04. Murderers In The Name Of God
05. Perpetuating The Truth
06. Possessed By The Lie
07. Hate Celebration
08. Damned Creation
09. The Beast Within
10. Pestilence Of The Limbo

Not quite there?

When I held this Cd for the first time in my hands I remember I though "what a wicked Digipack edition, but what a terrible cover art". Yes, I'm afraid that the edition of the debut album from Brazilians Ungodly is one of the best things I've seen in a while, too bad the cover art totally sucks, as cliché as the band logo.

As soon I began listening the intro I must say I was really excited, "The Ungodly Prayer" is a cool orchestral intro with all the atmosphere of a horror movie, of course that atmosphere is crushed down to tiny bits when "Ungodly" tears up the speakers with rabid grunts and catchy riffing.

Ungodly plays a mixture of Black and Death Metal, being the latter the predominant side of the album. You'll find well produced Death Metal tunes with some Black Metal twists here and there (mainly in the vocal department). The thing that I like about this band is that they don't rely on brutality like many other bands do nowadays, they give the necessary space to the riffing and to the melodic breaks.

Sadly this release doesn't come out like a winner when comparing it to many fine Death Metal releases, and why is that? Because Ungodly doesn't offer nothing new or something I haven't heard before, and don't get me wrong, this is a fine record to listen to, it just don't rocks my world as many others did.

I was hoping to find more string sections in the songs (like the intro) but all I found was little orchestral bits in some songs, I assume this guys like their Death Metal a little old school, and there's nothing wrong with that, just don't expect public acclaiming them for that.

If you really like Death Metal, I bet you'll find this interesting, because it is, just don't expect a pioneering, ground-breaking Cd here, you've been warned.

Written by Undercraft | 25.04.2006

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 4 users
21.02.2007 - 12:08
rock_2_thrash

its a kickass album Worth the time esp the first two songs!!!!
----
..the darkness and silence are the end of my song!!!!!

Hits total: 4311 | This month: 7