Ag Fox
Rating:
Roy Khan is back!

Read more ››
published 03.05.2015 | Comments (53)

Guest review by
Kais
Rating:
Kamelot, a band responsible for many great hits in the power/symphonic metal scene, have recently issued their second full-length studio album, Haven, featuring their new frontman Tommy Karevik. The band stated this album is a throwback attempt, back to The Black Halo era, which brings their recent rather controversial songwriting knack to the test.

Read more ››
published 11.06.2015 | Comments (8)

Found in 31 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 48   Visited by: 1036 users
23.02.2015 - 19:36
Rating: 10
Chriwalker

Can't wait for this one!
----
Chris D.
23.02.2015 - 20:20
Metal_4Ever

Omg finally! I haven't had such a great news in a long time
23.02.2015 - 21:41
azry3L

The bonus CD / earbook and mediabook has orchestral versions of three songs. Can't wait until May 5th!
24.02.2015 - 20:56
Rating: 7
Oakdude

High hopes for this, can't wait!
01.03.2015 - 04:52
mikeprado30

Written by Guest on 27.02.2015 at 19:46

Bad feeling---bad and bored album coming soon ... ...

Did you heard it already???

I can't endure those Nostradameus for the metal scene...
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
05.03.2015 - 01:44
Oakdude

Thomas said in an interview: "...the new album is a mix of modern, Fourth Legacy and Black Haloish". Just the fact that he mentioned Fourth Legacy made me jump out of excitement, jesus fuck I can't wait for this! The Fourth Legacy is definetly their best album, mostly beacuse this is where Khan was at his best, but the whole feeling of the album is just fantastic. The Black Halo is a close 2nd and just epic; Memento Mori, need I say more?
13.03.2015 - 18:08
MementoDan

Can't the time go any faster already?! Really looking forward to this one!
----
Sub sole nihil novi est
Ad astra per aspera
Quaerite prime regnum dei
Ante bellum memento mori
16.03.2015 - 00:16
GordOfThunder

Saw them play live at the O2 Islington London last night and they only played 1 track from Haven in the encore, Veil of Elysium and it sounded great. Let's hope the rest of the album is as good.
I was expecting to hear more tracks, but I guess the release is in May and they will wait till release to use it on set. The set was taken from Silverthorn and a mix of other albums. It was a good concert, the normal classics like Forever and Center of the Universe went down a storm.
02.04.2015 - 02:31
ScnD361

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEch2Zdq7b0 Veil of Elysium
21.04.2015 - 23:09
Rating: 9
Dargor

01.05.2015 - 23:10
Fred

This is by far the band's best album since TBH!
Karevik has finally unleashed his full vocal repertoire!
Not a weak song in this. Very decent stuff, and the music has never been this bombastic and varied.
----
Fred
02.05.2015 - 02:58
ohmayhem

I've only heard amazing things about this album from the press. Is it really going to be that good?! I don't want to get my hopes up, but people are comparing this to The Black Halo and I can't help but hope...
02.05.2015 - 07:07
Joe Zombie

I believe this may indeed be their best since TBH. Its bands like this that keep me interested in power metal. First Cain's Offering and now this!
02.05.2015 - 21:59
ScnD361

Excelent album!!!!!, the best since TBH, a new era!!, silverthorn was a experiment with a khan-clon, but this is a real album, consistent and very melodic!! A 10/10 from me
02.05.2015 - 22:40
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

Good album... but it feels like they were trying REALLY really hard to make super huge and memorable choruses... and fell a bit short IMO.

I'll have to see how it fares with time, but for now I'd put it on about the same level as Silverthorn. It doesn't even approach The Black Halo, so don't let anyone tell you it does.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
02.05.2015 - 22:59
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Listened to the entire album and I can barely find aspects that sends me back to the TFL or TBH era. This album follows, more or less the same line established ever since Ghost Opera (while not being as memorable as GO). It's only plus is that it is far more memorable and ingenuous than Silverthorn, but that doesn't say much. A good album, around the 8 mark. I think we have to accept the fact that instrumentally, Kamelot cannot top Karma, Epica, much less TBH. Also, I like the fact that the guitar parts are more audible here rather than burried deep into the orchestration like it was on Silverthorn.
03.05.2015 - 03:00
ScnD361

Written by SoUnDs LiKe PoP on 02.05.2015 at 22:40

Good album... but it feels like they were trying REALLY really hard to make super huge and memorable choruses... and fell a bit short IMO.

I'll have to see how it fares with time, but for now I'd put it on about the same level as Silverthorn. It doesn't even approach The Black Halo, so don't let anyone tell you it does.

The same level as Silverthorn???, they don't are trying really hard to make super album, they made a great album and IT IS approach to TBH, the album is more powerfull than Silverthorn, obviusly more than Poetry for the Poisoned, and even more powerful than Ghos opera, maybe a bit less than the songs on TBH but very close to them., but by the other hand, Revolution it's the most aggresive song from Kamelot in all its discography. In a thing I am agreed with you, the album is very short xd , but its really good and, personally, I don't feel it forced to be memorable. It's the best since TBH, not the best obviusly, but maybe Kamelot are in the way to that
03.05.2015 - 22:58
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

Written by ScnD361 on 03.05.2015 at 03:00

Written by SoUnDs LiKe PoP on 02.05.2015 at 22:40

The same level as Silverthorn???, they don't are trying really hard to make super album, they made a great album and IT IS approach to TBH, the album is more powerfull than Silverthorn, obviusly more than Poetry for the Poisoned, and even more powerful than Ghos opera, maybe a bit less than the songs on TBH but very close to them., but by the other hand, Revolution it's the most aggresive song from Kamelot in all its discography. In a thing I am agreed with you, the album is very short xd , but its really good and, personally, I don't feel it forced to be memorable. It's the best since TBH, not the best obviusly, but maybe Kamelot are in the way to that

I'll have to see how I feel a year from now, but I consider this album below Ghost Opera. They were GOING for a good sound, here... I just feel like the songwriting falls short in many places. Not a bad album by any means, but it sounds like they went into the writing process already knowing what kind of sound they were going for, as opposed to letting the songs come about more naturally.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
04.05.2015 - 09:10
Rating: 6
The Melting Snow

Better than Poetry for the Poisoned. nothing else praiseworthy about it.

At first listen it seemed like all songs are the same. pretty much the same formula in every song, making it too predictable. Looks like they've run out of creative ideas so they just keep using the same format for every song over and over again.
05.05.2015 - 04:54
chronic-headache

Written by The Melting Snow on 04.05.2015 at 09:10

At first listen it seemed like all songs are the same. pretty much the same formula in every song, making it too predictable. Looks like they've run out of creative ideas so they just keep using the same format for every song over and over again.

Pretty sure im the only metalhead alive who like Poetry for the poisoned

If Tomorrow Came is my fav. tune off that album.

haven't had a chance to listen to the album yet. Just got it in the mail today. Ill hopefully get to hear it by tomorrow night (busy busy with finals)
05.05.2015 - 11:32
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by Guest on 05.05.2015 at 06:51

Bored album, better SIlverthorn??? Just 5 song...Under greys skies, fallen star, veil of elysium, insomnia, citizen zero but this albums is generic the same way Poetry for the Poisoned and Silverthorn ... ...i am sad ... but nice sound...but terrible lyricis, terrible!!!!! Palotai written this album??? come on!!! stop!!!

The same way PFTP and Silverthorn was and yet you still rate it 10. LOL...
05.05.2015 - 12:27
Rating: 8
Hughes

Schizo tendencies!
05.05.2015 - 18:18
Rating: 4
Natasja

Written by The Melting Snow on 04.05.2015 at 09:10

This! Exactly this!
05.05.2015 - 20:12
gocrew

"Pretty sure im the only metalhead alive who like Poetry for the poisoned"

You're not. I think it's a great album.

Kamelot keeps getting better and better. I am so excited to hear this album.

And that starts tonight, because I'll be seeing them in concert!
06.05.2015 - 00:37
Nifheim
Nifheim
Great album! Various songs of the album reminds me another songs of the band (in parts, not in the whole song).
Veil of elysium: Center of the universe + Ghost Opera
Citizen zero: The zodiac + March of Mephisto
Under grey skies: Don't you cry
My therapy: Karma + My confession
Beatiful apocalypse: Moonlight + Necropolis
Liar liar: Fall from grace (part III from Elizabeth)
Here´s to the fall: Abandoned
06.05.2015 - 01:22
Xyanade

Well, they'd better make some move. I felt this one is a bit of every past Kamelot. Solid one but a little bit disappointed.
06.05.2015 - 01:25
Xyanade

Written by gocrew on 05.05.2015 at 20:12

"Pretty sure im the only metalhead alive who like Poetry for the poisoned"

You're not. I think it's a great album.

Kamelot keeps getting better and better. I am so excited to hear this album.

And that starts tonight, because I'll be seeing them in concert!

I like the riff from The Great Pandemonium, and Necropolis isn't too bad either. The problem with PftP is their title track, kinda clueless and not forged well, they could have made it an epic but it sounds weak and shattered.
06.05.2015 - 03:58
Zhazhael
Account deleted
Written by Nifheim on 06.05.2015 at 00:37

Great album! Various songs of the album reminds me another songs of the band (in parts, not in the whole song).
Veil of elysium: Center of the universe + Ghost Opera
Citizen zero: The zodiac + March of Mephisto
Under grey skies: Don't you cry
My therapy: Karma + My confession
Beatiful apocalypse: Moonlight + Necropolis
Liar liar: Fall from grace (part III from Elizabeth)
Here´s to the fall: Abandoned

Liar Liar: fall from grace???? are u serious??? whatever...nice review man, " i saw the same comparation" ... corus from veil of elysium sound like the corus " when the lights are down" ...mmmm fallen star like Lost an damned & the edge of paradide
06.05.2015 - 19:14
Rating: 8
FYA
Destroyer
,,Under Grey Skies" - is it only me, or intro sounds like ,,The Islander" from Nightwish?
07.05.2015 - 16:52
Kais

Got my first listen to this album... can't say anything except how deeply disappointed am I with this release.
It seems like only three songs were great, and the rest fell to be a very dull and monotonic attempt to mix "Silver", "Poetry" and "Ghost Opera" - ending up as a conjuction of poorly executed industrial feel, and to be honest, I perhaps expected too much out of this album.
This is definitely a weaker album than previous "Silverthorn", and maybe one of the worst the band has ever released.
Key (I guess) Songs: Fallen Star, Insomnia & Veil of Elysium.

Hits total: 19883 | This month: 28