Metal Storm logo
Systematic Desensitization: Black Metal Edition

Thumbs up: +2
For many, some of the more extreme types of metal can be challenging to penetrate. I'll admit that my first time listening to Burzum was nearly the equivalent of listening to a buzz-saw. But over time, I found my ears became acclimated, so to speak. All of the beauty and subtlety within became more and more apparent. Now I find listening to Darkthrone to be little different from listening to Vivaldi. Okay, maybe that is an overstatement, but you get the idea. The point of this list to help those looking for a more gradual path from unkvlt to kvlt, if you will. IHopefully it provides some assistance. The top represents some of the more mainstream, well-produced (but still solid) releases, while working your way down results in a stripping away of sound quality, melody, and radio-friendly content. The list ends with a mixture of gritty second wave and mentally challenging avant guarde stuff. This is far from comprehensive, so feel free to hit the forums for some deeper cuts. I also welcome thoughts on reordering as this was no easy task for one set of ears.

Created by: flightoficarus | 19.02.2015

1. Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon
2. Melechesh - Enki
3. Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini
4. Immortal - All Shall Fall
5. Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant
6. IXXI - Assorted Armament
7. Immortal - Sons Of Northern Darkness
8. Enslaved - Isa
9. Nokturnal Mortem - Voice of Steel
10. Moonsorrow - Voimasta Ja Kunniasta
11. Windir - 1184
12. Immortal - At The Heart Of Winter
13. Gorgoroth - Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam
14. Borknagar - The Olden Domain
15. Ascension - Consolamentum
16. Inquisition - Ominous Doctrines Of The Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm
17. Melechesh - Emissaries
18. Taake - Nattestid...
19. Enslaved - Mardraum - Beyond The Within
20. Absu - Tara
21. Sacramentum - Far Away From The Sun
22. Dissection - Storm Of The Light's Bane
23. Marduk - Opus Nocturne
24. Satyricon - Nemesis Divina
25. Cult Of Fire - मृत्यु का तापसी अनुध्यान
26. Death Karma - The History Of Death & Burial Rituals Part I
27. Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
28. Borknagar - Borknagar
29. Enslaved - Frost
30. Immortal - Battles In The North
31. Inquisition - Invoking The Majestic Throne Of Satan
32. Gorgoroth - Under The Sign Of Hell
33. Bathory - Blood Fire Death
34. Bathory - Under The Sign Of The Black Mark
35. Darkthrone - A Blaze In The Northern Sky
36. Burzum - Filosofem
37. Satyricon - Dark Medieval Times
38. Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
39. Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
40. Immortal - Pure Holocaust
41. Darkthrone - Under A Funeral Moon
42. Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
43. Ulver - Nattens Madrigal - Aatte Hymne Til Ulven I Manden
44. Lunar Aurora - Andacht
45. Cultes Des Ghoules - Henbane
46. Peste Noire - La Sanie Des Siècles - Panégyrique de la dégénérescence

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by flightoficarus ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 13   Visited by: 72 users
21.02.2015 - 17:22
Zap
Here are some suggestions:

On the accessible side of things: Negură Bunget, A Forest Of Stars, Hail Spirit Noir, Darkspace (their last one), Alcest, Deafheaven

On the inaccessible side of things: Darkspace (their first few), Blut Aus Nord, Deathspell Omega, Leviathan (Tentacles Of Whorror I think would be a pretty tough listen for the uninitiated), Botanist (the first one mostly), Cloak Of Altering (not that familiar with them, but tough to get into, ask Apothecary or Joe for more info)

There are plenty more but I'm sure others will eventually chime in.
21.02.2015 - 17:52
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Zap on 21.02.2015 at 17:22

Here are some suggestions:

On the accessible side of things: Negură Bunget, A Forest Of Stars, Hail Spirit Noir, Darkspace (their last one), Alcest, Deafheaven

On the inaccessible side of things: Darkspace (their first few), Blut Aus Nord, Deathspell Omega, Leviathan (Tentacles Of Whorror I think would be a pretty tough listen for the uninitiated), Botanist (the first one mostly), Cloak Of Altering (not that familiar with them, but tough to get into, ask Apothecary or Joe for more info)

There are plenty more but I'm sure others will eventually chime in.

Pitch me some placement numbers and I'll add them later.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
21.02.2015 - 18:01
Zap
I don't know man, it's your list. Put Botanist's debut at the bottom and Deafheaven's latest at the top, for the others you'll have to decide yourself
21.02.2015 - 18:12
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Zap on 21.02.2015 at 18:01

I don't know man, it's your list. Put Botanist's debut at the bottom and Deafheaven's latest at the top, for the others you'll have to decide yourself

Urgh so much to listen to already. Not familiar with some of the stuff you listed. Deathspell omega, Leviathon, and Deafhaven I can do.
----
22.02.2015 - 01:17
mz

Scree botanist and deafheaven. Add some good bands instead
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
22.02.2015 - 02:50
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by mz on 22.02.2015 at 01:17

Scree botanist and deafheaven. Add some good bands instead

I don't like deafhaven either, but they have a place on this list
----
22.02.2015 - 15:22
Zap
Not a fan of them either, but they're responsible for getting a lot of people into black metal it seems.
22.02.2015 - 18:11
Lit.
Account deleted
Looks like just another black metal list to me.
22.02.2015 - 19:03
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Guest on 22.02.2015 at 18:11

Looks like just another black metal list to me.

Seems kind of dismissive. Yes, it is a black metal list but I took time to consider what a progression for someone used to mainstream production into darker and grittier territory might look like. You already listen to that stuff, so it doesn't apply to you.
----
22.02.2015 - 23:25
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Zap on 21.02.2015 at 18:01

Cloak of Altering is indeed some crazy stuff. On their bandcamp now. I kind of dig it. For some reason its a bit more accessible to me than things like Deathspell Omega.
----
23.02.2015 - 10:53
Zap
Written by flightoficarus on 22.02.2015 at 23:25

Cloak of Altering is indeed some crazy stuff. On their bandcamp now. I kind of dig it. For some reason its a bit more accessible to me than things like Deathspell Omega.

I haven't listened to it since their latest album dropped and didn't really like it all that much at the time, but maybe I'll get into it more these days. Should probably revisit it, but then there are loads of albums I have to revisit or check out

EDIT: wait no, never mind, I thought their latest one was the 2012 one
01.05.2015 - 02:56
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Not sure if you've scoped it before, but if you're looking for stuff on the more batshit end of the BM spectrum, you can always check out this list I made. Needs some updating actually, that Porta Nigra album was my first addition to it in over a year
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
01.05.2015 - 03:35
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Auntie Sahar on 01.05.2015 at 02:56

Not sure if you've scoped it before, but if you're looking for stuff on the more batshit end of the BM spectrum, you can always check out this list I made. Needs some updating actually, that Porta Nigra album was my first addition to it in over a year

Fitting. That record had me stumped. I think it's the only BM release I listened to that I did not rate. Not even sure if I like it. Guess that is worth something.
----

Hits total: 1904 | This month: 4