Metal Storm logo
Nightwish - Hit #34 On Billboard US Chart

Finland-based symphonic metal masters Nightwish sold 18,342 copies of Endless Forms Most Beautiful in its first week of sales in the United States. The record hit # 34 on Billboard U.S. Top 200, making it the third time that Nightwish made the coveted chart. Their last full length release, the 2011 Imaginaerum, sold just under 12,600 copies in the United States in its first week of release.

Endless Forms Most Beautiful first-week chart positions in the US:

#34 Billboard Top 200 Albums
#23 Top Current Albums
#2 Independent Albums
#4 Top Hard Music Albums
#8 Top Current Rock Albums

Source: billboard.com
Band profile: Nightwish
Posted: 11.04.2015 by Ivan

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 12   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 166 users
11.04.2015 - 17:56
The Melting Snow

"If it's mainstream, it's not good enough"
11.04.2015 - 18:42
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Well there at 1st on the UK rock charts and 12th on the album chart.
11.04.2015 - 20:17
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

Of all the albums to do it, one of their worst. Oh well, I'm still happy for them.

PS - And ironic that this is the one to do it, since Tuomas has been crying about how much more common piracy has gotten and how it's destroying the music industry.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
11.04.2015 - 20:45
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by The Melting Snow on 11.04.2015 at 17:56

"If it's mainstream, it's not good enough"

like Iron Maiden...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

11.04.2015 - 22:00
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
What the fuck you mean by Hard Music Albums?
11.04.2015 - 22:34
Ellinor

Written by SoUnDs LiKe PoP on 11.04.2015 at 20:17

Of all the albums to do it, one of their worst. Oh well, I'm still happy for them.

PS - And ironic that this is the one to do it, since Tuomas has been crying about how much more common piracy has gotten and how it's destroying the music industry.

Agreed.
12.04.2015 - 01:25
bj_waters

Oh, I don't know if it's quite like that. I don't it requires as high of sales as it used to. I mean, Weird Al was able to take #1 with selling just 50,000 copies of his latest. That probably would even make Top 100 in the charts in the 80s when the record industry was at it's height.

Things have changed and people aren't as inclined to buy music like they used to, and this isn't saying "piracy is evil" or whatever. More and more people using streaming services for a lot of their entertainment, and music is heading that way as well. The idea of "owning" music ( or movies or whatever) might be considered more of a distinct hobby than something ubiquitous that everybody does.

Essentially, what I'm getting at is that charts like Billboard aren't as representative of what is "popular" as they used to be, and they are going to be more and more irrelevant as time passes and people start streaming more often than buying their music. Congrats to Nightwish and all, but (as much as I loved seeing Weird Al get #1) getting a good position on Billboard just isn't as hard as it used to be. Sure, pop stars will get their millions, but it certainly doesn't happen as much as it used to.
12.04.2015 - 01:54
sbgmetal

News of this nature shouldn't even be bothered with
12.04.2015 - 03:26
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 11.04.2015 at 22:00

What the fuck you mean by Hard Music Albums?

Hard/hardish rock, metal, etc., I assume. Probably some types of rap and industrial, too.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
12.04.2015 - 21:25
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Either it's Hard Rock or Hardcore albums. So far what i have heard.

Hard Music albums? What a stupid generalization.
16.04.2015 - 23:46
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
"With hip hop guidelines, I state I never liked authority
When sales control stats, I place no faith in the majority"
-Company Flow
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
17.04.2015 - 02:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

Nothing ironic about that.
Nowadays you reach the position Nightwish reaches with only a handful of albums being sold whereas back in the day they would at least needed to have sold more like 30-50-fold of what they sold now.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 2690 | This month: 5