Metal Storm logo
R.I.P. Immortal: Best To Worst

With Immortal finished for the foreseeable future, it seems relevant to look back on their stellar catalog and reflect on one of the best black thrash acts to ever grace the genre.

Created by: flightoficarus | 06.04.2015

1. Immortal - Sons Of Northern Darkness
Black metal had lost a lot of its original steam by the 2000's. With the exception of Enslaved, few of the early 2nd wave groups were still putting out anything worthwhile. Yet Immortal released one of their fastest, most consistently unrelenting albums yet in 2002 with live mainstays such as the title track, Tyrants, and On by One.
2. Immortal - Pure Holocaust
With 2nd wave BM in its prime, Immortal was decidedly thrashier than their peers. There was plenty of evil to be found in the Norway seen, but for riffs, Immortal was unmatched.
3. Immortal - At The Heart Of Winter
This is probably Immortal's "proggiest" release. Longer song lengths, increased melodic interludes, and a more polished sound could have spelled disaster for their kvlt status. Fortunately, this experiment is often argued to be their best album.
4. Immortal - Battles In The North
Following a similar sound and structure as Pure Holocaust, Battles in the North takes the riffs a step further, but at the expense of consistent drumming and song production. Tracks are memorable, but end so abruptly it takes one out of the experience.
5. Immortal - Damned In Black
Damned in Black is like side A to Sons in the Northern Darkness' side B. The only problem is that the latter just does it better. Still a stellar album, it often gets forgotten due the two monumental albums that it sits between.
6. Immortal - All Shall Fall
With modern BM groups emerging and peers either dying off or evolving, Immortal managed to stick to their roots with a whirling blizzard of icy, albeit simplified riffs.
7. Immortal - Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism
This debut is a historical monument in that it bears the markings of Burgen all over it. From the decidedly more Burzum vocals to the Darkthrone and Mayhem riffs and drumming, I almost feel what it was like to be part of that early scene.
8. Immortal - Blizzard Beasts
Immortal's one true misstep. It's not a horrible album, just a very forgettable affair. Production and tone strike me as odd while I couldn't hum a single riff off the top of my head.

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by flightoficarus ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 6   Visited by: 74 users
06.04.2015 - 16:53
Erik M.

Wait until Marcel sees #6 is not at #8.

I've only heard 2 albums so far, #1 and #3 on this list. And to me At the Heart of Winter easily beats the other one.
06.04.2015 - 17:05
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Erik M. on 06.04.2015 at 16:53

Wait until Marcel sees #6 is not at #8.

I've only heard 2 albums so far, #1 and #3 on this list. And to me At the Heart of Winter easily beats the other one.

I played with placing that at #1. They are both excellent for different reasons. I think I just find myself coming back to SoND more often.

Yeah, it's not just Marcel either, a lot of people seem to hate that album. I don't see it. I find it very enjoyable even if it feels dumbed down. It is extra stupid to me that people praise the Demonaz album while shunning ASF. I think the latter is the better album.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
06.04.2015 - 17:18
Erik M.

Written by flightoficarus on 06.04.2015 at 17:05

I played with placing that at #1. They are both excellent for different reasons. I think I just find myself coming back to SoND more often.

Yeah, it's not just Marcel either, a lot of people seem to hate that album. I don't see it. I find it very enjoyable even if it feels dumbed down. It is extra stupid to me that people praise the Demonaz album while shunning ASF. I think the latter is the better album.

Well, I only recently discovered SoND so I might change my mind about that album. Haven't heard All Shall Fall, but will check it out at some point.
06.04.2015 - 17:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
All Shall Fall I don't hate, but it is just immensely forgettable and pedestrian, totally uninspired and the lowpoint of the Immortal discography. It is on a par with the Demonaz album.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.04.2015 - 01:41
Lit.
Account deleted
#1: Sons Of The Northern Darkness, not At The Heart Of Winter.

23.04.2019 - 22:15
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
I guess this list is outdated now
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?

Hits total: 5375 | This month: 3