Style: Black metal
Release date: January 2015

01. Najtir Ichik
02. Halhi K'ohba
03. Bonampak
04. Quetzalcoatl
05. Koyopa
06. Nawalik

It was the excited conversation in Metal Storm's very own shoutbox along with Mr. Doctor's enthusiastic review that brought me to this album. I must say, my initial impression was strong. I have been less than impressed by a lot of recent black metal I have heard, and I am especially wary of any from my own homeland of America. Yet Volahn managed to pique my interest enough to warrant closer inspection.

Those who have read my other reviews may be familiar with my 3 personal indices of a good album: enjoyability, innovation, and musicianship. However, I will have to tackle these simultaneously this time around, as they all have much to do with one thing: Taake. Those who have read up on Aq'Ab'Al or listened for themselves are likely aware of the guitar-driven qualities of the album. Jangly, infectious riffs abound, and an axe-guy like me will eat this up. But the melodies and guitar tone have a more than passing resemblance to early works from Hoest.

Now, first and foremost, I put that forward as a compliment. Nattestid? happens to be one of my favorite later 2nd wave BM albums. More importantly to Volahn's credit, the level of emotion and conviction in the music is something that not even Taake has been able to recreate in many years. I feel an overwhelming sadness listening to these tunes, but not at the expense of the pace and fury. The blastbeats are still plenty capable of bringing one to their feet.

Also similar is the production. It has some grit - which to me is all but required of a good BM album - yet Aq'Ab'Al is still extremely accessible in its beauty. Volahn use some interesting effects, Spanish-influenced acoustic guitar, and even bird sounds to add to the already deep atmosphere. These are things that do help to pull me away from the comparisons I was frequently making. Unfortunately, things get a little repetitive about halfway through the album for me. The songs each feature riffs that are unique, but similar enough in quality and character to cause things to run together. Repeat listens didn't offer much change in this respect.

Ultimately, my impression of the album is a mixed bag. I appreciate the guitar focus and feeling, but am constantly wanting to put on Nattestid. I love the non-traditional instrumentation, but feel overall compositions are slightly repetitious. As always, this is a decision you should make for yourself. The performances from every instrument are strong, but a little more zest to the songwriting and this could have easily been a 9 or higher. At very least, I will be watching to see what Volahn does next.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written by flightoficarus | 08.03.2015

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
X-Ray Rod
Rating:
The Black Twilight Circle? They are onto something. Something good. Something unique.

Read more ››
published 18.02.2015 | Comments (9)

Comments

Comments: 14   Visited by: 64 users
08.03.2015 - 02:49
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Good review. Brings a different point of view.

Now wait for your fans Lit. and Fearmeister so they can tell you to stop reviewing because nobody cares.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
08.03.2015 - 03:06
Rating: 8
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Maco on 08.03.2015 at 02:49

Good review. Brings a different point of view.

Now wait for your fans Lit. and Fearmeister so they can tell you to stop reviewing because nobody cares.

Thanks Maco. Lol yeah, I can't wait to hear what Mr. I've Written A Whopping Three Reviews Therefore My Opinion Is God has to say.

On a more important note, I think this was a solid album...just not quite as goid as say A Forest of Stars or Death Karma.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
08.03.2015 - 03:22
Rating: 9
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
How this sounds even remotely close to this I'll leave for someone else to comment on, because I simply can't hear it. Believe me, I tried. Hard.

But I can't seem to agree even a little with you. The songwriting already is way too different. Even if we throw away all the acoustic and bird thingy. It's too different. Built with very different backgrounds. Taake is still too traditional. The only thing they have in common apart from the genre is the fact that both bands like having some melody on their leads. But I can say that about many others bm bands. Taake hasn't created songs that are almost builed around improvisation. Scandinavian BM as a whole (with exceptions of course) is too traditional for that with very solid and well defined structures which this album completely lacks. And that's just about the leads. The riffs are even more different.

Leaving the songwriting and to the production. Again. I'm not hearing it, specially when you compared it to Nattentid, it feels incredibly random as Nattentid sounds far more noisy and colder in sound whereas Aq'Ab'Al has a more warmer and very bassy sound on their riffs with very few highs where everything is far clearer. The way the leads pop out is also very different as the ones hear really stand out on the front while with Taake they are still most of the time at the same level with the riffs and drums.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Take no offence as I intend none: But I seriously question people's ears when I read/hear these kinds of comparisons. We obviously have VERY different points of view about production and songwriting. At least in black metal.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.03.2015 - 06:16
Lit.
Account deleted
Meh, Doctor's review is better.

SO SAYETH I, THE KING OF ALL THAT IS ACCURATE AND TRUE. I, THE LORD OF GOOD MUSIC AND THE ONE WHO BEQUEATH THE TITLES OF MEDIOCRITY TO THOSE WHO DESERVETH. SO SAYETH I, WHO IS NEVER WRONG, AND EVERYONE ELSE, WHO MUST DEAL WITH IT BECAUSE THEY SUCK.
08.03.2015 - 07:06
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by X-Ray Rod on 08.03.2015 at 03:22

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Take no offence as I intend none.

I get in a lot of arguments over these comparisons, but I hear what I hear. I agree that there are numerous qualities that differ between them, but as someone who plays the guitar and finds my ears drawn to almost isolating its sounds, there is plenty similarity within the choice of distortion, the strumming patterns and style, the scale choices, etc. There is definitely an added effect from everything else that makes this different. Either way, this is why I always end my reviews encouraging people to listen for themselves rather than just taking my pontifications for any sort of gospel. 7.8 is still a good score.
----
08.03.2015 - 10:44
Zap
Noticing some Taake influence is one thing, but writing a whole review based around a comparison between both artists seems a bit much. I don't hear it.
08.03.2015 - 11:59
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by flightoficarus on 08.03.2015 at 07:06
7.8 is still a good score.

You could have scored it a 10 and my answer above would have been the same. I never cared for numbers that much.
----
Rod, let me love you.
08.03.2015 - 16:21
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by X-Ray Rod on 08.03.2015 at 11:59

Written by flightoficarus on 08.03.2015 at 07:06
7.8 is still a good score.

You could have scored it a 10 and my answer above would have been the same. I never cared for numbers that much.

This is very true.
----
08.03.2015 - 16:23
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Zap on 08.03.2015 at 10:44

Noticing some Taake influence is one thing, but writing a whole review based around a comparison between both artists seems a bit much. I don't hear it.

Et tu, Brute?
----
08.03.2015 - 16:40
Zap
Written by flightoficarus on 08.03.2015 at 16:23

Et tu, Brute?

Next time, keep these comparisons for yourself if you don't want people to disagree
08.03.2015 - 23:00
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 08.03.2015 at 06:16

SO SAYETH I, THE KING OF ALL THAT IS ACCURATE AND TRUE. I, THE LORD OF GOOD MUSIC AND THE ONE WHO BEQUEATH THE TITLES OF MEDIOCRITY TO THOSE WHO DESERVETH. SO SAYETH I, WHO IS NEVER WRONG, AND EVERYONE ELSE, WHO MUST DEAL WITH IT BECAUSE THEY SUCK.

Metalstorm.net in three sentences
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
10.03.2015 - 15:38
Erik M.

I never cared for numbers that much.

And yet you studied math.
10.03.2015 - 16:03
Rating: 5
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Erik M. on 10.03.2015 at 15:38

I never cared for numbers that much.

There are no numbers in math, just letters and symbols
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
10.03.2015 - 18:03
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Erik M. on 10.03.2015 at 15:38

Bah, you know what I was talking about.
Written by Karlabos on 10.03.2015 at 16:03
There are no numbers in math, just letters and symbols

When it comes to the purest kind, yes. Which is the one I studied.
----
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 2078 | This month: 10