03. Painted Skies
04. Masque Of The Red Death
05. In Dark Places
06. Where Dragons Rule
07. Lonely
08. Burning Bridges
09. Eternal World
10. Transcendence

Well, what can be said about this album? It is truly hard for me to put into words what Transcendence really is. Being released in the same year as some of metals most cherished masterpieces of all time like, for example, Queensrÿche's Operation: Mindcrime or Helloween's Keepr Of The Seven Keys Pt. II, this Crimson Glory gem was really overlooked, despite the high ratings.

The album boasts 10 tracks; Now, normally, I would highlight the best songs of the release, but in this case it is frankly impossible as all of them truly are equally magnificent, and magnificent is an understatement. Midnight's (R.I.P.) out-of-this-world vocals linger in one's mind and haunt their dreams forever after hearing the very first song, which is "Lady Of Winter." The voice of this prodigy of a singer is something unreal, mesmerizing the listeners with its incomparable high-pitch screams. Midnight's outstanding work on Transcendence understandably shadows the effort of other members of the band, but Jon Drenning's and Ben Jackson's guitar riffs, melodies and solos are so breathtaking that they are never left unnoticed. The fact that the drumming is a combination of live and sample versions does not affect the sound at all. Plus, the production is more than satisfying.

Furthermore, I would like to point out that the 10-track Transcendence is a perfect blend of fast songs and slower ballads. Take, for example, the extremely melodic "Lonely" and then the energetic "Red Sharks." The latter one is based on political motives, while "Lonely" speaks of a persons inner feelings, love, and sleepless nights. Furthermore, some songs on the album tell us about mythical creatures and fantasy, an example being "Where Dragons Rule." In conclusion, lyrically, Transcendence is very diverse, which makes it even more attractive.

I don't know what else to say other than it's an absolute bliss to listen to this celestial music. It is a must-have for any metalhead out there, as this 1988 Crimson Glory masterpiece truly is one of the finest releases in the history of the genre. If Transcendence is not a perfect album, then I don't know what is.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 9

Written by Jagermeister | 16.03.2015

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 101 users
17.03.2015 - 15:55
Crucial BarBQ

I've been a lurker here for at least 5 years but had to sign up to say "thank you." Holy crap was this such an amazing album (and still is). Growing up on typical 80's fare of Duran Duran, Culture Club and the like and moving into Naked Raygun, 7 Seconds, Misfits and even Public Enemy, EPMD and the rest of the great Punk and Golden Era of Hip Hop, I always skipped out on metal. I thought Megadeth were posers compared to my Broken Bones...until I met my friend Mike in the Freshmen year of high school. We traded some tapes and he gave me Helloween - Keeper Part 1, Death - Spiritual Healing and Crimson Glory - Transcendence.

I had always at least respected Iron Maiden and my favorite band Suicidal Tendencies were moving over to the metal side at this time so I just think I was ready. Helloween and Crimson Glory literally blew me away, the melody, the musicianship and those vocals...like nothing I'd ever heard and I was hooked. I wore the shit out of those tapes, lol and remember thinking on the song Red Sharks that he was screaming "Red Sauce" the way it was sung, haha.

Thanks for giving this what it so deserves and thank you for bringing it back to my attention, it never really left but I sure had forgotten...I'm gonna go now and download this album, hope iTunes has it !
18.03.2015 - 01:09
Rating: 10
maged918

Great review for a truly perfect album
18.03.2015 - 13:33
Rating: 10
Jagermeister

Thanks guys! Glad you liked it My first ever review on MS!
----
But don't you ever get lost in Necropolis?
03.04.2015 - 21:32
FelixtheMetalcat

Written by Crucial BarBQ on 17.03.2015 at 15:55

I've been a lurker here for at least 5 years but had to sign up to say "thank you." Holy crap was this such an amazing album (and still is). Growing up on typical 80's fare of Duran Duran, Culture Club and the like and moving into Naked Raygun, 7 Seconds, Misfits and even Public Enemy, EPMD and the rest of the great Punk and Golden Era of Hip Hop, I always skipped out on metal. I thought Megadeth were posers compared to my Broken Bones...until I met my friend Mike in the Freshmen year of high school. We traded some tapes and he gave me Helloween - Keeper Part 1, Death - Spiritual Healing and Crimson Glory - Transcendence.

I had always at least respected Iron Maiden and my favorite band Suicidal Tendencies were moving over to the metal side at this time so I just think I was ready. Helloween and Crimson Glory literally blew me away, the melody, the musicianship and those vocals...like nothing I'd ever heard and I was hooked. I wore the shit out of those tapes, lol and remember thinking on the song Red Sharks that he was screaming "Red Sauce" the way it was sung, haha.

Thanks for giving this what it so deserves and thank you for bringing it back to my attention, it never really left but I sure had forgotten...I'm gonna go now and download this album, hope iTunes has it !

Welcome BACK to the metal world !

Yeah, this is a classic album that i also sorta ignored back then due to those ridiculous masks this band was wearing. Heard the tune Lonely as well as Red Sharks one day & got this album immediately. It's not only a great 80's album, but still sounds awesome today, the melodic guitar work really shining here.

Hits total: 5401 | This month: 15