Found in 4 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 7   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 64 users
19.03.2015 - 16:36
Rating: 4
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
This could absolutely not be any more generic.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
15.04.2015 - 01:15
Rating: 8
Ilham
Giant robot
And yet far better than most the releases of the genre this year. That opening to "The World Engine" and "Dead Planet" <3.
15.04.2015 - 01:22
Uldreth

Written by Ilham on 15.04.2015 at 01:15

And yet far better than most the releases of the genre this year. That opening to "The World Engine" and "Dead Planet" <3.

Despite me writing this off early on, I came to the same conclusion. The two albums after Depths was unlistenable for me (Depths, however "generic" it was, had a quite claustrophobic atmosphere with those wailing high pitched atmospheric riffs amidst the junz, as well as the murky production) but the "trendy" djent elements in this are actually quite well done, and the synths (or are they guitar riffs? I cannot discern) also add some fun mood elements. Plus I always dug the vocalist of this band. Well done, Oceano, this is a fun and unpretentious album, and I could not give two fucks if this isn't "original".
15.04.2015 - 01:29
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Uldreth on 15.04.2015 at 01:22

Despite me writing this off early on, I came to the same conclusion. The two albums after Depths was unlistenable for me (Depths, however "generic" it was, had a quite claustrophobic atmosphere with those wailing high pitched atmospheric riffs amidst the junz, as well as the murky production) but the "trendy" djent elements in this are actually quite well done, and the synths (or are they guitar riffs? I cannot discern) also add some fun mood elements. Plus I always dug the vocalist of this band. Well done, Oceano, this is a fun and unpretentious album, and I could not give two fucks if this isn't "original".

Very well described. I too was talking after a firstish impression, but indeed, those vocals sometimes are just so powerful it lifts everything up. I might be "short-memoried" but I don't remember any, or at least this much, djenty things and synths (we'll call them that for now) in Incisions, even if I just listened to it like two months ago. I haven't tried anything before these two latest releases, and you tell me Depths is much better? I'm going to be all over that album then.
15.04.2015 - 01:37
Uldreth

Written by Ilham on 15.04.2015 at 01:29

Written by Uldreth on 15.04.2015 at 01:22

Very well described. I too was talking after a first impression, but indeed, those vocals sometimes are just so powerful it lifts everything up. I might be "short-memoried" but I don't remember any, or at least this much, djenty things and synths (we'll call them that for now) in Incisions, even if I just listened to it like two months ago. I haven't tried anything before these two latest releases, and you tell me Depths is much better? I'm going to be all over that album then.

Nah, the djent riffs and synths are new to Ascendants as far as I recall. Depths and this are on about the same level for me. Depths is less varied though, but has very good production and a strangly dark, claustrophobic mood that prevents it from being unremarkable. I don't get bored listening to it, even though by all accounts, it should be boring. Check out District of Misery and the title track, if interested.
15.04.2015 - 01:49
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Uldreth on 15.04.2015 at 01:37

Nah, the djent riffs and synths are new to Ascendants as far as I recall. Depths and this are on about the same level for me. Depths is less varied though, but has very good production and a strangly dark, claustrophobic mood that prevents it from being unremarkable. I don't get bored listening to it, even though by all accounts, it should be boring. Check out District of Misery and the title track, if interested.

Okay, that perhaps explains why I liked this much more than the previous. I'll get to Depths soon, it's the best time to listen to it since this one is fresh in my memory. Thanks for the rec', as always .
29.04.2015 - 04:41
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by flightoficarus on 19.03.2015 at 16:36

This could absolutely not be any more generic.

I would actually argue that Oceano have always had a slight ambient, or at least "vacant" sounding edge to their music which allows them to stand out from the majority of deathcore. I haven't listened to this album yet, but the band's debut was an excellent example of how to keep a stale genre sounding at least somewhat fresh, and Contagion and Incisions were at least decent.

Hits total: 2853 | This month: 10