02. Ending
03. A Soul Once Lost
04. Cold
05. Setting The Skies Ablaze
06. Ideals That Won't Surrender
07. Sentence Of Immortality
08. The World Discarded
09. Endless Wandering

An innate capacity of Psycroptic is their stability in studio variance. No record is a replication of those which preceded it, and each successively demonstrates the band's evolution without compromising the core integrity in their technical approach to death metal. A self-titled sees no change to this, yet it lacks the vigorous edge expected from an album bearing the band's own name.

The direction that the Tasmanians have been taking across their most recent efforts is one that has, at this point, distanced their studio sound considerably from the brutal extremities found in The Scepter Of The Ancients. They've consistently opted for a style based in fleeter song structure than a technically delivered death metal; its currently more fluid form and technicality foregoing an emphasis on a more stringent death metal tone and foundation. Years after the loss of the lauded vocalisations from "Chalky," the band have moved with the times to an extent. Though not to lose their own identity, they've pursued a style on the verge of integrating metalcore into the mix, primarily through Peppiat's more relevantly modern manner of vocal delivery. Although unerring, the vocals became a very fixed feature for the previous record, despite all of its strengths in performance.

The production of The Inherited Repression made for an exceptional clarity of sound that brought out the best in the band's increasingly melodic tendencies, with technical precision at the behest of the frantic fret fanatic that is Joe Haley implementing the drive to a well layered and mixed maelstrom about integrally melodic song structures. The tightly woven riffs were incisive and the rhythms engaging, albeit induced in a more homogenous outing for the band.

Psycroptic sees variety between its tracks as more vital this time around, and is the record's greatest asset, it being more commendable than their previous outing in The Inherited Repression in this regard. Peppiat enhances much of the instrumental variety in his equally varied vocal arrangements, from the rapid metalcore venom of the thrash fuelled number "Setting The Skies Ablaze" to the clear pronunciation in delivery in cuts like "Cold" and "Ending." However, and despite the album's well established points of distinction best demonstrated within its first half, there is an intra-track degradation which wears the record down considerably; the instrumentation lacking variance within the context of each track to avoid the onset of a monotonous drag that weighs on the record, especially toward its filler prone end.

The record removes the atmospheric backdrop that had been such an enhancing aspect to prior efforts, consequently capturing a comparatively plain and pale sound. The early promise of such an atmosphere in the intro of the opener "Echoes To Come" is one largely left unfulfilled throughout the album's duration, ultimately representing a bare-bones performance for the band.

Although technical proficiency certainly isn't lost to them in a self-titled, and commendable variety between its tracks are made available, it's plain to hear that Psycroptic are going through the motions in this latest effort.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written on 07.03.2015 by R'Vannith enjoys music, he's hoping you do too.

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 67   Visited by: 250 users
11.03.2015 - 04:38
Machiavelli
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 11.03.2015 at 04:36

Written by Guest on 11.03.2015 at 03:11

I'm pathetic? because I observe some jokers acting like they know music and they don't even play an instrument or if so they have never composed a song or worked in a studio or in a band.

Nice logical fallacy. Just because one doesn't create music doesn't mean they can't criticize...

Never said that. Anyone can criticize if they have a valid point. Otherwise it will get shot down. That's how it works.
11.03.2015 - 04:45
Machiavelli
Account deleted
Written by flightoficarus on 11.03.2015 at 04:04

Much lolz. Didn't realize I had to audition to have an opinion about a mediocre album. Been playing since I was 15. I'm 28. But it really doesn't matter. Stop being so upset that people don't share your opinion. You like it, that should be enough.

I'm not countering opinion. I'm countering factual claims. Is it a fact that the band just dialed in this performance? No fucking way! If that is the case then they should quit right now and sell their instruments. No band of Psycroptic's status goes into the studio thinking they are going to just paint by numbers. It is claims like that which piss me off. You may have the perception that they are not trying hard but think about reality for a second. These bands are desperate to play live and be heard since they are not mainstream and unless touring they are done. Maybe some of the huge metal acts might be tempted to put out any old recording but not smaller acts. Think about it.
11.03.2015 - 04:53
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
I never said it was phoned in. Just not interesting. Deadone you made my night.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
11.03.2015 - 04:55
Machiavelli
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 11.03.2015 at 04:36

[
Technical ability is irrelevant to the enjoyment of a piece of music.

True but to play it you need technical ability as well as passion. And if you play guitar or an instrument it does make you appreciate the work of skilled musicians to a greater degree than someone who doesn't understand the challenges involved.
11.03.2015 - 05:05
Machiavelli
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 11.03.2015 at 04:52

How do you know? Given that they're human beings they are just as capable of the rest of us to be uninpsired. Maybe the drummers' cat died or the guitarist has got a sick kid or the vocalist just would've preferred to be at home playing Playstation or they're all a bit sick of each other or maybe they just didn't put as much into it cause they've been doing it for 15 odd years.

Or maybe they just don't know how to write really cool memorable death metal songs that people want to listen to regularly. And they've been drifting from tech death where people don't seem to care about song writing into more mainstream territory where song writing (and passion/energy) is very important.

If you think these guys got to where they are by being lame in the face of adversity then you don't know what it takes to be a champion of metal like these Tasmanian dudes. Just because you cry like a little boy when his playstation controller goes missing doesn't mean everyone else is as lame.
11.03.2015 - 05:13
Machiavelli
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 11.03.2015 at 05:05

Most people don't listen to music for technical ability.

And you don't have to be good at playing your instruments to arouse passion in people or make them interested in your music. If that was the case no-one ever would've bothered with Metallica whose drummer is notoriously shit and can't even play in time. Let alone many of the punk bands out there who seldom knew more than 3 power chords but whose music created a whole new aesthetic and way of thinking about things in general and not just music.

I too like bands that are less skilled (I'm a fan of Machine Head which was pointed out gleefully by the other guy), but there is bounds. People don't listen for technical skill but usually they can usually appreciate it in the way a spectator appreciates a feat of athleticism when it is fast and precise.
11.03.2015 - 05:16
Lit.
Account deleted
Wow, I'm actually rooting for deadone.

'Tis a sad day.
11.03.2015 - 05:26
Rating: 8
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Fuel for the fire: I actually find that my understanding of how the voice and guitar work allow me to appreciate aspects of those instruments that others normally wouldn't. That understanding is, however, a double-edged sword, causing me to obsess over mere gripes I have with those instruments and detracting from the music as a whole. The point is, no point in discussing this
11.03.2015 - 05:29
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by deadone on 11.03.2015 at 05:28

Now there's some brilliant words of wisdom.

Acquired only by making the same mistake over and over
11.03.2015 - 05:31
Machiavelli
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 11.03.2015 at 05:21

Written by Guest on 11.03.2015 at 04:38

You're in denial...

> 'You have to be able to play somewhat decent. What is your best cover song that you can shred to?'.

> 'I observe some jokers acting like they know music and they don't even play an instrument or if so they have never composed a song or worked in a studio or in a band'.

People who don't compose music can criticize it. People who don't have an oscar can criticize movies. People who don't design video games can criticize them. People who don't cook can criticize chef's food.

You are just rambling now. Look I get it. You think people who have subjective criticisms are making factual claims. If you think a musical piece is boring or shitty that is fine... but making claims on why it sucks by saying the band didn't care on this one is speculation that deserves ridicule.
11.03.2015 - 05:32
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
OKY DOKY PEOPLE, LET'S GET BACK ON TRACK AND AWAY FROM THE BACK AND FORTH ATTACKS.

I have not even bothered to check this out because Psycroptic haven't been interesting in a long time.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

11.03.2015 - 05:37
Machiavelli
Account deleted
Written by LeKiwi on 11.03.2015 at 05:26

Fuel for the fire: I actually find that my understanding of how the voice and guitar work allow me to appreciate aspects of those instruments that others normally wouldn't. That understanding is, however, a double-edged sword, causing me to obsess over mere gripes I have with those instruments and detracting from the music as a whole. The point is, no point in discussing this

This all began when I read the idiotic lines of the reviewer "it's plain to hear that Psycroptic are going through the motions in this latest effort." I don't even have a problem with his score 7/10 although he lazily plopped that number down for all four sub categories instead of trying to be honest about it. I actually thought from reading his words that he would have given it a 6/10.

So i got some sand in my clit and went ballistic from there.
11.03.2015 - 05:39
Machiavelli
Account deleted
Written by psykometal on 11.03.2015 at 05:32

I have not even bothered to check this out because Psycroptic haven't been interesting in a long time either.

Nice passive aggressive jab.
11.03.2015 - 05:42
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by Guest on 11.03.2015 at 05:39

Nice passive aggressive jab, loser.

Was actually trying to get the discussion back on the album, but by all means keep going with the insults and see how passive aggressive I can really get.
----

11.03.2015 - 05:45
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Guest on 11.03.2015 at 05:37

This all began when I read the idiotic lines of the reviewer "it's plain to hear that Psycroptic are going through the motions in this latest effort."

I agree that it wasn't a valid statement to make, but I think he meant to say it's plain to him. I'd let it slide
11.03.2015 - 05:46
Machiavelli
Account deleted
Written by psykometal on 11.03.2015 at 05:42

Was actually trying to get the discussion back on the album, but by all means keep going with the insults and see how passive aggressive I can really get.

Ok, so you are disingenuous. No surprise.
11.03.2015 - 05:48
Machiavelli
Account deleted
Written by LeKiwi on 11.03.2015 at 05:45

Written by Guest on 11.03.2015 at 05:37

This all began when I read the idiotic lines of the reviewer "it's plain to hear that Psycroptic are going through the motions in this latest effort."

I agree that it wasn't a valid statement to make, but I think he meant to say it's plain to him. I'd let it slide

I would have let it slide if I didn't like the band as much.
11.03.2015 - 05:51
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Class act. By all means, keep antagonizing staff. This is getting fun.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
11.03.2015 - 05:51
Maco
Pvt Funderground
It almost seems that he is looking for the ban. Someone should grant his wish.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
11.03.2015 - 06:01
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
----

11.03.2015 - 06:04
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by psykometal on 11.03.2015 at 06:01

*boom goes for the dynamite*

You were too kind with him.
----
11.03.2015 - 06:07
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
It seems I got too late for the party here. =[

Anyway, huh... Nice review, yeah..
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
11.03.2015 - 06:08
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Oh dear...well, at least that's settled! And now...

Even as a Psycroptic fanboy, I'm with R'vannith on this one, especially with regards to the "filler prone end" starting on track 7 (although I loved the atmospheric ending to that song.) That said, this may be weak for a Psycroptic record, but as a sucker for groove and melody I can't help but place this above the swarm of mediocre tech death in recent years I'd give this a mid to high 7.
11.03.2015 - 06:10
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by Maco on 11.03.2015 at 06:04

You were too kind with him.

Eh. It's his first offense.
----

11.03.2015 - 06:11
Maco
Pvt Funderground
HE CHANGED HIS USERNAME hahahha.

This guy never stops.

/Lastofftopicpost

I never heard about this band before, but after reading the review and the "discussion", I might even try this album once.
----
11.03.2015 - 06:17
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Maco on 11.03.2015 at 06:11

I never heard about this band before, but after reading the review and the "discussion", I might even try this album once.

I implore you not to start with this album - The Scepter Of The Ancients is the way to go. If that doesn't work out for you, then go for their '08 or '12 release
11.03.2015 - 06:19
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by LeKiwi on 11.03.2015 at 06:17

I implore you not to start with this album - The Scepter Of The Ancients is the way to go. If that doesn't work out for you, then go for their '08 or '12 release

I will do it.
----
11.03.2015 - 07:25
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Holy cow! For a second I thought our ex-database manager turn staff Psyko lost it?!

But then...
11.03.2015 - 09:50
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
I miss ponderer...
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
11.03.2015 - 11:49
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha