Style: Post-metal, Atmospheric sludge metal
Release date: February 2015

01. Swallow
02. Lye
03. Lie
04. Dilate
05. Tire Iron
06. Hide/Defend

Hide is initially reticent about its atmospheric sludge, and only toward its end will its basis become apparent.

Regularity of melody in post-metal isn't usually concurrent with a primary element of sludge. Sludge, by its nature, isn't a particularly melodic sub-genre, at least in the same manner as is its relative in stoner metal. It's unusual to find a band of the former style that identify with melody so strongly as a key characteristic, even in post-metallic contexts. Burweed are Finnish and, naturally, the nation's inclination for melody in their metal, regardless of whatever stylistic tropes are adopted, provides reason for what makes Hide a secretive debut for its kind.

Its kind, to be more specific, being of the sludge solidified sounds that breach - and in this case mostly cease to accommodate - the gentler possessions of a metalized post-rock. Hide discloses the kind of sludge with a strong and central melodic purpose. Outside of Ghost Brigade's residual yet discernible elements of melodic death metal, Burweed demonstrate an individually melodic style occupying a more purely veined atmospheric sludge approach contingent with post-metal, than do their Finnish contemporaries, whose ambiguity would open up questions in regards to the appropriateness of their allocation in the often vague and contentious area that is post-metal. The fact that these two bands are Finnish and are associated with post-metal is where the comparison begins and ends; Burweed have a sound of their own in mind, and their mindset is evidently one of writing atmospheric sludge.

A more fitting comparison would be, as the listener would expect, Cult Of Luna. Though the aforementioned melodiousness is much more noticeable in this band's approach from the very opening of their efforts in Hide, and an atmospheric aspect is initially minimal and reserved to the album's second-half. The numbers one through three are more melodic and concise, and are written with something of a stoner metal melodiousness in their framework, despite the retaining of a distinct tone characteristic of sludge metal via the formative guitar sound leading an up-tempo clattering concordance of hardcore styled drumming and generally abrasive vocal arrangements, though both harsh and clean are used in their variations here.

"Dilate" is an apt title for the fourth and following track. The first of the final three, with each respectively exceeding eight minutes, it's at this point that the songs do indeed dilate; the sound extending in scope and duration, and more accurately accommodating an atmospheric sludge typeset. There is a greater emphasis placed upon the atmospheric aspect in these longer tracks, as they utilize broader quiet-to-loud (or vice versa) alternations throughout their flowing crescendo building, the final track "Hide/Defend" presenting this contrast at its most obvious.

In light of the noticeable melodic sensibilities, it's unfortunate that the style of Hide by the album's end won't strike the listener as something as original in other respects, simply because it bears an obvious tone that doesn't set itself apart a great deal from the norm. Though this is not to overlook the band's potentially individual approach to atmospheric sludge, which is enough to differentiate Burweed from the generic mass with a well pieced together debut.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 23.02.2015 by R'Vannith enjoys music, he's hoping you do too.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 23 users
04.03.2015 - 01:47
Rating: 9
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
More of this kind of stuff from you???!! I will check this out asap :0 Thanks for the review!!
----
rekt
04.07.2015 - 20:31
Rating: 9
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Ummm, wow. With further listens this is now my mid-2015 AOTY. So good. Thanks R'...never would have found this without you.
----
rekt
05.07.2015 - 06:13
Rating: 7
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by tea[m]ster on 04.07.2015 at 20:31

Ummm, wow. With further listens this is now my mid-2015 AOTY. So good. Thanks R'...never would have found this without you.

Hey, no problem. Glad to see I'm not the only one enjoying it.
05.07.2015 - 11:27
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by R'Vannith on 05.07.2015 at 06:13

Written by tea[m]ster on 04.07.2015 at 20:31

Hey, no problem. Glad to see I'm not the only one enjoying it.

No, seriously your recommendations are very good(especially of Post-metal/rock).

Reviews looks good. Will check out this one as it'll be interesting to listen to the band which is out of my territory.

Hits total: 2990 | This month: 6