially if the genre is a very extensive one. I would say more than one, but really no more than three.

I understand some of the ideas right now area little vague. That is why I listed this as a suggestions. We as a community can work through this together and figure it out.

Voting for genre experts by the whole community seems to be the best route in my opinion. What do you all think?
----
(space for rent)
25.02.2007 - 15:25
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
Written by Dane Train on 24.02.2007 at 23:57

It's a bit vague to me.

I think there could be more than one expert for a genre. Especially if the genre is a very extensive one. I would say more than one, but really no more than three.

I understand some of the ideas right now area little vague. That is why I listed this as a suggestions. We as a community can work through this together and figure it out.

Voting for genre experts by the whole community seems to be the best route in my opinion. What do you all think?

There is no need for a further elitization (does that word even exist? ) of Metalstorm, in my opinion. Anyway, I'm afraid the best way to such designation is not through a Metalstorm-wide democratic vote. We all know (for example) that Hellish Star is the best oracle about US Power Metal, but who is the most savvy Metalstormer about, say, Finnish Power Metal? danzig111 aka Loweles OF FIRE? Dark Cornatus? Angelique?

Furthermore, take a look at those newbies who register and don't participate in the forum. They are most likely to have no idea about 'veteran' Metalstormers. Those who have more knowledge (those you call 'experts') about certain Metal genres, as wrathchild says, have the opportunity to write a nice article and send it to the Moderators. If you prefer, however, to choose the 'experts' through democratic vote, please count on the dangers of universal suffrage (the Mods could restrict the vote to, say, Metalstormers above a number of XXX posts).
26.02.2007 - 19:18
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i think that only users with over 50 posts(or something like this) should vote, and that the candidates should all demonstrate their metal knowledge in the desired field somehow.
26.02.2007 - 20:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Valentin B on 26.02.2007 at 19:18

i think that only users with over 50 posts(or something like this) should vote, and that the candidates should all demonstrate their metal knowledge in the desired field somehow.

Im old forum you can only open tread, edd pics after 100 posts but what you mean by this IMO not post number but how good thay are show your knbowlage
----

apos;'
[image]
26.02.2007 - 21:00
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Bad English on 26.02.2007 at 20:45

Im old forum you can only open tread, edd pics after 100 posts but what you mean by this IMO not post number but how good thay are show your knbowlage

yeah but how do you know who just did some copy/paste and who really really knows the deal? if you survive 100 posts, you're not really a metal n00b anymore, and can figure out megadeth from deicide for example.
26.02.2007 - 21:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Valentin B on 26.02.2007 at 21:00

Written by Bad English on 26.02.2007 at 20:45

yeah but how do you know who just did some copy/paste and who really really knows the deal? if you survive 100 posts, you're not really a metal n00b anymore, and can figure out megadeth from deicide for example.

Hahhaha coppy past from where I woud not do that, if do OI woud say original site link, because sometimes i coppy from doom metal or bnr some infi, because there are better englsih how mine
But also i try say my opinium, and well I never had say Im expert, because I like almoust all genres but I try dig deeper
----

apos;'
[image]
08.03.2007 - 08:03
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Dangerboner on 23.02.2007 at 03:28

haha exactly. Take my profile, for example

Like I think I remember telling W-Lash, Its not the profile exactly, but I look at there posts and stuff mostly to see if they know what there talking about.
----
- George Carlin
08.03.2007 - 22:25
Angelique
Bitchy Moderator
elite
Hmmm.. interesting idea, although there is few problems in it.. For example how we would pick the experts.. I strongly oppose voting, we've worked so hard to stop Metal Storm being an immature popularity contest and I'm sure this kind of voting would lead back to that, people wouldn't vote by nominates' knowledge but their popularity and how visible they are in the forums so no no for a voting. Also no matter how much knowledge you have in the end music is 'matter of taste' issue, for example two person who knows a lot (enough to be an expert) about power metal might disagree a lot of bands and their real relevance in the genre etc. I really don't like the idea of us naming few person and stating that these people know better than you no matter what you think.

If you consider yourself as an expert of certain genre write a tho through article of the genre and earn your "position" as an expert, by this I don't mean that staff would start to name experts but if you know your shit people will recognize it for sure. When/if we get more good genre articles we as a staff could do a lot more to make these articles more visible and known (for example link band profiles' genres to these articles or something like that).
----
I have more faith in my plumber than I do the eternal being. Plumbers do a good job. They keep the shit flowing.
-C.Bukowski
09.03.2007 - 07:13
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
Its a very very good idea, and yes many people are experts in different genres of metal. And it would be really smart to ask people that are masters of the Genre's to help out with the work, but the thing is, these people might not have the time, might not be moderators, might not want to do this, or might not what do be moderators or anything along those lines, its a great idea, but it tying in with everyones schedule would be very hard, so good idea, but not throughly good.
10.03.2007 - 03:51
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Well instead of talking about what won't work, let's focus on what will work. It sounds like many people are in favor of having some sort of expert resource available here at Metal Storm. How about instead of people just voting, because it could turn into a popularity contest, how about members suggest their recommendations, with reasoning, and the moderators go from there. And by reasoning, more than just "Metalheadsoandso knows a lot about Black Metal and is uber necro!"
----
(space for rent)
10.03.2007 - 05:07
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Good idea presented by hemlock here... If we want to know about the genre of a particular band or know about bands of a particular genre, its best to get the information personally from an expert of that genre.
For example, a few months back, in a site called 'deathmetal.com' or some like this, I saw that bands like Dimmu Borgir (who never played death metal) were listed as a death metal band, also, in a fan site of the band Nile, slayer , dimmu borgir etc. were listed as bands similar to Nile, which is a totally misleading information.
Hence, if a genre expert would suggest, it would be better.
To carry out this idea, what I think should be done is, in a thread (which should be created later if this idea is to be implemented) those who think that they can help with sorting out the genre-related confusions should present themselves and whoever have some questions can contact that person either by PM or better, quote him and question him.
Different threads for different genre can be created (for example threads like 'DEath metal experts area', 'black metal experts area' and so on).
imo, instead of 'electing' particular members as 'genre experts' it is better to allow all members to participate and the infrmation provided by that member can be verified through discussion.
----
that which shines without names and forms...