03. Crows
04. The Old Ways
05. The Frugivores
06. Enter The Grove
07. Under The Rising Moon
08. The Pillars Of Creation
09. A Devil's Unweaving
10. The Moonbeam Road

With Wilderun on the precipice of their sophomore album and Thrawsunblat probably doing something kick-ass right this very second, North American folk metal is alive and well. Aw, hell, let's go ahead and make it a trio. New Yorkers Yonder Realm have just released a sweet debut.

While their lyrics aren't quite as New World-centric as their aforementioned brothers and sisters, The Old Ways is so good that, as an American, I really want to make sure we get credit for it. Kidding. But still, lovers of folk metal from any country should hop on this.

The Old Ways is melodic with excellent rhythms and almost exclusively harsh vocals; very Ensiferum-esque in that regard. The (real) violin and (synthesized) flute of Dana Lengel play a huge role in creating the successful atmosphere. It's how she uses that violin to make the rhythms so hypnotic, especially in later tracks such as "The Pillars Of Creation," that make this what it is. The warmth of the stings blends such into the harsh guitars and vocals that the result is, well, I'll say this: the music seems very straightforward at first but those surprises are tucked away in every corner and easily appreciated by the attentive listener. Every spin of this record reveals a new treat, or lets your ear focus on a different instrument and experience the journey through another set of eyes.

One of my favorite tunes may be "The Frugivores"; it really caught my attention and includes a jovial sing-along chorus. Very fun with excellent energy. As if they knew this would be a favorite track, "Enter The Grove" follows and is an interesting and well-placed interlude. It builds suspense and copiously creates anticipation for the second half of the album, which, I daresay, is better than the first.

I can't help but ache a little but for a clean male backing vocalist to round out the melodies, just in a small way; perhaps a line or two sung before some of the choruses or during a bridge or two. Nothing more, and not even on all songs. Just a small thing of beauty on which the ear may drop anchor and yearn for more. Well, ask and ye shall receive. Later in "A Devil's Unweaving" we're tantalized with a far-off clean male voice providing that small complement of melody. Not exactly what I had in mind but it works and I'll take it!

Closer "The Moonbeam Road" also features this far-off voice and this a beautiful track is a supremely adequate finale. The beauty transcends the ever-aggressive vocals and exposes a delicacy within.

The Old Ways was initially self released by the band in August of 2014, before receiving an official release by Maple Metal Records on February 14, 2015.

Written on 07.03.2015 by Susan appreciates quality metal regardless of sub-genre. Metal Storm Staff since 2006.

Twitter: @HeavyMetalSusan

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 64 users
10.03.2015 - 05:47
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Great debut.

But, lot has been resembled to Eluveitie style of playing than Ensiferum 'cause latter sounds more softer on folk instruments. Here, Yonder Realm just enhanced b'ground folk music just like Eluveitie does everytime and bought superb changes upfront.

My rating would be the same. 8/10
14.03.2015 - 02:08
Rating: 6
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
There's clean vocals in the 2nd song. A bit Midnight Odyssey-like. Backing vocals in songs 4 and 10, too.
Sounds rather melodeathy at times. The Pillars Of Creation is the best song by a long way.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
14.03.2015 - 20:18
Susan
Smeghead
Written by M C Vice on 14.03.2015 at 02:08

There's clean vocals in the 2nd song. A bit Midnight Odyssey-like. Backing vocals in songs 4 and 10, too.
Sounds rather melodeathy at times. The Pillars Of Creation is the best song by a long way.

I'm glad you listened to this Yes, there are a few seconds of clean vocals in songs 2 and 4, but they are so minor and brief. In songs 9 and 10 they actually play a role, though a small supporting one.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
19.04.2015 - 22:49
Rating: 7
Lionthrone

Written by M C Vice on 14.03.2015 at 02:08

I agree with Pillars of Creation. The only song on the album I'd give a 5 star rating to. It really jams.

Hits total: 4094 | This month: 18