06. My Walden
07. Endless Forms Most Beautiful
08. Edema Ruh
09. Alpenglow
10. The Eyes Of Sharbat Gula
11. The Greatest Show On Earth
12. Sagan [bonus]

Short answer: Yeah, it's really great.

Long answer: The music is sumptuous and lovely, larger than life, and whisking us away on journey after journey. It's a sweet album of awesome songs, and doesn't try to be some over the top attempt at grandly announcing a new era for the band. It's simply a great album. And that was a smart move.

With still more stories to tell, Tuomas and Company introduce two new members and a host of new sounds at their disposal. Songs flow into each other deliciously, and this record could easily be introducing old fans to new favorite songs.

But who cares, right? Get to the vocals.

Greetings fans of ReVamp, After Forever, Star One, etc., Leave your expectations at the door. Better yet, destroy them entirely. Welcome to the cosmic and fantastic world of Nightwish and get ready to love a new side of the goddess Floor Jansen.

She's not balls-out 100% of the time like we're used to hearing. Something new is in the forefront: storytelling. Let yourself go along with her to the edges of the earth and beyond to new fantastic landscapes. Listen as she savors words, deliciously delivers poetic phrases, and uses her vast vocal tools to take you with her for every note.

And it's not all just pretty singing about pretty places. The dark "Weak Fantasy" has become one of my favorite tracks and can I just say, Floor sounds fierce on this chorus. It juxtaposes two sides of her voice nicely and allows her to really lean into a more versatile delivery. And this song is just the first example.

Some (most everyone) will accuse Tuomas of not utilizing this absolute gift of her powerful voice, and I admit I began with that same frustrated and confused mindset. Then I remembered how, several years ago, Floor discussed her excitement to explore new vocal styles on the first ReVamp album, as well as expressing in other subsequent interviews this same joy of exploring different and softer sides of her voice. You gotta remember: Floor's default setting is Balls To The Wall. It's goddamn 11 when she opens her mouth. Most singers work for years to achieve 40% of what she does so naturally. Maybe she craves the challenge of pulling back, finding the soft and sweet side, the lows, the hushed serenade, as well as an even harsher side.

Don't worry too much: she still lets loose from time to time. But I've come to greatly enjoy many of her beautiful experiments here, even if it's not the powerful beast with whom we've danced before.

The ever-so-slightly less famous other new member, Troy Donockley, really shines on folk-oriented "My Walden," which opens with his vocals before featuring his pipes in splendid fashion. This song showcases the same sweeping orchestrations as many other tracks, and is thus fitting in context, yet the diversion down such a solidly folk music path is a welcome exploration.

It's worth noting that all three vocalists fit impeccably together. It's rare to find such voices that blend so well while still maintaining their individual strengths.

There are a few distinctly "Dead Gardens" chugging riffs and it's nice to hear them, I must admit. With all the beauty and the sweeping orchestrations that are packed into this record, the heaviness and slight crunch keep it grounded.

It's not all roses, however. Let's discuss the downsides.

You all know how much I loathe spoke word and unfortunately we're not only greeted with an opening narrator but also graced with a HUGE monologue in the 25:00 closer. I hate spoken word on metal albums, you know I do. But what do I hate more? Oh, yes, there is one thing. So, there I was rocking out to this awesome record and then

it

happened.

Children's chorus. No.... I just can't.

Please never put a children's chorus on any albums that aren't being sold exclusively to their PTA.

There's also a few times when Tuomas mails it in, composition-wise. Like that painfully awkward key change around 4:00 of "Alpenglow" that sounds like your record needle suddenly jumped and skipped half the song, and the just terrible text setting in the beginning of the title track. No, you don't emphasize the word "THE" by itself. Twice. Seriously, dude. That's like vocal arranging 101. Schubert is rolling over in his grave.

Pretty moderate complaints amidst so much to love. In the end, everyone will come up with their own flaws; it's the cost of success. With more fans come more critics. However, as a devoted Floor fan who initially didn't love this album but was very, very quickly won over, I'm confident this kick-ass record can earn your love on its own. The inherent catchiness in much of this album wormed its way into my heart. Enjoy letting it into yours.

Written on 25.03.2015 by Susan appreciates quality metal regardless of sub-genre. Metal Storm Staff since 2006.

Twitter: @HeavyMetalSusan

Guest review by
Metren
Rating:
Some bands keep evolving and some don't. Those bands that change their style or genre or - most importantly - change their approach towards songwriting itself are sometimes heavily criticized, and at times rightfully so. Not all change is good and change for the sake of change is pointless for obvious reasons.

However...

Doing the same thing over and over again for five albums is even more pointless. How ironic is it that Nightwish's least original album is inspired by the writings of the father of evolutionary biology? And how unfortunate is it that the inclusion of two new capable musicians to the band has left Holopainen so uninspired?

Read more ››
published 10.10.2015 | Comments (14)

Comments

Comments: 57   Visited by: 824 users
25.03.2015 - 05:54
Rating: 7
Jiri

First comment! Great review; though I still haven't heard it yet. I hope to experience the same elation you do about it, though I must admit I am a little scared...
25.03.2015 - 05:56
Rating: 8
Susan
Smeghead
Written by Jiri on 25.03.2015 at 05:54

First comment! Great review; though I still haven't heard it yet. I hope to experience the same elation you do about it, though I must admit I am a little scared...

Dude, I was too. Terrified, perhaps. It'll be OK
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
25.03.2015 - 06:11
Rating: 6
The Melting Snow

Not overly impressed by the review, seems like biased praise of Floor, while for me the most disappointing part of the album are the vocals. As i've said before, even Anette (or some pop/country singer too) could've delivered this much, why kick her out?
25.03.2015 - 08:48
hellbent

I think promises kept by the band..team nightwish are really talented and beautiful musicians.first listen may not work for some listeners but you will find it hard to let it go..this a great album i will not compare it with the previous albums coz EFMB is really a different album..floor wins all the doubts..nightwish camp will be happy and have a good time ahead.CMON COB we are waiting
25.03.2015 - 10:22
Night Theater

Susan, you said: "There's also a few times when Tuomas mails it in"

Did you mean nails? I don't get it. Never heard that term before.
25.03.2015 - 10:47
lingus99

First listen I was a little disappointed, expecially in the lack of power shown by Floor. But I think anticipation and eagerness got the better of me and I gave it more time. Taking it running when I use my music to help me keep pace (and actually moving to be honest), my opinion has been swayed. Still not the grand smack in the face I got from Once when I first found the band, but pretty amazing all the same. I'm not a fan of the spoken word parts either, and feel that many Nightwish songs have been ruined by it. But this is a small complaint.

Roll on Wembley!
25.03.2015 - 12:24
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
I really fail to see what is great in this album. With the exception of 2-3 tracks, there is nothing memorable in it. Even the Anette albums had more memorable tunes than this one has. The vocals are heavily restrained, it does not put into value the vocal abilities of Floor at all, and I feel like this album was made with Anette's vocal performance in mind rather than Floor's. Marco's contribution has diminished drasticaly, few interventions and those aren't anything amazing. For me this is probably the weakest album ever made by Nightwish. Not to mention the boring 20+ minute track where like half of it nothing happens (plus the 6 minute intro). Seriously, this is 6 material at best, not 8.5... for 8.5 you need to put at least something quality-wise like Once or Century Child.
25.03.2015 - 13:01
Didymus

It's not even about the vocals for me, the compositions are just so bland. In 80% of the songs you can predict the entire melody/chord progression of a verse or a chorus without any effort at all. Even if Floor's vocals would've been more powerful and versatile, that still wouldn't have elevated the compositions.

I don't even see why Tuomas bothered to write songs like the abysmally unoriginal My Walden, Endless Forms Most Beautiful, Edema Ruh (this one is particularly bad) and Alpenglow, I mean seriously, they add NOTHING to Nightwish' discograpy.

Huge disappointment. There's no excuse for playing it safe when you have that much talent in a band.
25.03.2015 - 14:10
Ismarmlp

Mmm... Endless Forms Most Beautiful is mediocre...
25.03.2015 - 14:28
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by Didymus on 25.03.2015 at 13:01

I don't even see why Tuomas bothered to write songs like the abysmally unoriginal My Walden, Endless Forms Most Beautiful, Edema Ruh (this one is particularly bad) and Alpenglow, I mean seriously, they add NOTHING to Nightwish' discograpy.

I think "My Walden" is one of the better tracks on this record, together with "Shudder Before The Beautiful" and "Yours Is An Empty Hope". I agree that the rest you mentioned are very weak ones... seriously, when I read the review I feel like I listened to an entirely different album.
25.03.2015 - 14:53
bddidier

I can not disagree more with this review . I am not at all impressed by Floor vocals on this album. As it was said before why wasting so much talents to produce a bland, almost pop album. I do not see the point of the 24 minutes song either. Since Once (a good album in my book) Nightwish has only produced bland and unoriginal material. Not really bad but transparent.
25.03.2015 - 15:53
Vurlok92
Account deleted
I couldn't possibly disagree more with the review. This is the weakest album made by Nightwish. Floor's vocals are completely unexploited. And since I'm probably the only one here who thinks that Imaginaerum was the best album of Nightwish, I can't even put into the words how much this album differs from Imaginaerum or DPP and how disappointed I am. I expected, at least, the last song be decent, but it wasn't. There are some good parts in it, but the whole impression was just bad, as well as the impression on the album.

By the way, has anyone else noticed how similar that part of The Greatest Show On Earth when Floor starts singing and Sleepwalker sound or is it just me?
25.03.2015 - 17:17
Didymus

Written by Guest on 25.03.2015 at 15:53

By the way, have anyone else noticed how similar that part of The Greatest Show On Earth when Floor starts singing and Sleepwalker sound or is it just me?

I noticed. The Sleepwalker verses.
That's another thing about the album, it's like an endless series of self-copying, from melodies to riffs, to arrangements of entire songs. Another annoying copy is the children's choir in Sharbat Gula which is like a For the Heart I Once Had orchestral version. Alpenglow's string melody is like a slowed down Sahara, Yours Is an Empty Hope is Master Passion Greed + Cadence, Shuddering is Dark Chest + Storytime + Song of Myself etc. etc. Very frustrating. The only song that sounds relatively original is Our Decades in the Sun.
25.03.2015 - 18:14
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Susan, you are my LIEK my favourite reviewer on MS. Like seriously. And that because our musical tastes differ so much and I (usually) don't want to listen the albums you review, but every single time I start reading one of your writtings, you enchant me with your writing style and I just HAVE TO read it all. Don't care about the album, love the review!
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
25.03.2015 - 19:07
PocketMetal

Nice review, a bit too much praise for Floor ... I love her voice on this record tho. And I'm glad I don't have to cringe on every single chorus like I did in the two previous albums.
It's a nice and easy album, not too much Methul and not too many ballads. I could do without Our Decades In The Sun though, there's a huge drop in energy after "Yours is an Empty Hope". Anyway, I've listened to this more than 10 times already and it's a good listen, I'm satisfied.
25.03.2015 - 19:23
Vurlok92
Account deleted
Written by Didymus on 25.03.2015 at 17:17

Written by Guest on 25.03.2015 at 15:53

By the way, have anyone else noticed how similar that part of The Greatest Show On Earth when Floor starts singing and Sleepwalker sound or is it just me?

I noticed. The Sleepwalker verses.
That's another thing about the album, it's like an endless series of self-copying, from melodies to riffs, to arrangements of entire songs. Another annoying copy is the children's choir in Sharbat Gula which is like a For the Heart I Once Had orchestral version. Alpenglow's string melody is like a slowed down Sahara, Yours Is an Empty Hope is Master Passion Greed + Cadence, Shuddering is Dark Chest + Storytime + Song of Myself etc. etc. Very frustrating. The only song that sounds relatively original is Our Decades in the Sun.

Yeah, exactly. The whole album sounds like something you've heard before.
Alpenglow is like a slowed down Sahara with a bit of Bye, Bye, Beautiful. And I agree with all the rest. Our Decades In The Sun was, in fact, the only song I KINDA liked. Except that choir in the very beginning of the song and somewhere in the middle of the song. But even that one sounded like something from Tuomas' solo album, to be honest.
25.03.2015 - 19:36
mariano

The only thing I agree with this review is the complaint about children choruses.

The album isn't terrible, it's just average and has plenty of forgettable songs... Floor doesn't make it up either. I liked better her performance in the prior live album.

One thing I don't get is, how they keep reusing the same guitar riff from Dark Chest of Wonders (with some small variations) This time they used it in like 3 songs, just to demonstrate the lack of inspiration on this album.
25.03.2015 - 21:48
The Melting Snow

The thing about Nightwish that surprises me most is how each band member's performance has drastically declined instead of improving with time.

I mean, compositions may differ, music style may change but never have I seen a guitarist get worse with every passing album, it's like he cant write a memorable riff or solo anymore. Oceanborn and Wishmaster had some great guitar lines. since then it's been a steep downhill ride. take a look at Within Temptation, even though their style has changed, at least their albums have a couple of riffs and solos that you can listen to again, compared to the first 3 albums where the guitars were used for just rhythms. Same for Epica.

The drummer cant play anymore.

Same goes with the keyboards. and lyrics. Seems like instead of improving their skills, the band's focus has shifted to how to keep increasing the fanbase.
25.03.2015 - 21:54
The Melting Snow

It was great when their lyrics were about deep rooted, loud emotions, sorrow, hope with a touch of fantasy to add color.

Now it's all a wannabe attempt at creating an adventure filled fairytale landscape. hollow and forgettable.
25.03.2015 - 22:49
Ivor
Staff
Written by The Melting Snow on 25.03.2015 at 21:48

Small detail but the drummer is different on this album.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
26.03.2015 - 00:28
moe5512

Uhm, Did you just say that Kai Hahto can't play the drums?
26.03.2015 - 00:45
The Melting Snow

Written by moe5512 on 26.03.2015 at 00:28

Uhm, Did you just say that Kai Hahto can't play the drums?

Oh i know the drummer is different. Fan of Kai. I meant Jukka cant play the drums anymore.
26.03.2015 - 02:03
kingeryck

Seeing them live next month. Not sure how I feel about Floor yet.
26.03.2015 - 05:07
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

I have to disagree with the review. This album sounded uninspired to me. I'd expect songs like this from a newcomer symphonic metal band, but not Nightwish. It might grow on me over time, but after a decent number of spins I am feeling let down. I'd give it a 6.5-7/10 for the time being.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
26.03.2015 - 07:27
Susan
Smeghead
Written by deadone on 26.03.2015 at 03:17

Thanks for a well written review.

Though it's interesting in that this didn't read like a review for a metal album. It really reads like a review for anything but metal! Indeed "sumptuous, lovely, pretty singing, beautiful experiments" read like something associated with Dido or Adele or Kimbra. And much like something like Dido or Adele or Kimbra, the references to instrumental/non-vocal components are minimal as the vocals dominate and instruments are backing tracks.

Very interesting comment - and I do agree! The metal elements are not dominant here; the symphonic elements are. The metal is still part of the package, and there are certainly some heavy & crunch riffs, but they're no longer the most important part as they were in the past.

Also, Floor has been the main topic of discussion leading up to this album release, with many fans wondering how she'd fit and sound with Nightwish. To not discuss that in the review would have been ignoring the huge elephant in the room.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
26.03.2015 - 08:40
Joe Zombie

I find this album to be very average unfortunately. Edema Ruh is a nice track. That's about it for me. I'll give it another spin before I rate it.
26.03.2015 - 08:44
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Regarding the spoken word part(s), are we talking about another Song Of Myself, where half of the song is a pointless, rambling spoken part?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
26.03.2015 - 10:33
garmling
Account deleted
I remember back in the day I kind of liked first few albums of theirs... I've never been a fan of them, but I thought they sounded fresh and unique! I've heard few song from their 21th century albums, but can't recall any of them?! I read this review and decided to hear what they're up to now... My, my, wtf is this? A cliche in every single way! Nothing new, nothing exciting, nothing worth mentiong! This is folkish pop music with digital guitars and drums like they've been played with synthesizers (with this I want to point out how awfully sterile and weak production and mixing job has been done)!

The thing about Nightwish that surprises me most is how each band member's performance has drastically declined instead of improving with time.

And this sums it up perfectly! I agree 100%!
26.03.2015 - 11:37
PocketMetal

Written by M C Vice on 26.03.2015 at 08:44

Regarding the spoken word part(s), are we talking about another Song Of Myself, where half of the song is a pointless, rambling spoken part?

All spoken parts are done by Richard Dawkins, a very short one at the beginning and a longer one in the closer song. The closer is 25 minutes and the final 6-7 minutes aren't really anything, but the speech part is still short I guess.
26.03.2015 - 13:01
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by PocketMetal on 26.03.2015 at 11:37

Written by M C Vice on 26.03.2015 at 08:44

All spoken parts are done by Richard Dawkins, a very short one at the beginning and a longer one in the closer song. The closer is 25 minutes and the final 6-7 minutes aren't really anything, but the speech part is still short I guess.

So, not another 6 minute spoken part, than?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"

Hits total: 26731 | This month: 29