02. Ending
03. A Soul Once Lost
04. Cold
05. Setting The Skies Ablaze
06. Ideals That Won't Surrender
07. Sentence Of Immortality
08. The World Discarded
09. Endless Wandering

An innate capacity of Psycroptic is their stability in studio variance. No record is a replication of those which preceded it, and each successively demonstrates the band's evolution without compromising the core integrity in their technical approach to death metal. A self-titled sees no change to this, yet it lacks the vigorous edge expected from an album bearing the band's own name.

The direction that the Tasmanians have been taking across their most recent efforts is one that has, at this point, distanced their studio sound considerably from the brutal extremities found in The Scepter Of The Ancients. They've consistently opted for a style based in fleeter song structure than a technically delivered death metal; its currently more fluid form and technicality foregoing an emphasis on a more stringent death metal tone and foundation. Years after the loss of the lauded vocalisations from "Chalky," the band have moved with the times to an extent. Though not to lose their own identity, they've pursued a style on the verge of integrating metalcore into the mix, primarily through Peppiat's more relevantly modern manner of vocal delivery. Although unerring, the vocals became a very fixed feature for the previous record, despite all of its strengths in performance.

The production of The Inherited Repression made for an exceptional clarity of sound that brought out the best in the band's increasingly melodic tendencies, with technical precision at the behest of the frantic fret fanatic that is Joe Haley implementing the drive to a well layered and mixed maelstrom about integrally melodic song structures. The tightly woven riffs were incisive and the rhythms engaging, albeit induced in a more homogenous outing for the band.

Psycroptic sees variety between its tracks as more vital this time around, and is the record's greatest asset, it being more commendable than their previous outing in The Inherited Repression in this regard. Peppiat enhances much of the instrumental variety in his equally varied vocal arrangements, from the rapid metalcore venom of the thrash fuelled number "Setting The Skies Ablaze" to the clear pronunciation in delivery in cuts like "Cold" and "Ending." However, and despite the album's well established points of distinction best demonstrated within its first half, there is an intra-track degradation which wears the record down considerably; the instrumentation lacking variance within the context of each track to avoid the onset of a monotonous drag that weighs on the record, especially toward its filler prone end.

The record removes the atmospheric backdrop that had been such an enhancing aspect to prior efforts, consequently capturing a comparatively plain and pale sound. The early promise of such an atmosphere in the intro of the opener "Echoes To Come" is one largely left unfulfilled throughout the album's duration, ultimately representing a bare-bones performance for the band.

Although technical proficiency certainly isn't lost to them in a self-titled, and commendable variety between its tracks are made available, it's plain to hear that Psycroptic are going through the motions in this latest effort.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written on 07.03.2015 by R'Vannith enjoys music, he's hoping you do too.

Comments

Comments: 67   Visited by: 250 users
07.03.2015 - 23:34
Machiavelli
Account deleted
"it's plain to hear that Psycroptic are going through the motions in this latest effort" says the guy who has never been in a recording studio... he probably never played an instrument as well. Your credibility score here is zero.
08.03.2015 - 00:17
Written by Guest on 07.03.2015 at 23:34

"it's plain to hear that Psycroptic are going through the motions in this latest effort" says the guy who has never been in a recording studio... he probably never played an instrument as well. Your credibility score here is zero.

I'm not sure that you grasp the concept of reviewing. His opinion is based on long term experience with music. You can like the album, it can be your favourite, but that doesn't make it an exceptional album, and I feel like the reviewer has all the rights to conclude this.
08.03.2015 - 03:34
Joe Zombie
Totally agree with this review. Echoes to Come got me pretty interested but sadly that's the highlight of the album IMO and as a whole it is very average, even boring.
08.03.2015 - 06:24
Lit.
Account deleted
Sounds like typical Psycroptic to me.
08.03.2015 - 06:58
Machiavelli
Account deleted
Written by GabrielGheorghiu on 08.03.2015 at 00:17

I'm not sure that you grasp the concept of reviewing. His opinion is based on long term experience with music. You can like the album, it can be your favourite, but that doesn't make it an exceptional album, and I feel like the reviewer has all the rights to conclude this.

No. You can say "I don't like the album because I don't think the music is good" which is fine because it is subjective but to claim the band is "going through motions" is absolutely ridiculous. If you said that to the band I'm sure they would make you eat a crash cymbal. Say whatever you want, I also have the right to give his review a review and I give it an "F" for style, substance, and conclusion. 0.0 out of 10.0.
08.03.2015 - 18:12
adam_mattos
Overt displays of fanboyism aside, I thought the album was decent. Certainly better than their last.
09.03.2015 - 07:51
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Written by Joe Zombie on 08.03.2015 at 03:34

Totally agree with this review. Echoes to Come got me pretty interested but sadly that's the highlight of the album IMO and as a whole it is very average, even boring.

This is also what I'm feeling from my few listens so far

"The early promise of such an atmosphere in the intro of the opener "Echoes To Come" is one largely left unfulfilled throughout the album's duration" is pretty much spot on
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
09.03.2015 - 17:09
FYA
Destroyer
Who designed album cover?
10.03.2015 - 11:57
Machiavelli
Account deleted
Psycroptic Always Keeps 'Em Guessing on Self-Titled Album
Read more at http://www.metalsucks.net/2015/03/04/review-psycroptic-keep-em-guessing-self-titled-album/#3yBjPd9mwwMXG33y.99

the review at MetalSucks I think provides a perspective on the latest outing by the Tasmanian tech-death metal masters that matches mine because all the criticism above seems unfounded... I hear a lot of innovation on this record.
10.03.2015 - 15:01
bodomdragon
Nice black and blue album cover.
11.03.2015 - 02:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 10.03.2015 at 11:57

Psycroptic Always Keeps 'Em Guessing on Self-Titled Album
Read more at http://www.metalsucks.net/2015/03/04/review-psycroptic-keep-em-guessing-self-titled-album/#3yBjPd9mwwMXG33y.99

the review at MetalSucks I think provides a perspective on the latest outing by the Tasmanian tech-death metal masters that matches mine because all the criticism above seems unfounded... I hear a lot of innovation on this record.

Psycroptic have been mediocre tech-death wankers for quite some time now. Shame you and other fanboys of theirs don't hear it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.03.2015 - 02:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by deadone on 11.03.2015 at 02:24

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.03.2015 at 02:21

Psycroptic have been mediocre tech-death wankers for quite some time now.

Since the start really. They've always been a band whose albums put me literally to sleep. They're a far better live band.

If I remember correctly I quite enjoyed their debut album, but that is it. And indeed they are better live than on album.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.03.2015 - 02:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by deadone on 11.03.2015 at 02:31

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.03.2015 at 02:25

If I remember correctly I quite enjoyed their debut album, but that is it. And indeed they are better live than on album.

Obiviously not enjoyable enough to be played regularly if you have to remember it!

Isle of Disenchantment showed a lot of potential that in the end was never really exploited to any degree. It still put me to sleep. I tried liking them cause they were local but they just can't write a song to save themselves.

Oops it wasn't their debut I enjoyed but their seocnd album The Scepter Of The Ancients hahahahaha, so no, indeed, totally forgettable for me it seems.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.03.2015 - 03:11
Machiavelli
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 11.03.2015 at 01:01

Written by Guest on 10.03.2015 at 11:57

because all the criticism above seems unfounded...

Dude sorry to say but you're starting to come across as a bit pathetic.

You like the album and other's don't. So what?

Or is this a case of cognitive dissonance (i.e. you like the album but other people not liking it makes you question your opinions) so you're grasping at others that have the same opinion?

I'm pathetic? because I observe some jokers acting like they know music and they don't even play an instrument or if so they have never composed a song or worked in a studio or in a band. Yes, I am trying to find some logical reasons for saying the band does not innovate or is uncreative or cannot compose a song. All those clams are unfounded because of the acclaimed work (then and now) they have produced. you would think given the criticism here that they are untalented which is a ridiculous opinion considering the majority of credible reviews on the internet say otherwise. But people love Agalloch here on MetalStorm and I think they are so untalented and boring that the fan connection must be hipster posing. Which is the vibe I'm getting from a lot of the regular posters here. If you guys want to have a hate fest on a band that I think is awesome then keep going because I'll counter ever single line of BS you write.
11.03.2015 - 03:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 11.03.2015 at 03:11

I'm pathetic? because I observe some jokers acting like they know music and they don't even play an instrument or if so they have never composed a song or worked in a studio or in a band.

So one has to be able to play an instrument or has to have composed a song or worked in a studio or been part of a band to be able to pass judgement on a band?

Well, so one can't judge sports if one hasn't played those sports themselves? Or one can't vote if one hasn't been a politician themselves?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.03.2015 - 03:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Btw where is the hatefest on Psycroptic on MS? This album got a frigging 7 which means the reviewer thought it was GOOD.
Only a coupople of people think this band is mediocre. And yes I am one of them. I think they are mediocre since I have heard loads of bands that play tech death that are vastly superior to these guys.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.03.2015 - 03:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by deadone on 11.03.2015 at 03:20

What we have here is definitely a case of butt hurt fanboyism.

that is 200% clear.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.03.2015 - 03:34
Machiavelli
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 11.03.2015 at 03:26

Written by Guest on 11.03.2015 at 03:11

considering the majority of credible reviews on the internet say otherwise.

This bit is hilarious given you gave Slayer's God Hates Us All a 9 and yet you gave Reign In Blood a mere 6! Where's your respect for the majority of "credible reviews on the internet?"

Indeed your scores on Slayer:

God Hates Us All 9
South Of Heaven 8
Christ Illusion 8
World Painted Blood 7
Seasons In The Abyss 7
Reign In Blood 6

You might want to look up the definition of "hypocrisy" in the dictionary.

Well, looks like we got the fucking Hardy Boys working to solve another mystery!

I didn't like Reign In Blood that much because of the production on that record and for some reason it just didn't impact me. I like my thrash metal but I'm more of death metal guy anyway. Sometimes that happens. No hypocrisy here at all... just honesty, something you should try once in a while.
11.03.2015 - 03:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 11.03.2015 at 03:26

Well I can see a well developed bromance here between two posers but no one who understand good music.

do you actually know what a poser is?
I wonder if you'll still be into metal 36 years after first getting into metal. Probably not seeing your fav bands consisting of loads of the flavours of the months, of which one is a totall Black Sabbath rip off and bad at that as well.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.03.2015 - 03:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Says he likes thrash metal but is more of a death metal guy while having the follwoing as his favourite bands... huh???

Gojira, Parkway Drive, High On Fire, Psycroptic, Machine Head, Tool, System Of A Down, Nile, Demonic Death Judge, Slipknot, Blood Ceremony

Not much death or thrash there at all. Only two truly death metal bands, one borderline one, and just one band whioch used to be modern trhash then turned nu metal and now plays the flavour of the month.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.03.2015 - 03:39
Machiavelli
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.03.2015 at 03:35

Written by Guest on 11.03.2015 at 03:26

Well I can see a well developed bromance here between two posers but no one who understand good music.

do you actually know what a poser is?
I wonder if you'll still be into metal 36 years after first getting into metal. Probably not seeing your fav bands consisting of loads of the flavours of the months, of which one is a totall Black Sabbath rip off and bad at that as well.

Why are you crying about my favorite bands? No one sounds like Black Sabbath but Black Sabbath you hoopy frood.
11.03.2015 - 03:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 11.03.2015 at 03:39

Why are you crying about my favorite bands? No one sounds like Black Sabbath but Black Sabbath you fucking kook.

you'd better check your fav bands again since there is a band there that musically rips off Black Sabbath although they try to hide it with a flute and female vocals, you deaf twat.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.03.2015 - 03:41
Machiavelli
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.03.2015 at 03:38

Says he likes thrash metal but is more of a death metal guy while having the follwoing as his favourite bands... huh???

Gojira, Parkway Drive, High On Fire, Psycroptic, Machine Head, Tool, System Of A Down, Nile, Demonic Death Judge, Slipknot, Blood Ceremony

Not much death or thrash there at all. Only two truly death metal bands, one borderline one, and just one band whioch used to be modern trhash then turned nu metal and now plays the flavour of the month.

Stop classifying bands and understand that not everyone likes to put themselves in a box.
11.03.2015 - 03:44
Machiavelli
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.03.2015 at 03:41

Written by Guest on 11.03.2015 at 03:39

Why are you crying about my favorite bands? No one sounds like Black Sabbath but Black Sabbath you fucking kook.

you'd better check your fav bands again since there is a band there that musically rips off Black Sabbath although they try to hide it with a flute and female vocals, you deaf twat.

yeah, the guitarist has a thing for Black Sabbath riffs but like all good guitarists he innovates on his knowledge base and goes from there. I guess those female vox are trying to sound like Ozzy too right, kissyface?
11.03.2015 - 03:46
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Gonna throw my two cents in as well and say that I too found this to be extremely mediocre. And I do play the guitar. Still don't care.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
11.03.2015 - 03:56
Machiavelli
Account deleted
Written by flightoficarus on 11.03.2015 at 03:46

Gonna throw my two cents in as well and say that I too found this to be extremely mediocre. And I do play the guitar. Still don't care.

You have to be able to play somewhat decent. What is your best cover song that you can shred to?
11.03.2015 - 04:04
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Much lolz. Didn't realize I had to audition to have an opinion about a mediocre album. Been playing since I was 15. I'm 28. But it really doesn't matter. Stop being so upset that people don't share your opinion. You like it, that should be enough.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
11.03.2015 - 04:10
Fearmeister
Account deleted
I can't even afford an instrument. I guess my taste is invalid then ._.
11.03.2015 - 04:10
Maco
Pvt Funderground
I didn't know other opinions from almost unknown people can be so important to some other people.

Important enough to talk shit like the "you have to play instruments to have taste".
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
11.03.2015 - 04:35
Machiavelli
Account deleted
Written by Maco on 11.03.2015 at 04:10

I didn't know other opinions from almost unknown people can be so important to some other people.

Important enough to talk shit like the "you have to play instruments to have taste".

Where the hell did you grab that quote from? If you are going to quote something from me, get it right.

Hits total: 7453 | This month: 26