Reviewer:

62 users:
Band: Ethereal Shroud
Album: They Became The Falling Ash
Release date: February 2015

01. Look Upon The Light
02. Desperation Hymn
03. Echoes In The Snow

I like walking around my new home of Asuncion at night. After dark the city takes on a different feel. Opting to meander in new directions through new barrios is very intriguing and, at times, tinged with a little danger. I think with They Became The Falling Ash I've found the soundtrack to my next few explorations.

I've always loved "As Fire Swept Clean The Earth" by Enslaved. There is something about how the song builds up to those first two lines? 'I close my eyes? As fire swept clean the Earth.' It almost feels like a cleansing of sorts.

That is precisely the feeling that the opening track, "Look Upon The Light", evokes in me.

Granted, Ethereal Shroud sound pretty much nothing like the Black Floyd Space Vikings, but the tracks both capture that same emotion. It's pretty much 20 minutes of a bleak yet beautiful mixture of melodic black metal tremolo riffing that is merged with that "shimmer" of well executed post-rock. Think "Explosions In The Northern Sky." It sort of slowly envelopes you like warm bathwater? soothing and numbing you a bit before he kicks it up a notch that after being lulled goes off like a bomb blast.

The entire vibe is heightened by the largely cavernous and distant production. It sounds like sole member Joe Hawker went for a nice walkabout with his gear in tow, fell down a mine shaft into a large cave, and while killing a couple days in his temporary home waiting on a rescue team, figured, "Fuck it. Why not?" and recorded the framework of this album on the spot.

"Desperation Hymn" lives up to the title, being less friendly and far more urgent than the opener. A little more akin to a lot of the melodic one man black metal acts, only executed with the ability, vision and acumen of the innovators of the genre, rather than one of the countless one man acts that are ultimately just lacking. (Funny there is no lack to those whose music is lacking? some sort of irony.)

"Echoes In The Snow", the closer, pulls the framework of the opener - a super extended dance remix of a song - that builds, swells, lulls, and cycles anew, only with the occasional bout of desperation from the 2nd track? and built upon with some grandeur via bells, mild chanting and more open guitar work.

The whole experience lasts about an hour, which is about perfect. It has a nice flow, start, middle, and end without feeling horribly drug out? Always a danger when tossing two songs exceeding 20 minutes in length into a three song album.

I stumbled on to this via "One time at bandcamp" and enjoyed it enough that I felt compelled to share with the rest of the Metal Storm class. So name your own price (preferably something north of zero), download it, pop it on to your phone or mp3 player, wait until dark, then go explore that creepy part of town near you.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 04.03.2015 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 296 users
04.03.2015 - 05:59
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
The last paragraph should have teach you to go to bandcamp frequently and check out new acts making splendid music. =P

Anyway, great review. Not gonna listen now as lot of records piling up in checklist but this will have a long wait.
04.03.2015 - 07:03
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by deadone on 04.03.2015 at 06:09

Some of us prefer to keep our anal virginity.

Wow. Here the worst thing that can happen to you is getting stabbed and robbed, but at least they don't rob your anal virginity .
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
04.03.2015 - 07:10
MetalDoomMaster

Good review, this album goes by quick for having two songs over 20 minutes.
05.03.2015 - 00:06
Noctus

Thank you for reviewing my album so positively, I really appreciate it!

All the best.
05.03.2015 - 01:06
Rating: 8
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Noctus on 05.03.2015 at 00:06

Thank you for reviewing my album so positively, I really appreciate it!

All the best.

was a thoroughly enjoyable album, made writing easy. hopefully it gets you a few more hits!
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
06.04.2015 - 19:44
Rating: 8
MHShokuhi

An amazing travel into dark snowy corners, thanks for the well-written review, without it i wouldn't found this album (soon)
----
Shake the silence and hear what it say ~In Flames
12.11.2015 - 17:54
Susan
Smeghead
DAAAAMN. I'm a few (several, many) months late to the game here but... wow. Easily will be in the top 10 albums of this year. How does he do it? I concur wholeheartedly with the awe toward how fast this album flies by. Accurate review for a great album.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs

Hits total: 6405 | This month: 11