Metal Storm logo
Vital Remains - Release Statement About Crucifix Incident

Death metallers Vital Remains made the news this week after their vocalist Brian Werner entered an onstage dispute with a club owner at The Haven in Orlando. The video of the incident circulated online (and you can see it below). After seeing a cross hanging at the venue above the stage, Brian Werner removed it, which prompted the club owner to rush to the stage and grab the cross. Allegedly, the woman didn't leave the stage until the show ended. Brian Werner has now released a statement explaining that the club owner assaulted the band, and also security ended up removing them from the venue.

From Brian Werner: "In regards to the cross incident that happened at The Haven in Orlando I feel as though there was much misinformation floating around that I felt the need to respond. First of all this wasn't planned, this was a small club show and wasn't done as some sort of publicity stunt, honestly I didn't think this would have blown up as much as it did, I figured the incident was over once the show was ended.

"First of all I meant no disrespect to the club, that was never my intention. I was simply going to hold it in front of the crowd, make a joke about it, put it on the drum riser, continue the show, then replace it after we performed. My religious preclivities are quite well known and to be asked to perform under that symbol I find grossly offensive. I didn't even notice it before the show because I was at the hotel trying to recover form being in the emergency the night before, I didn't notice it until I was on stage. What if this would have been a Christian band that was asked to perform under a Baphomet or inverted cross? Their protest would be completely validated so why is it different when the roles are reversed? How about respect for us and our beliefs? More importantly how about the respect of our fans (who clearly agreed with us by their Fuck Jesus chants) that choose to buy tickets to see our performance because they know who we are and what we're about? How about their right to not have the show disrespected and interrupted by a woman charging the stage screaming at them and refusing to leave the stage? Besides this is not the first time she has done this, I remember she stormed the stage during another band's set (Catch Rag) and unplugged their amps in mid performance and threw them out. My inbox has been blowing up from other bands that have had similar experiences with her, so this wasn't an isolated incident, it's a pattern of behavior. Besides if she is so Christian then why were there flyers for 'Thy Antichrist' plastered all over the club? Clearly it's a blatant hypocrisy to stand on a religious soap box while inviting bands like these into their club to pay her bills as long as the fans spend their hard earned money there.

"After the show I was physically ejected by security and they told the fans they were not allowed to purchase merchandise, that didn't stop us I set up merch right outside. She then punched our new guitarist (who had nothing to do with the situation at all) in the back while he was loading gear. Not that is was threatening at all, but the fact that she was willing to take it to a physical level just shows her level of immaturity and unprofessionalism not ours. In closing was this whole incident stupid? Obviously it was. I meant no disrespect to the club or the promoter, I was simply going to take it down, make a joke out of it and replace it once the show was over. Apparently that was to much to ask from some people who don't understand the very basic liberty of free speech and religion. Yes there is a time and a place for free speech but if you can't express your free speech and thought through art then where can you?"

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Vital Remains
Posted: 11.04.2015 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 8   Visited by: 101 users
11.04.2015 - 17:26
Kass
Account deleted
11.04.2015 - 19:54
Scathach666

Poor christian excuses for human beeings all around
11.04.2015 - 19:59
Dinruth

By starting the 'fuck Jesus' chants, he prooved to be just as intolerant as the club owner, imo.
11.04.2015 - 20:34
Lit.
Account deleted
What a bunch of pissant weekend Satanists.
11.04.2015 - 20:58
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Dinruth on 11.04.2015 at 19:59

By starting the 'fuck Jesus' chants, he prooved to be just as intolerant as the club owner, imo.

I tend to agree with you on this. Both seemed to do unnecessary stuff. He didn't have to take the cross, it was her club after all and then she reacted. Easily avoided, just play the music the fans were there to see.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
11.04.2015 - 23:16
Dinruth

Written by Guest on 11.04.2015 at 20:34

What a bunch of pissant weekend Satanists.

12.04.2015 - 00:04
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Idiots... idiots everywhere... the club owner as well as these guys.
12.04.2015 - 01:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BloodTears on 11.04.2015 at 20:58

Written by Dinruth on 11.04.2015 at 19:59

I tend to agree with you on this. Both seemed to do unnecessary stuff. He didn't have to take the cross, it was her club after all and then she reacted. Easily avoided, just play the music the fans were there to see.

I agree its like make a film about prophet M saying he is homosexual, we saw riots in whole N Africa once, its like Nageral from behemoth totally unceceerly provocation, it gives to us metalheads bad name whit such act . IMO even neutral ppl might be pissed, beside its their money, they can be banned from that club, so ... IMO totally not neserly
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 2642 | This month: 7