Metal Storm logo
Amaranthe - Tapper, Tallinn, Estonia, 10.02.2015

Event: Amaranthe: European Massive Addictive Tour 2015
Written by: Ivor
Published: 21.02.2015

Galleries:

Amaranthe - Tapper, Tallinn, Estonia, 10.02.2015 by Ivor (34)

I am usually genuinely surprised when some bands come to revisit my little country in a fairly short while, say a couple of years. For them to be back in just half a year is a pretty significant achievement, especially for something as popular as Amaranthe. Well, the new album has been released between then and now, and maybe not everybody could make it to the show in Haapsalu. Given the warm reception there, it is fairly logical for the band to take to the stage here in such a short while.

The gig was initially supposed to take place at Rock Café. However, it appears that things have turned sour there under the new management, and the event was moved to Tapper. There also may have been a question of the show not selling as well as it might have because, while Tapper is the smaller of the two venues, it was far from overcrowded for this gig; comfortably full is the suitable phrase on this occasion.

By hearsay, Cypher16 weren't supposed to be of much interest. That's by hearsay, and that is often incorrect. At least to some extent. Balancing on the border of rock and metal, Cypher16 have got at least two things going for them. First, the drive. Their songs are far from idle ballads and live they make for a great pastime. Second, the delivery. The band are pretty passionate about what they are doing and it's good in combination with the first point. However, and here's the downside, I have a feeling that in doses exceeding half an hour their kind of music gets tiresome. Let's say there's not enough variation for it not to blend together and leave a greyish impression.

When Amaranthe took to the stage, the crowd became a lot more involved in the show. However well Cypher16 might have done, the phrase of their singer rings true: "You're not here for us, you're here for Amaranthe." Surely it was the Amaranthe party that people where there for; the fast-paced, and short-lived party. While the band go through a lot of songs during their set, most of them are pretty concise and over in the blink of an eye, and thus the show itself flies by fast.

One thing that I've found a bit annoying over the course of the two Amaranthe shows I've seen so far is the absence of someone to actually play keyboards live. The stage already feels somewhat crowded by the three singers, but the feeling that a large portion of their sound comes from the tape sometimes bothers. Not that I know how that part of the puzzle could be solved. However, I immensely enjoy seeing their vocal trinity perform live for the variation that it brings to their music and because I'm a sucker for a good vocal interplay.

As much as I enjoy the easy-going nature of Amaranthe's songs, I have to say it's somewhat hard to describe the show itself. One thing that goes with their show is airing out your attic and switching off much of your conscious thought processes. You just take music that comes at you without deep introspection, letting the energy and emotions of the performers wash over you. It's raw and unfiltered. It's a way to relax and have a good time by just being there and enjoying the show. Frankly, there's no need to pretend it to be anything else.

Set list:
1. Digital World (Massive Addictive)
2. Hunger (Amaranthe)
3. Invincible (The Nexus)
4. Razorblade (The Nexus)
5. 1.000.000 Lightyears (Amaranthe)
6. Rain (Amaranthe)
7. Over And Done (Massive Addictive)
8. Trinity (Massive Addictive)
9. Massive Addictive (Massive Addictive)
10. Afterlife (The Nexus)
11. Electroheart (The Nexus)
12. (Drum Solo)
13. Leave Everything Behind (Amaranthe)
14. Amaranthine (Amaranthe)
15. Call Out My Name (Amaranthe)
Encore:
16. Dynamite (Massive Addictive)
17. Drop Dead Cynical (Massive Addictive)
18. The Nexus (The Nexus)

In the end the show was what I was after: an enjoyable, effortless, and relaxing pastime. This is what Amaranthe can deliver easily and I'll gladly catch another of their shows if an opportune moment turns up. Simply because it's fun in a simple way.

Written on 21.02.2015 by I shoot people.

Sometimes, I also write about it.

And one day I'm going to start a band. We're going to be playing pun-rock.

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 134 users
21.02.2015 - 19:57
PocketMetal

That setlist is awesome but then again these guys have too many catchy songs to choose from. Digital World as opener must have been killer.
21.02.2015 - 21:49
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Quote:
You just take music that comes at you without deep introspection, letting the energy and emotions of the performers wash over you. It's raw and unfiltered. Frankly, there's no need to pretend it to be anything else.

This is the best definition of Amaranthe's music I've heard.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
22.02.2015 - 00:29
Ismarmlp

And "True"???
23.02.2015 - 20:05
FeskarN

Indeed, good setlist. Great report! Jake changes hairstyle quite often
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
23.02.2015 - 22:38
Rulatore

Awesome setlist, must have been a great show thanks
26.02.2015 - 10:00
silenius

Written by AngelofDeth on 21.02.2015 at 21:49

Quote:
You just take music that comes at you without deep introspection, letting the energy and emotions of the performers wash over you. It's raw and unfiltered. Frankly, there's no need to pretend it to be anything else.

I'm sorry, amaranthe's music raw?unfiltered? it's the most overproduced and filtered poop IN ZE WORLD. I've seen them live and it was painfully obvious how much work went into making it sound even remotly acceptable on their albums. Yuck is the best way to define their music.
26.02.2015 - 10:56
Ivor
Staff
Written by silenius on 26.02.2015 at 10:00

I'm sorry, amaranthe's music raw?unfiltered? it's the most overproduced and filtered poop IN ZE WORLD. I've seen them live and it was painfully obvious how much work went into making it sound even remotly acceptable on their albums. Yuck is the best way to define their music.

Shows you didn't really take your time to read what was written. You can have your opinion about Amaranthe's music, it's yours to have. I won't dispute it. What I was referring to was live experience without much deep thinking, the emotional power of the performance/performers is raw and unfiltered without introspection. You take it as it comes, so to say.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
26.02.2015 - 11:01
silenius

Written by Ivor on 26.02.2015 at 10:56

Shows you didn't really take your time to read what was written. You can have your opinion about Amaranthe's music, it's yours to have. I won't dispute it. What I was referring to was live experience without much deep thinking, the emotional power of the performance/performers is raw and unfiltered without introspection. You take it as it comes, so to say.

I.

My comment was not directed at your statement, i directed it at the person who used your words to define their music in general, not only live.
26.02.2015 - 11:30
Ivor
Staff
Written by silenius on 26.02.2015 at 11:01

My comment was not directed at your statement, i directed it at the person who used your words to define their music in general, not only live.

I get that, but it doesn't mean that AoD wasn't also referring to a live context.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
05.03.2015 - 14:34
EnigmaLake

Great mix between albums, some bands utterly forget their first album by album 3-4
16.04.2015 - 07:30
Amy

Written by AngelofDeth on 21.02.2015 at 21:49

Quote:

I have to agree I see them as mediocre at best. I can't find anything raw about this band. I figured the band exists so people could drool over Elize Ryd.
----
\m/

Hits total: 5594 | This month: 7