Metal Storm logo
Belphegor vs Behemoth

Poll

Which band is the superior blackened death metal band?

Behemoth
Belphegor

Total votes: 212
21.02.2007 - 06:33
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
There seems to be an ongoing battle of Belphegor VS Behemoth, I believe there was a thread for it in the previous metal storm forums, so here goes. Also hopefully this will stop people from coming into my Belphegor thread saying "These guys are awesome, but Behemoth is better".

If I didnt have my voting ban still in effect Id definitly vote for Belphegor. I find the growls are alot less sloppy.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
21.02.2007 - 06:45
MetalSpider
Belphegor is awesome, but I like Behemoth better. Kidding! Just being a jerk

I voted for Behemoth. I just can't describe how much I enjoyed Demigod. The riffs, the drums, Nergal's unholy vocals (despite the fact you can barely understand a word he says without looking at lyrics on Demigod), the occasional acoustic guitars, the lyrics and so on. Their other albums are great as well.

I will say that Belphegor's latest album, Pestapokalypse VI was one of my favourite albums of 2006.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
21.02.2007 - 06:57
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by MetalSpider on 21.02.2007 at 06:45

I voted for Behemoth. I just can't describe how much I enjoyed Demigod. The riffs, the drums, Nergal's unholy vocals (despite the fact you can barely understand a word he says without looking at lyrics on Demigod), the occasional acoustic guitars, the lyrics and so on. Their other albums are great as well.

I will say that Belphegor's latest album, Pestapokalypse VI was one of my favourite albums of 2006.

Yeah and sorry about that angry comment I left directed towards you in the Belphegor thread, I wouldnt have said it if I realized no one created the Belphegor Vs Behemoth thread yet.
----
- George Carlin
21.02.2007 - 07:18
MetalSpider
Written by Doc G. on 21.02.2007 at 06:57

Written by MetalSpider on 21.02.2007 at 06:45

Yeah and sorry about that angry comment I left directed towards you in the Belphegor thread, I wouldnt have said it if I realized no one created the Belphegor Vs Behemoth thread yet.

Oh dont worry about it.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
21.02.2007 - 14:53
Dasyatidae
Account deleted
Hmm.... Belphegor.
Behemoth is very good, too, their songs are really bombastic - something I can appreciate in music. But Belphegor has more melodic aspects in their music... so they win
21.02.2007 - 16:58
Sunioj
Behemoth, I think they have a more distinct sound. I like Belphegor alot, but I dont find them really groundbreaking or anything. I guess Im just more biased towards behemoth, I guess. They are coming to ISrael!!!
21.02.2007 - 18:23
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Behemoth, easily.

This wasn't a difficult question, since Behemoth are in the top of my list of favorite bands. And have been there for about 1 1/2 year now, I'd say. Albums like Sventevith, Zos Kia Cultus, Thelema & Demigod just kick some big fat asses.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
21.02.2007 - 21:13
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Well, since I don't like Belphegor at all, Behemoth easily wins. I own three Belphegor albums, and after listening to them I've concluded that they have absolutely no idea how to write a song. Oh, and their drummer was horrible and I'm glad he left.

Behemoth is just superior in every aspect. Their songs are more complex, the lyrics are more intelligent, and they have an overall more brutal sound.
21.02.2007 - 21:33
Stigmatized
Behemoth. Just a superior band in every aspect. I like Belphegor, but they can't stand up to Behemoth.
22.02.2007 - 00:41
APOHAKC
The Bard
Belphegor of cause, what kind of question is that???

@Dream Of Hate Which apects?
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
22.02.2007 - 06:35
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Stigmatized on 21.02.2007 at 21:33

Behemoth. Just a superior band in every aspect. I like Belphegor, but they can't stand up to Behemoth.

Every aspect? I find the behemoth growls far too sloppy, Belphegors are brutal but Helmuth doesnt sound like hes choking on his own vomit.

And as far as lyrics go I really couldnt give 2 shits, he could be growling about flowers & kittens for all I care, the music is amazing.

.......Oh yeah 666th post! What a most fitting thread to post it in.
----
- George Carlin
22.02.2007 - 07:48
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Dangerboner on 21.02.2007 at 21:13

Well, since I don't like Belphegor at all, Behemoth easily wins. I own three Belphegor albums, and after listening to them I've concluded that they have absolutely no idea how to write a song. Oh, and their drummer was horrible and I'm glad he left.

Behemoth is just superior in every aspect. Their songs are more complex, the lyrics are more intelligent, and they have an overall more brutal sound.

Wait are you thinking of the right band here? Nefastus was awesome, and he still does the studio stuff, the drumming reached a new level of intensity and skill in 'Pestapokalypse VI'
----
- George Carlin
22.02.2007 - 07:56
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
When I first listened to Petapokalypse VI, I had to turn it off at around track 6 because the drums were driving me insane. He does the same thing over and over again, and adds almost no variation to his drumming. Yeah, he's fast, but at time he plays signicantly faster than the pace the guitarists are going, and the resulting sound is quite amateur. He just goes bass, snare, bass, snare, and on and on for a whole song.
22.02.2007 - 08:02
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Dangerboner on 22.02.2007 at 07:56

When I first listened to Petapokalypse VI, I had to turn it off at around track 6 because the drums were driving me insane. He does the same thing over and over again, and adds almost no variation to his drumming. Yeah, he's fast, but at time he plays signicantly faster than the pace the guitarists are going, and the resulting sound is quite amateur. He just goes bass, snare, bass, snare, and on and on for a whole song.

Really? The opening track on the intro he does a great job at adding in high speed double kick yet manages to keep a slow paced sound. 'Pest Teufel Apokalypse' has some great work on the ride during the chorus. The coordination he has with the double bass in 'angel of retribution is really cool aswell. thats just to name a few.
----
- George Carlin
22.02.2007 - 08:17
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
When I use the word, variation, I don't mean going from mid-paced snare hits to fast-snare hits. Every extreme metal drummer can do that. His footwork isn't bad, but the bass drums are heavily triggered, which means he doesn't have to hit them cleanly for an even sound. I just think he needs to get a little more creative behind the kit in order to match the riffs. Take the song, Swarm of Rats, for example. He sounds like a little kid trapped in a small room with only a stick and a snare drum. A constant bass/snare pattern in mid-paced music is very annoying for me, even if he does the same thing faster, at times.

BTW, the pitchshifter in the opening track kicks serious ass (I'm playing it right now).
22.02.2007 - 15:54
Sunioj
Written by Dangerboner on 22.02.2007 at 08:17
Every extreme metal drummer can do that. His footwork isn't bad, but the bass drums are heavily triggered, which means he doesn't have to hit them cleanly for an even sound. I just think he needs to get a little more creative behind the kit in order to match the riffs.

I agree, if there is one thing about Belphegor I would want differrent is the drumming...I still like them though'
23.02.2007 - 00:28
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
@pyroleperchaun: yes your completely right, seeing as your a drummer and all.

Get behind a kit then tell me Nefastus is a terrible drummer.
----
- George Carlin
23.02.2007 - 01:38
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
lol hey man, no need to take offense. I'm not saying he's a sack of shit or anything, but his style of drumming just doesn't appeal to me. That's cool that you like him, but for me the drums can either make or break a band. I hope I like the new guy more.

This is the metal fucking arena, so you will see different viewpoints, especially in a 2 band battle.

But they do have good guitarists and some sexy pictures of nuns
23.02.2007 - 01:41
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Dude, that is not what he said! He should just add variation.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
23.02.2007 - 02:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Is the a serious question?

How can anyone choose Belphegor?

Behemoth any time of the day, month, year, decade, century, millenium.

First of all, like has been said in this thread the drumming is way superior in every aspect. Second of all, also mentioned, the songwriting is way superior. And third of all, Behemoth blows Belphegor off the stage in a live setting. I've seen the bands live a coupe of times and even on a bad day Behemoth owns Belphegor (on its best day) And I've seen them together at a festival and there was no doubt about it at all. Behemoth just ruled live.

Btw, before people start to htink I am one of those Behemoth worshippers... I am not. I even thought Demigod was their worst of the black/death death albums. Not enough variation on that one.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.02.2007 - 04:33
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Belphegor all the way... well, I'm not a fan of any of those bands, but I really enjoy albums like Lucifer Incestus of Necrodeamon Terrorsathan from time to time, while I just can't stand Behemoth... except Zos Kia Cultus... just yesterday I was trying to listen to Pandemonic Incantations and can't understand why people like that much such a boring piece of over-produced crap.
23.02.2007 - 04:50
Trifixion
Account deleted
Honestly while I like both of them neither of them are really up therewith my favorites, but I had to go with Behemoth. Just because I think they're a better band all around. I don't even necessarily like them better, but they are a better band. Belphegor has a much more...wicked sound for lack of a better word, though (Swarm of Rats anyone?) But they can't stand up to Behemoth overall.
23.02.2007 - 06:38
Judas
The Amputator
I had to go for Behemoth. Don't get me wrong, Belphegor are also a good band, but they are woeful compared to the mighty Behemoth. It's a personal thing, but I really love Nergal's vocals, and their lyrics are far better, even with 'ov' chucked in liberally. The drums are hit with more precision than a Swiss watch, and the overall feel is much more to my taste. Also, Behemoth have consistently been great, whereas Belphegor do have some rather average material. Behemoth all the way.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
23.02.2007 - 18:39
Martinikuss
Behemoth, because Demigod kicking my ass so hard that i cant seat till now.
23.02.2007 - 19:35
APOHAKC
The Bard
@Martinikus - I think that I didn't wante to hear something like that, if all Behemot fans like this band like you, I am glad I voted for Belphegor
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
24.02.2007 - 02:33
Putrid_Cadaver
Account deleted
I have to say I like both bands A lot, but between them, belphegor takes the win.

Behemoth is very good but most people (that I know) seem to only care about Nergal, which isnt a good thing.
Behemoth's music is very brutal but in every song off Demigod, 1 guitar would do a little rythm lick while the other did harmonizing chords over it and that got really old. Pest. had much better songs becuase some songs were very fast while others were slow and sped up some and some were even slow and melodic (like Angel of retribution). Also I think Behemoth is known far more than Belphegor which gives them advantage. Occasionally I'll watch Headbangers ball and on it Behemoth has had atleast 3 videos played on it while Belphegor has had none.

Like I said earlier Behemoth is one badass band but between them and Belphegor, Belphegor has it.
24.02.2007 - 02:35
Stigmatized
Written by Guest on 23.02.2007 at 04:33

Belphegor all the way... well, I'm not a fan of any of those bands, but I really enjoy albums like Lucifer Incestus of Necrodeamon Terrorsathan from time to time, while I just can't stand Behemoth... except Zos Kia Cultus... just yesterday I was trying to listen to Pandemonic Incantations and can't understand why people like that much such a boring piece of over-produced crap.

Dude, you're not alone. I don't like anything they did before Satanica.
24.02.2007 - 08:35
Eternal Flames
Behemoth definitely for me. I'm not a huge fan of Belphegor. They've got some good stuff but it's really nothing compared to Behemoth. I really liked both Behemoth's earlier black metal days and their newer black/death metal stuff. Nergal's vocals are just awesome as far as I'm concerned. And after seeing Behemoth live last year, they were just absolutely amazing. Everything just sounded perfect.
26.02.2007 - 18:44
baldur
Written by Guest on 26.02.2007 at 17:52

I agree with you except about Demigod I love that album a lot and there is no way Belphegor could ever create something that good or even close to it.

yeah demigod is a pretty good album
27.02.2007 - 08:04
666SETH666
Account deleted
Ofcorse Behemoth...their music & atmosphere are way far better than Belphegor's