Metal Storm logo
Choosing Death - Book Revised And Expanded Edition Coming

If you like to read and also like death metal and grindcore, this could be perfect for you. Originally released on Feral House back in 2004, Choosing Death: The Improbable History Of Death Metal and Grindcore is widely recognized as the definitive history of its titular extreme music subgenres. For its (more or less) 10-year anniversary, author Albert Mudrian - editor-in-chief of Decibel Magazine - has chosen life after death in the form of an expanded and revised edition, which flaunts 100 additional pages of new content.

This fully redesigned hardcover version is the inaugural release of brand-new imprint Decibel Books, and will be limited to 3,000 hand-numbered copies. It boasts three new chapters (with new material interspersed among the original 10 chapters), over 50 new interviews (for a total of 200) and a new cover painting by legendary death metal artist Dan Seagrave, recalling elements of his classic Entombed and Morbid Angel album covers.

Now out of print, the original Choosing Death has been translated into seven different languages around the world. This exciting history, featuring an introduction by famed DJ John Peel, tells the two-decade-long history of grindcore and death metal through the eyes and ringing ears of the artists, producers and label owners who propelled them. Phil Anselmo (Down, ex-Pantera) called it "something special. This is a must-read for anyone who wants a comprehensive 'who-did-what-when' book. Thumbs up."

Mudrian explains this expanded edition: "The decade since Choosing Death's release treated death and grind fans to unlikely reunions, vital comeback records and previously unimaginable commercial breakthroughs. I couldn't resist the urge to document one of the most exciting periods in the genres' history, while also revealing more tales of its first 20 years of rule."

Albert Mudrian has been the editor-in-chief of monthly extreme music magazine Decibel since its inception in 2004.

The revised and expanded Choosing Death: The Improbable History Of Death Metal and Grindcore is available now for pre-order exclusively here. Books will ship the week of April 12th.

Source: choosingdeath.com
Posted: 03.03.2015 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 10   Visited by: 42 users
03.03.2015 - 14:47
BlueMobius
Account deleted
I have the original and it was a great read. Definitely a must read, especially for those that got into metal after this era.
03.03.2015 - 16:27
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
I have the first edition and I always thought that it was actually rather limited in scope, focusing waaay too much on a few key bands, while ingoring a large amount of lesser-known (but no less influential) acts. I wonder if this expanded edition fixes this...
03.03.2015 - 16:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by jupitreas on 03.03.2015 at 16:27

I have the first edition and I always thought that it was actually rather limited in scope, focusing waaay too much on a few key bands, while ingoring a large amount of lesser-known (but no less influential) acts. I wonder if this expanded edition fixes this...

What I also found was that it overstated England's importance in death metal (yes they were imortant for grindcore but not for death metal). And if I remember correctly, almost entirely ignoring Sweden's impact on the death metal scene. But then again for that we have Daniel Ekeroth's more than excellent Swedish Death Metal book.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.03.2015 - 19:16
Lit.
Account deleted
Quote:

recalling elements of his classic Entombed and Morbid Angel album covers.

Then why does it look like something off Entombed A.D.'s newest album?
03.03.2015 - 19:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 03.03.2015 at 19:16

Quote:

recalling elements of his classic Entombed and Morbid Angel album covers.

Then why does it look like something off Entombed A.D.'s newest album?

Look at the cover. Now look at Entombed's debut and ALtars Of Madness. It is clearly a reworking of those two put together.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.03.2015 - 20:01
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Reminds me more of Clandestine than Left Hand Path though.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
03.03.2015 - 21:04
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.03.2015 at 19:59

Look at the cover. Now look at Entombed's debut and Altars Of Madness. It is clearly a reworking of those two put together.

Oh, god. I didn't even piece together that the giant mass of god-knows-what was from Altars. Totally my bad.

I agree with Doctor, though; the Entombed aspect looks more like something off Clandestine rather than LHP.
03.03.2015 - 21:24
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Enjoyed it, even for it's flaws.

i also remember them being obliquely harsh on Suffocation as well, for whatever reason.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
04.03.2015 - 13:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.03.2015 at 20:01

Reminds me more of Clandestine than Left Hand Path though.

Indeed it is more the inferior album of the two. No idea what I was thinking.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.03.2015 - 14:22
musclassia
Staff
I genuinely got this book for Christmas and am about 2/3 the way through right now, rather enjoying it. It would actually be quite interesting to read the updated parts, but I'm not sure I'm ready to acquire the same book twice within a window of a few months

Hits total: 1893 | This month: 5